4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

I took off my IACV, T/B , and the small EGR tube that runs from the back side of the manifold to the engine. All had a little bit of gunk in them but they weren't as bad as I thought. Cleaned everything with BG Air Intake Cleaner. Reassembled and now my car runs like crap. When I'm driving, if I let off the accelerator, the rpm's will drop like normal until they get to 1500 then they shoot back up to 2000 and stay there until I have to come to a stop or I get back on the throttle. I have a Techtom MDM-100 and when I'm parked the rpms stay between 1512-1525 and the timing stays at 15 degrees. Before, the timing would fluctuate between 9-15, but now it stays right on 15 and never moves. It's like I have the TPS unplugged but I don't.

The cleaner I used said to clean everything, reassemble, and then spray the remainder of the can into the intake in short bursts while the car was running. This was the first time I used this kind. I've had good luck with BG44K fuel injector cleaner so I thought this stuff would be good as well.

Does anyone have any idea what I screwed up?
Old 04-19-2003, 05:27 PM
rmb

Re: Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

Originally posted by BSwithTF
I took off my IACV, T/B , and the small EGR tube that runs from the back side of the manifold to the engine. All had a little bit of gunk in them but they weren't as bad as I thought. Cleaned everything with BG Air Intake Cleaner. Reassembled and now my car runs like crap. When I'm driving, if I let off the accelerator, the rpm's will drop like normal until they get to 1500 then they shoot back up to 2000 and stay there until I have to come to a stop or I get back on the throttle. I have a Techtom MDM-100 and when I'm parked the rpms stay between 1512-1525 and the timing stays at 15 degrees. Before, the timing would fluctuate between 9-15, but now it stays right on 15 and never moves. It's like I have the TPS unplugged but I don't.

The cleaner I used said to clean everything, reassemble, and then spray the remainder of the can into the intake in short bursts while the car was running. This was the first time I used this kind. I've had good luck with BG44K fuel injector cleaner so I thought this stuff would be good as well.

Does anyone have any idea what I screwed up?
Sounds like a dead TPS. Unplug it and see if anything is different....

-RMB
Old 04-19-2003, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

Originally posted by rmb

Sounds like a dead TPS. Unplug it and see if anything is different....

-RMB
I tried that. When parked, if I unplug the TPS the rpms fall momentarily and then jump right back up again. I can't get it to idle normally no matter what I try.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Re: Re: Re: Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

I tried that. When parked, if I unplug the TPS the rpms fall momentarily and then jump right back up again. I can't get it to idle normally no matter what I try.
Drive it for 2 or 3 days it will go back down . The commputer is adjusting
Old 04-19-2003, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

No matter how hard you try, cleaning your thottle body will knock your idle speed out of whack... and usually it gets bumped up. The last go around, it knocked the rpms up about 500rpm higher than normal. THe idle speed set screw on the IACV could not get it into range so I had to adjust the throttle plate screw.

Sounds to me like that's what you car is doing. Try setting the idle speed (ie. tps disconnected, engine fully warmed.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:36 PM

I'll give it a couple days.

I tried to adjust the idle screw and it didn't affect it at all. Another wierd thing I noticed is the O2 readings on the Techtom will read lean while the 2 air/fuel meters I have will both be well into the green (rich). I pulled a 0205 code tonight. No MIL, but the code was there when I checked. If it doesn't quit soon, I'll just start swapping parts between mine and my wife's car. It's great having 2 of the same car.

I'll give it time to work out the kinks if it's going to and then I may take it down and see what the dealer says.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:43 PM

Try getting the car in base timing mode. I believe it is by unplugging the TPS while the engine is idling and reving it 3 times over 3000rpm. That should put you in base idle model so you can adjust it.
Old 04-19-2003, 08:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Try getting the car in base timing mode. I believe it is by unplugging the TPS while the engine is idling and reving it 3 times over 3000rpm. That should put you in base idle model so you can adjust it.
I agree. THe IACV screw should definitely do something although it seems to have a range of 250 rpm or so which is very small depending on where the screw currently is set. Larger idle rpm changes need to be done with the throttle plate set screw--you probably need to back it off a bit.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:46 PM

Do you have any leaks in the intake path? If you have a leak you'll get more air than the MAF reads (lean), and you'll also have an erratic idle. Just something else to check.
-hype
Old 04-20-2003, 05:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You have a vacuume leak someplace. More air is getting in around the IACV, or it's not working correctly. Somebody mentioned the idle speed goes out of wack when you clean your TB. Thats not really so. It may go up slightly, but it should go to where it should be. As the TB gets dirty, less air gets around the throttle plate and your idle speed drops slightly. Cleaning it should restore it to where it should be. Your car should run better, not worse.

I'd take the IACV apart again and make sure it's working correctly. Also make sure you have no vacuume leaks, maybe you knocked a hose off someplace.

More air into the intake will increase your idle speed. Thats exactly what has happened to your car. Find the source of the air.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:57 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Re: Re: Re: Problems after IACV, T/B, EGR cleaning.

Trust me ive swapped two TB back and forth for days, dont mess with idle adjustment your car will go back to normal in time wait and dont mess with anything. Let the car solver the probem every time i changed my TB my car idled at 1500rpm.
Old 04-20-2003, 06:47 PM

Good news.

Took the IACV off again and checked everything out, checked out everything on the T/B again, reassembled and............runs like a dream. The idle adjustment screw was wide open so I screwed it back in to where I thought was about right. I only drove it for about 10 minutes tonight but everything was normal. Adjusted the RPM's one last time and everything seems fine. Thanks for all the advise everyone.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
You have a vacuume leak someplace. More air is getting in around the IACV, or it's not working correctly. Somebody mentioned the idle speed goes out of wack when you clean your TB. Thats not really so. It may go up slightly, but it should go to where it should be. As the TB gets dirty, less air gets around the throttle plate and your idle speed drops slightly. Cleaning it should restore it to where it should be. Your car should run better, not worse.

I'd take the IACV apart again and make sure it's working correctly. Also make sure you have no vacuume leaks, maybe you knocked a hose off someplace.

More air into the intake will increase your idle speed. Thats exactly what has happened to your car. Find the source of the air.
I cleaned my throttle body but did not take it off. At the sametime I also put in high flow K&N drop in air filter. My idle is a little higher, especially at start up. Could the high airflow capacity if the new filter have anything to do with that? It's been over a week since the cleaning and adding the filter.