4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Paint Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 01:50 PM

Paint Problems

After a winter's worth of auto car washes I noticed paint loss on rear bumper right behind rear wheel. The paint just peeled of in a 3" by 8" strip....OUCH....I also noticed a quarter sized spot on the trunk that looks like the paint just bubbled up and peeled away. Any thoughts on why paint would bubble up in one spot? The car is always garaged.

Not looking forward to having body work done on the car, it looks great otherwise. I would hate to have it messed up.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:02 PM

I have the same problem on my front bumper the paing is just pealling off..

Maybe i will just do a 97 bumper swap on it and get the whole think panted
Old 04-10-2003, 03:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was the bumper ever repainted? If it was, sounds like a poor prep job before spraying the color coat. At this point, all you can do is sand it all down and repaint. For bumpers, the paint should contain the flex additive to prevent cracking.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:10 PM

i dont know if it was ever painted.. it was fine when i bought it and just last year it started chiping..
Old 04-10-2003, 07:22 PM

I got a quote on how much to sand down and repaint my bumper and it came to $360??? Is that a reasonable price??? Please let me know...thanks!
Old 04-11-2003, 06:21 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I have a chip on my (painted at the factory) stock bumper. I always meant to get warranty service if I could but too late now. Paint just doesn't stick to plastic very well.

You have a garage and you're (destroying your car by) running it through automatic car washes?!?!?

Why does the world give people who don't give a **** bout their cars garages, and me, Mr. Exterior Care, hasn't ever had a garage anywhere I've ever lived....I need to buy my own house.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by endus
I have a chip on my (painted at the factory) stock bumper. I always meant to get warranty service if I could but too late now. Paint just doesn't stick to plastic very well.

You have a garage and you're (destroying your car by) running it through automatic car washes?!?!?

Why does the world give people who don't give a **** bout their cars garages, and me, Mr. Exterior Care, hasn't ever had a garage anywhere I've ever lived....I need to buy my own house.
Endus, thank you for your insight on people like me who don't give a **** about our cars. Really helpful! You are also right in that you should buy (unlike me who was given a garage by the "world")your own house so that you may park in a garage. If you would like a referral for a Realtor in your area let me know, as I am also a Realtor.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:14 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Sorry dude, I don't mean to insult you, but you just don't bring your car through and automatic car wash if you care about it. That's just a fundamental truth. With all the harsh soaps, the grit and dirt that is on those big hangy things, the dryers that can scratch your paint, etc. that **** is just no good for your car at all. BEST case scenario is wicked swirl marks. If the auto car wash you go to has spinning brushes...that is at least 10,000 times worse...and that would definitely explain 100% why you have had the paint peel off your bumper.

As for my "world" comment. I have tried to find an apartment with a garage ever since I left college. I have tried to make it a requirement in my searches, but have been unable to find one. Despite that, every place I have lived there have been garages on either side of me, and in some cases all the way up and down the street...mostly two families with renters of course.
Old 04-11-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by endus
Sorry dude, I don't mean to insult you, but you just don't bring your car through and automatic car wash if you care about it. That's just a fundamental truth. With all the harsh soaps, the grit and dirt that is on those big hangy things, the dryers that can scratch your paint, etc. that **** is just no good for your car at all. BEST case scenario is wicked swirl marks. If the auto car wash you go to has spinning brushes...that is at least 10,000 times worse...and that would definitely explain 100% why you have had the paint peel off your bumper.

As for my "world" comment. I have tried to find an apartment with a garage ever since I left college. I have tried to make it a requirement in my searches, but have been unable to find one. Despite that, every place I have lived there have been garages on either side of me, and in some cases all the way up and down the street...mostly two families with renters of course.
Oh....I never use the brush kind, I only use brushless. As a Realtor I often have to drive down dirt roads to show property(which I hate) and subsequently must run the car through a wash a couple of times a week. I am considering buying a classic Jeep Grand Wagoneer from Wagonmasters.com for real estate use, leaving the black Max for me to enjoy.