4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ok, Here Goes My Transmission!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 09:05 PM
TSW

Ok, Here Goes My Transmission!!!!

Ok, here goes the transmission!

I feel really down today and I feel so sorry for what I did the other night, but the fact is that I need to open the transmission and really fix it.
I got the sound that comes only in 1st and 2nd gears, it is kind of like a track. Very wining sound with kind of whistling effect. And it was not there two days ago. Well kicking clutches and proving that I can beat some one is not worth a damn thing!

Well I need your advice; I still have warranty on my engine and transmission, do you think that they will “buy” me say “I am getting this nose in the 1st and 2nd gears, do you know what could it be?”. I hope it works if not well, BIG MONEY is coming out of my pocket!
Old 04-14-2003, 09:16 PM

Re: Ok, Here Goes My Transmission!!!!

Originally posted by TSW
Ok, here goes the transmission!

...do you think that they will “buy” me say “I am getting this nose in the 1st and 2nd gears, do you know what could it be?”.
Play:

If your car's not all riced-out, you shouldn't have a problem, but it depends on how hard they want to fight any potential warranty claim. That part's not really up to you, of course.

Just take it in & see what they have to say.
Old 04-14-2003, 09:17 PM
Ramius83

Yes, try to get them to fix it under warranty. But if not, it almost sounds like your differential bearings.....

Old 04-14-2003, 10:22 PM

While we're on this topic. . .

Anybody know the difference in sound between failing differential bearings and input shaft bearings?

Based on my research, one of the two is bad in my tranny, but I'm not sure which.

Any help?

-Miles & miles out of warranty.

Old 04-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Banned

Re: Ok, Here Goes My Transmission!!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TSW
[B]Ok, here goes the transmission!

I feel really down today and I feel so sorry for what I did the other night, but the fact is that I need to open the transmission and really fix it.
I got the sound that comes only in 1st and 2nd gears, it is kind of like a track. Very wining sound with kind of whistling effect. And it was not there two days ago. Well kicking clutches and proving that I can beat some one is not worth a damn thing!

Well I need your advice; I still have warranty on my engine and transmission, do you think that they will “buy” me say “I am getting this nose in the 1st and 2nd gears, do you know what could it be?”. I hope it works if not well, BIG MONEY is coming out of my pocket!

just curious what year and how many miles are on your car?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:01 AM
TSW

Re: Re: Ok, Here Goes My Transmission!!!!

Ok, it is 1999 ES, and it has 42.000 mil. on it.

Used to be so sweet and now it's giving me problems.
I drove this thing to this!

I wish i could get it fixed at the diller, since it's covered. But i am not realy sure if they will do it. They are not idiots, right. They know what brings cars like mine to their NISSAN garage!
My CAI and other things will be the first sign that my car wasn't being used to drive at 40mph.

The only thing i am left with, is a HOPE!

P.S. The engine is so good, i never had any probs. The first one is the sound in my trany 1st and 2nd gears only!
Old 04-15-2003, 04:07 AM

Re: While we're on this topic. . .

Originally posted by KWheelzSB
Anybody know the difference in sound between failing differential bearings and input shaft bearings?

Based on my research, one of the two is bad in my tranny, but I'm not sure which.

Any help?

-Miles & miles out of warranty.

Bad Differential Bearings - gear whine, Drive shaft movement, and oil leakage around the axle seals

Bad Input bearings - Makes a clicking nose that sounds like a bad cv joint. The clicking follows the speed of the engine. Most prominent in 1st and second.

I had to replace both diff and input shaft bearings. I think the bad diff. bearings caused the input shaft bearings to start failing. ( lots of metal filings in oil) The parts did not cost too much But the labotr will.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:06 AM

It's true that beating up on anything will make it break faster, but 42000 miles! You might find the section entitled My 5 speed transmission is leaking near the CV inputs in the FAQ interesting reading. I do not drive a five spd, but ericdwong thinks that if you have bad differential carrier bearings it has little to do with the way that you drive, and more to do with incorrect shimming of the bearings when the tranny was assembled.
This was happening to 97s at the time. I don't know if other people have had it happen with 99s. Bottom line is, if it's under warranty then take it back.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:13 AM

With 42K you should have no issues with any warranty repairs.
If they give you hard time contact NissanNA.
FIGHT THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2003, 07:32 AM

Dude! just take it to the dealer and pretend you are dumb...they cant tell you that its your fault and that you broke it unless they saw you do it. Just say its making this sound and you dont know what happened....always works...and worst comes to worst all they will tell you is that its not covered under warranty, but they cant tell you that anyways! cause it is. just take it to the dealer and dont stress over it! Its just a freakeing transmission...
Old 04-15-2003, 08:43 AM
I'm so hood

Its just a freakeing transmission...
Tell that to eric, briguymax, and jay25, etc, etc...or to anyone that gets a $1200+ repair bill for their tranny...

Anyways, take it in, I think it would be pretty uncommon if not extremely rare for driving habits to cause diff bearing failure (would missing gears excessively over time cause this even?), if that is what's going on in your tranny. Have you checked the driveshaft for play/the seals for leakage?

Just act like an innocent everyday customer and if they push you, push back as much as you can. If you're fairly young, maybe bring your dad with you and have him do the pushing.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:58 PM

Re: Re: While we're on this topic. . .

Originally posted by maxger

Bad Differential Bearings - gear whine, Drive shaft movement, and oil leakage around the axle seals

Bad Input bearings - Makes a clicking nose that sounds like a bad cv joint. The clicking follows the speed of the engine. Most prominent in 1st and second.

I had to replace both diff and input shaft bearings. I think the bad diff. bearings caused the input shaft bearings to start failing. ( lots of metal filings in oil) The parts did not cost too much But the labotr will.
Thanks for clarifying.

-K-
Old 04-20-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Re: Re: While we're on this topic. . .

Originally posted by maxger

i thought this problem was only common with the 95-97 maximas? whats up with all the 5 speed trouble from nissan, its an absolute joke. i was thinking about buying a 99 pathfinder 4 x4 5 speed, but i dont think so anymore with all these problems with the 5 speeds.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:30 AM

F the 4th gen tranny. Is it me or are there more and more posts each day about a failing tranny?
Old 04-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ericdwong
F the 4th gen tranny. Is it me or are there more and more posts each day about a failing tranny?

exactly. whats different from the 4th gen max tranny to the pathfinder tranny? do you know? it prob has the same diff bearings.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong

Mine wasn't even abused. This just plain sux. A transmission should last the life of the car if it's not abused, methinks. Too bad, so sad.