4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y-pipe installed, reset ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 PM

Y-pipe installed, reset ECU?

I hate asking this, but search is gone.

I just got my Budget y-pipe installed today (after having to see it in my closet all winter).
$30 at Monro Muffler Brake & Service on East Main in Rochester, guy named Bill. Great price.

Anyways, it sounds fine, and I can't test the performace until this freezing rain is gone, but I'm wondering if an ECU reset is a good idea, or if the ECU will adjust by itself over the next week.

Is the learning process done all the time for exhaust sensors etc, or just when it is reset?

Cliff notes: New y-pipe, reset the ECU?

-Smitty
Old 04-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Ramius83

Yes, it is best to reset the ECU after most/any power adders/free-ers....

Old 04-04-2003, 04:15 AM
Old Maxima Legend

?

during the install we unhooked the battery ..and after everything was complete ...we hooked up the power again ... may head unit is like flying a jet, so remember to take down the settings if you do disconnect. anyways ..thats how i reset my ecu ... guess it worked ... the chariot is much faster now
Old 04-04-2003, 05:21 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Ramius83
I don't think that is necessary. Motorvate.ca did NOT reset his ECU after his y-pipe install and dynoed a week later and got +19HP at peak... +31HP at 6200RPM... I'm sure everyone who has a y-pipe here has seen that dyno.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:01 AM

Did adding the y pipe increase the noise level in the car?
Old 04-04-2003, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by davemax
Did adding the y pipe increase the noise level in the car?
Nope, not at all for me. I got the y-pipe and b-pipe with resonator (and kept my stock muffler). Cabin noise is hardly any different than before.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:33 AM

Originally posted by speedemn

Nope, not at all for me. I got the y-pipe and b-pipe with resonator (and kept my stock muffler). Cabin noise is hardly any different than before.
Have you noticed a big difference in performance? I would like to do the same...more power but no more noise. Give us your take!
Old 04-04-2003, 09:53 AM

I changed my whole exhaust (y/cat/bpipe), leaving the same aftermarjet muffler that I had before, the noise level did increase significantly. But from reading other posts on this, I think that leaving/using stock muffler keeps the noise way down.........
Old 04-04-2003, 09:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

theres a nice burble on start-up and i cant tell you if there any difference WOT since all i hear is my intake

eric
Old 04-04-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally posted by goldmax

Have you noticed a big difference in performance? I would like to do the same...more power but no more noise. Give us your take!
Performance gains are definetly great. If I had to do it again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like a quieter, deeper sound, so the stock muffler is good enough for me. I don't mind not having the 1-2HP that I MIGHT gain with an aftermarket muffler (at the expense of a loud Maxima).

So get a resonator on your bpipe and keep your stock muffler and you will be happy.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:35 AM

Performance gains are definetly great. If I had to do it again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I like a quieter, deeper sound, so the stock muffler is good enough for me. I don't mind not having the 1-2HP that I MIGHT gain with an aftermarket muffler (at the expense of a loud Maxima).

So get a resonator on your bpipe and keep your stock muffler and you will be happy.
...and then add a Budget CAI to top it all off. (same price as the y-pipe)
Old 04-04-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by MChapel

...and then add a Budget CAI to top it all off. (same price as the y-pipe)
I still don't see any definitive gains from any intakes out there... Frankencar claims +10HP on the 2K2... does the same apply to gen 4? Then there's the Ingen and Budget CAIs... don't know if you might actually lose some power with those. Gotta get the jury out on that one.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:58 AM

Your profile shows Budget y, B and Test. Does that pass emissions? They do ODBII testing here each year as part of getting the tag renewal...just want to make sure it doesn't mess things up. Does any of these replace the pre-cats, etc.?
Old 04-04-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by goldmax

Your profile shows Budget y, B and Test. Does that pass emissions? They do ODBII testing here each year as part of getting the tag renewal...just want to make sure it doesn't mess things up. Does any of these replace the pre-cats, etc.?
My emissions was done in June... so don't have to do another one until a couple of years (is it every 2 years in Canada?) I have my stock cat to slap back on for emissions.

The y-pipe eliminates the pre-cats.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Ramius83
Resetting your ECU does nothing except erase any error codes. It does not reset any operational parameters.

This info is stated in chapter 6 of the Haynes manual.

If goes even further to say that disconnecting the battery for extended periods of time will erase the general operational parameters of the vehicle and can lead to [b]poor performance[b/] while the ECU relearns everything. It's not recommended to do.

Our ECU is constantly learning, there is never a need to completely reset it to make it learn any changes you make to your engine. It will immediately learn them as you drive.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:36 AM

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Resetting your ECU does nothing except erase any error codes. It does not reset any operational parameters.
Yeah, I looked into that once you mentioned it. The wording is a little misleading when it says:

Clearing the codes will allow the computer to relearn the new operating parameters relayed to the new component.
But it's pretty clear that only applies to a replaced sensor. I always thought that using the screwdriver method on the ECU reset all the engine parameters, but I guess that only happens if you disconnect the battery for a long time.

Thanks for your help!

-Smitty
Old 04-04-2003, 02:06 PM

I think that its pretty much a myth that resetting you ECU when you get new mods will help out with performance. I really dont think it will do anything for performance. Esp after reading that info from the Haynes manuel.