4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to black out chrome window trim?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2003 | 12:02 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how to black out chrome window trim?

what are some good ways to black out the chrome window trim? i have a gle and the SE's have black as opposed to the chrome colored window trim. any suggestions of how?
Old 05-10-2003 | 12:47 AM
Custom User Title...

there is a tape at autozone for that. it might be made by 3m, not sure, maybe though cuz they make everything like that. try there...
Old 05-10-2003 | 01:27 AM

go to the 5th gen forum, click on 'how to instuctions' (bottom of page 3), you will find a detailed write up of the procedure.
Old 05-10-2003 | 01:19 PM

hey cool. im worried tho that the tape could peel off after a while? would it be feasible just to completely replace the trim from an SE?
Old 05-10-2003 | 01:20 PM

hey cool thanks. im worried that the tape may peel off over time, or that up close, it may look cheap. would it be feasible to jus replace the entire trim from an SE?
Old 06-07-2003 | 10:28 AM

hey cool. buy an SE.
Old 06-07-2003 | 11:43 AM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

My brother used electrical tape for his 4th gen accord. I was exactly the right length. When he told me about it I imagined it would look real ghetto, but it actually turned out pretty well and even lasted through a whole winter.
Old 06-08-2003 | 06:32 PM

If you want to do it right follow the steps below (this is what I would do, follow at your own risk):

1) sand with at least 220 grit sand paper or finer. You will also want to do the other black trim (even what's on the c-pillar)
2) tape EVERYTHING around what you want to paint. Overspray will get everywhere.
3) spray all the black parts with a primer and let it dry
4) Spray with flat balck paint. Use a couple of heavy coats. If it runds, just sand the run and paint again. Krylon works good. I've been wanting to try that BBQ grill paint as it's supposed to withstand high heat (like from the sun).
5) Untape, pull up and away so as not to peel the paint.
6) You may have some overspray on the windows. If so, just use a fine steel wool (0000 or finer). Be sure to get all of the steel wool filings off the car (use an air hose). If they get wet they may rust.

If you have overspray on painted surfaces use mineral spirits to remove, but ensure to wipe away quickly. You may even want to wax that area, depending on how **** you are.
Old 06-09-2003 | 07:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaxWilk
If you want to do it right follow the steps below (this is what I would do, follow at your own risk):

1) sand with at least 220 grit sand paper or finer. You will also want to do the other black trim (even what's on the c-pillar)
2) tape EVERYTHING around what you want to paint. Overspray will get everywhere.
3) spray all the black parts with a primer and let it dry
4) Spray with flat balck paint. Use a couple of heavy coats. If it runds, just sand the run and paint again. Krylon works good. I've been wanting to try that BBQ grill paint as it's supposed to withstand high heat (like from the sun).
5) Untape, pull up and away so as not to peel the paint.
6) You may have some overspray on the windows. If so, just use a fine steel wool (0000 or finer). Be sure to get all of the steel wool filings off the car (use an air hose). If they get wet they may rust.

If you have overspray on painted surfaces use mineral spirits to remove, but ensure to wipe away quickly. You may even want to wax that area, depending on how **** you are.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

They make a product specifically for this and you can return it to stock if and when you sell.

i used a product called Trimbrite, ti is available at Autozone. Get at least three rolls,

D
Old 06-09-2003 | 07:24 PM

Originally posted by dlicari

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid

They make a product specifically for this and you can return it to stock if and when you sell.

i used a product called Trimbrite, ti is available at Autozone. Get at least three rolls,

D
Any pics? I checked your homepage but the only pick that looked like it was done was in the garage so you couldn't see too well. If it looks good I'm definitely going to do it. How much is it also?
Old 06-09-2003 | 07:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RapidMax

Any pics? I checked your homepage but the only pick that looked like it was done was in the garage so you couldn't see too well. If it looks good I'm definitely going to do it. How much is it also?
Like $4 dollars a roll but get three.
It looks like it is supposed to. All the chrome is now black
D
Old 06-10-2003 | 07:58 AM

just use the trimbrite stuff from autozone. make sure ya leave some overlap on the ends of the trims for shrinkage. thats the only thing i did wrong and still havent gotten around to fixin it. otherwise it looks great til ya get about a foot away from it. good luck