4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

getting gas sprayed in your face hurts.... alot.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

getting gas sprayed in your face hurts.... alot.

yes, yes it does. last time i change my fuel filter! i forgot to de-presureize my fuel system, and i finaly got the fuel hose off my i had to stick my face in there so i could see how much further i had to pull on the tubing. so after i wigled my hands around my abs, i pulled with one final grunt, and all of a sudden gas shot out so quickly and sprayed me on my face, eyes, and shirt. i just stumbled back a few steps and rubbed my eyes in shock, and in pain. so i ran inside a flushed my eyes out with water. after the burning went away i went back out to my car. so as i went back, it banged with gas. then it hit me that i forgot to disconnect my battery! ahh! thats the last thing i needed to happen is my car to explode because of the fumes. well regaurdless, and to make along story short, i put it all back together and it works fine.... i think.

on a couple of days i stop and i can smell gas... but i am not sure if it is my imagination, or if there is something wrong.

i also changed my front 3 spark plugs. for some reason i could not get my back 3 out... almost like the wrench was too samll or big. so now i am also experiancing weird "blurps" if you will, when i am at a red light... and also it seems to hesitate when accelerating sometimes. i am gonna have to check everything over later when i get another day off. well thats my story.

Chris
Old 04-16-2003, 12:47 PM

rofl just imagining you stumble backwards with gas all over your face and body! wewt
Old 04-16-2003, 01:08 PM

I know the feeling. I had gas sprayed in my eye when I was a kid. Not fun at all.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: getting gas sprayed in your face hurts.... alot.

Originally posted by Blkmax95c
i also changed my front 3 spark plugs. for some reason i could not get my back 3 out... almost like the wrench was too samll or big. so now i am also experiancing weird "blurps" if you will, when i am at a red light... and also it seems to hesitate when accelerating sometimes. i am gonna have to check everything over later when i get another day off. well thats my story.

Chris
Something tells me that if you change those back three plugs your hesitation issues will go away. How many miles did the old plugs have on them?

Sorry to hear about the gas incident...
Old 04-16-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm so hood

let's just hope that one of the "WARNING: BEFORE YOU DO THIS" messages you pay attention to is the "don't work on your car raised only by a jack", or the warning messages for working with springs, because those could get uglier than a spray in the face.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:48 PM

Another lesson, is to always wear safety goggles and/or side shields.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:51 PM

i just pulled the fuse out for my fuel pump and let the car run for about a min or two to get whatever gas was left out of the lines.

Ant
Old 04-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by ny96max
i just pulled the fuse out for my fuel pump and let the car run for about a min or two to get whatever gas was left out of the lines.

Ant
That is probably the easiest way to do it...
Old 04-16-2003, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: getting gas sprayed in your face hurts.... alot.

Originally posted by ljl10

Something tells me that if you change those back three plugs your hesitation issues will go away. How many miles did the old plugs have on them?

Sorry to hear about the gas incident...
the old ones said "ngk" on them, so that leads me to belive one of the following:

1.) plugs were nevr changed.
or
2.) car was taken to a dealership and was serviced.
or
3.) someone who had the car knew to put ngk's in.

my guess is either 1, or 2... probably and hopefully #2.
Old 04-16-2003, 07:32 PM

I kinda know how that feels! The first time I changed my oil I didnt know that oil came out of the filter when you took it out. I got under my car so I could get a good grip on it and turned it and hot oil came pouring down on my face. I got some in my mouth and all over my face, it wasnt fun.
Old 04-16-2003, 08:21 PM

least u got ur filter off, a couple of days ago i went to do an engine flush and i couldnt get the lil bastard off. so after a while, i jus got a monkey wrench and pretty much tore it off
Old 04-16-2003, 08:48 PM

I had a car battery pop in front of me..... I was about 3 or 4o feet away from it when it happened......... My Dad had a 74 Plymouth Duster, and the battery went out on it..... I helped him charge the battery, and when the batterey was charged, my dad went to start the car, and the top of the battery came off, and I got sprayed with a little bit of the battery acid..... I was extremely lucky that none of it got in my face or eyes.... That happened when I was about 12 years old....
Old 04-16-2003, 08:57 PM

did you wash your engine bay out after you got gas everywhere? if not you probably are smelling it, gas is the kind of stuff that just dosent want to go away.

good luck
Old 04-16-2003, 10:43 PM

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
did you wash your engine bay out after you got gas everywhere? if not you probably are smelling it, gas is the kind of stuff that just dosent want to go away.

good luck
you know what? i didn't even think of that. hmmm, you bring up a valid point. but that i have been driving it more, i don't think i have really smelt the gas anymore. which is good. now i just have to fix my sputtering problem