4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hehehe....I installed a breather filter on my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 10:08 AM

this is what you need
breather filter...get a big one, but not too big..reusable..cleanable...K&N like element
5/8 inch ID radiator hose, length 2ft or so...
3/8 inch ID hose, length 2ft or so...
coupler for the different hose size, prefferably something that can withstand heat and does not absorb heat
coupler for the breather filter and the pipe...depends on the size of your breather
clamps
and something to cover the hole from the air box...
anyhow..
disconnect the hose that is coming from the air box manifold assembly to the engine block...if you look at the front..this is the hose that is on the right, next to the front plugs cover (the one that has nissan writing on it) and next to the auto dipstick...
cover the hole in the air box manifold whatever thingy assembly...
next, connect the 5/8 hose to the engine, clamp it....
now...I have my pipe routed to the cone intake and infront of the FSTB...that is where my breather filter is...
I would suggest you build a breather-adapter-clamp-hose-clamp-adapter to be attached to the 5/8 hose...why? because this way it will be easier to clean up the breather filter cause all you have to do is disconnect the breather assembly, not the whole thing..you have to see it to understand I guess...plus I am working on a surge tank on it (yeah..me car is normally aspirated...I am doing it more for fun...).
Well anyhow...after all is assembled and connected, make sure all is sealed properly...then clean things up..so it does not clutter your engine bay...
for twenty dollar...it is a fun project..performance gain..umm...I don't think so...
I think you gain little more air to be burn with the fuel, but not much...and you don't have to worry about oil going up your intake...err...well..maybe..but anyhow....
I am pretty sure this is very simple and everybody could do it..I do not see any extra HP gain from this (I do not think I should anyway)
It is fun..easy..

Old 01-18-2001, 02:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Interesting addon To me your breather filter is just something extra to clean, so I'll stay without. I have 2 friends with Mustangs who have breather filters with their Mac CAI's, but they also got a whistle after adding their breather. Sounds kinda like a mini supercharger, but gets annoying if you don't listen to the radio. This whistle is only when holding constant speeds, so if you drive at WOT all the time you'll be ok Did you get any extra noise?
-hype
Old 01-19-2001, 01:42 PM

No whistlin...

umm....really?...I could not hear any whistlin at all...
actually...if I open my hood and rev my car...I hear whistlin...but that is not from the breather...it is from the cone intake....
well anyhow...I am going home and will look at that
=]
Thank you for the info...
actually...at one time people were wondering whether or not my car is running or not because it was so quiet...
^_^