4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Overdrive and gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2003, 08:03 AM

Overdrive and gasoline

Hi,
I've purchased a 1996 Nissan Maxima GLE a couple of months ago.
I've been told many things about what to do and not to do with it. The overdrive is one of my concerns. Some people say to have it on, others say not to. Can someone help me by explaining it to me? Also, what kind of fuel should I put in it(I use Super now).
Thanks,
Tom
Old 04-07-2003, 08:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

usually, the higher the octane fuel the better,

Let me explain the over drive:

what it does:
-it shifts at higher rpms from 1-2, 2-3, it disables the 4th gear (which is the overdrive)

I suggest keeping it on (so that the overdrive light is OFF) while driving normally, the reason is it is better for your gas mileage.

you could turn it off when racing, stop and go highway traffic (where it will allow the use of 4th gear to be disabled and you will have a smoother ride

just my.02
Old 04-07-2003, 08:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by waveridr85
usually, the higher the octane fuel the better,

Let me explain the over drive:

what it does:
-it shifts at higher rpms from 1-2, 2-3, it disables the 4th gear (which is the overdrive)
Umm not quite. It has no effect on the shift points.
It does keep the tranny from shifting into 4th gear, it also keeps the torque converter from locking up which will only happen above 31MPH when the tranny is up to operating temperature.

I suggest keeping it on (so that the overdrive light is OFF) while driving normally, the reason is it is better for your gas mileage.

you could turn it off when racing, stop and go highway traffic (where it will allow the use of 4th gear to be disabled and you will have a smoother ride

just my.02
Definately follow his suggestion and just leave it on during normal day to day driving. You'll get the best gas mileage that way.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:01 AM

OD

yep, really only turn it off when your going to drop the tranny into 1st to stoplight race, then manually shift up to 2nd then drive then hit the over drive button for 4th. when you leave the car in drive shift points are relative to throttle position. Also when driving down the highway at say like 60 you can hit your OD button to drop into 3rd for better passing, but dont do this every time you pass.

have fun
Old 04-07-2003, 09:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

it also keeps the torque converter from locking up which will only happen above 31MPH when the tranny is up to operating temperature.
oops i wass wrong, can you explain that bit in a lil more detail please, i am very interested in this and its effects
Old 04-07-2003, 10:34 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Sure - The torque converter in our cars is a locking type. What this means it that it will lock or enguage just like a clutch does on a 5 speed.

Next time your out driving, watch your tach. You can feel the car shift 1,2 - 2,3 - 3,4 then pay attention to the RPM's. There's another drop that feels like another shift. Thats the torque converter locking up.

When your on the highway at crusing speed, say 60MPH and you step on the gas just a bit more to accellerate, the RPM's will jump from 2K up to about 2500. Thats not a down shift, thats the torgue converter unlocking.

The TC will lock up in 4th gear when your crusing over 30MPH and the tranny is up to operating temp.

A torque converter is a vane pump which transfers power through liquid. In a locking type, a clutch is also present that will connect the engine to the tranny just like a clutch on a 5 speed. There is no engine free spin once the torque converter locks up.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Sure - The torque converter in our cars is a locking type..... There is no engine free spin once the torque converter locks up.
forgive my ignorance, but all this is advantageous because it leads to more efficient power transfer?
Old 04-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Well, the "lock up" converter is not near the capability of a clutch in terms of efficient power transfer. It is up to a point.
The lock-up clutch in a torque converter can't really handle all the power of the engine especially at lower rpms. It will only stay locked up when the throttle is at 1/8 or less open. I am not sure if that is the physics of the converter or if it is only because that is how the transmission computer is programmed.

The lock-up clutch will engage in 3rd gear IF the overdrive is switched off AND when the rpms are past about 3000 AND when the transmission is up to a particular operating temperature (which can take several minutes even after the engine is warmed up).

It seems the lock-up device can handle almost all the engine power in 3rd gear once past 65MPH. At highway speeds, my car pulls harder in third gear with the OD off rather than just hitting the gas and making the transmission automatically kick down to third gear.