4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

PCV Valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:42 AM

PCV Valve

Can anyone tell me what a PCV valve is and what it does? Where it is located? In an original post, it was recommended that I change it on my 99 SE-L due to having hesitation and poor acceleration. Thanks. Also, what are better spark plugs to use - copper or platinum ? Is NGK a reputable brand? Thanks!
Old 04-22-2003, 08:45 AM

i believe it's located near the throttle body...must have time u just have clean it but not neccessary replace it...
Old 04-22-2003, 08:48 AM

look at the top area of the throttle body. Notice the two cables going to the butterfly plates (gas throttle and crusie control). Right under those cables you will see a big black tube going into the top of the throttle body. Pull that at while pushing the clamp. That is your PCV. Replace dont waiste time cleaning, it only 4 bucks.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:57 AM

Increase Performance

Originally posted by 95GreekMaxSE
look at the top area of the throttle body. Notice the two cables going to the butterfly plates (gas throttle and crusie control). Right under those cables you will see a big black tube going into the top of the throttle body. Pull that at while pushing the clamp. That is your PCV. Replace dont waiste time cleaning, it only 4 bucks.

Has anyone replaced this and noticed an increase in performance?
My car seems to lag and be hesitant. Does the PCV valve take a long time time to replace?
Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 AM

i've replaced it but i did it after i cleaned the throttle body and did a full tune up (spark plugs, fuel filter, oil change, tranny flush, Knock sensor replacement, o2 sensor replacement) so i couldnt tell if that made any difference but everything together made the car drive better than it did when i bought it.

its a little hard to get out but with some elbo greese and a some know how it isnt that bad.. alot easer to get to than the fuel filter
Old 04-22-2003, 09:22 AM

Re: Increase Performance

Originally posted by NisMax615

My car seems to lag and be hesitant. Does the PCV valve take a long time time to replace?
Try cleaning your throttle body first and you'll notice a significant improvement. The PCV valve replacement takes about 20 minutes. You need to loosen some of the hoses and brackets around it in order to get good access. I have a 97 and used a 10 MM socket to remove the brackets. Be careful you don't drop any of those bolts into the engine. Use a pair of pliers to remove the old valve (after you've remove the clip and hose). You'll need to apply a lot of downward pressure to seat the new valve. Instead of hammering it down I was able to apply sufficient pressure by using an 6 inch piece of tubing. The tubing was the same diameter as the valve so I put the tube on top of the valve and pressed down.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:27 AM

yes..the PCV alone will make a big differerence if running the original PCV. Car should be more steady at idle and had known to eliminiate rattling and vibration at idle. While you are at it clean your TB..have you cchanged spraks. Not neccessary to change snesors unless otherwiese indicated by CEL.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:43 AM

Re: Increase Performance

I'm not going to tell you it I did it in 5 or 10 minutes like some told me when I asked that question. For your first time changing it, it should take you 30 minutes or about that. Half that time is spent figuring out the best way to get to it. As for increased performance, "maybe" at best. I got the biggest jump in performance, after changing the fuel filter and cleaning the throttle body. I got more from that then when I changed the spark plugs.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Increase Performance

Use tubing to seat the valve. Put a tube over the top of the valve to lower it over the hole. Then push down with something. Use the hose to keep it stable over the opening. Helped me a lot.

Originally posted by JonnyCum Lately

Try cleaning your throttle body first and you'll notice a significant improvement. The PCV valve replacement takes about 20 minutes. You need to loosen some of the hoses and brackets around it in order to get good access. I have a 97 and used a 10 MM socket to remove the brackets. Be careful you don't drop any of those bolts into the engine. Use a pair of pliers to remove the old valve (after you've remove the clip and hose). You'll need to apply a lot of downward pressure to seat the new valve. Instead of hammering it down I was able to apply sufficient pressure by using an 6 inch piece of tubing. The tubing was the same diameter as the valve so I put the tube on top of the valve and pressed down.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:01 AM

Do it..

it's a cheap and easy fix
Old 04-22-2003, 10:24 AM

Re: PCV Valve

Can anyone tell me what a PCV valve is and what it does? Where it is located? In an original post, it was recommended that I change it on my 99 SE-L due to having hesitation and poor acceleration. Thanks. Also, what are better spark plugs to use - copper or platinum ? Is NGK a reputable brand? Thanks!
Not 100% sure, but i believe that the pcv valve returns unburned gases to be burned again. Basically, it probably won't increase performance all that much, and if it does, you won't feel it. Maybe a little better gas mileage... a little
Old 04-22-2003, 11:10 AM

Re: Re: PCV Valve

Originally posted by markargente

Not 100% sure, but i believe that the pcv valve returns unburned gases to be burned again. Basically, it probably won't increase performance all that much, and if it does, you won't feel it. Maybe a little better gas mileage... a little
That would be theh EGR Valve