4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Is there a wire that comes from the ECU that controls the CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2003, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Is there a wire that comes from the ECU that controls the CEL?

I'm still looking in to hooking up a switch to my CEL and I'd rather not pull apart my dash to do it. I'm wondering if there is a wire in the ECU harness that controls the CEL. That way I can just break the wire and hook it up to a switch. I have a diagram of the ECU from the Haynes manual but I don't see anything useful.

ZuM
Old 05-11-2003, 08:47 PM

Pin 18 on the ECM is the return from the MIL lamp. The terminal is pulled to ground to turn on the MIL. The MIL gets its power from the same source that is used for the vehicle speed sensor so don't mess with this end.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:15 PM

put a picture of your girlfriend in the way :P
Old 05-11-2003, 09:23 PM

DOH! =P I guess I'll have to disable the light from the other end. Thanks!

Originally posted by DougAtoms
Pin 18 on the ECM is the return from the MIL lamp. The terminal is pulled to ground to turn on the MIL. The MIL gets its power from the same source that is used for the vehicle speed sensor so don't mess with this end.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:24 PM

What if her eyes start glowing orange? I'd be freaked out.

Originally posted by s0ber
put a picture of your girlfriend in the way :P
Old 05-11-2003, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
What if her eyes start glowing orange? I'd be freaked out.

Old 05-11-2003, 09:40 PM

If you open the wire at pin 18, you should be OK. This is ground wire for the MIL. In other words, the ECU will switch (connect) pin 18 to ground in order to light the MIL. Putting a manual switch in the wire on pin 18 will prevent the ECU from being able to light the MIL. Sorry for too much electrical lingo.

FYI: The 12vdc positive (+) feed to the MIL is always supplied when the ignition key is on. This same feed also supplies the Vehicle speed sensor. The speed sensor uses a seperate ground path. That's what I meant in my first post, sorry for the confusion. The girl friend picture is a worthy alternative to the wire/switch solution. You can also just not look at the light too.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:49 PM

Okay, so cutting the wire from pin 18 is okay. I guess I'll play around with it. Thank you. Very good information.

Originally posted by DougAtoms
If you open the wire at pin 18, you should be OK. This is ground wire for the MIL. In other words, the ECU will switch (connect) pin 18 to ground in order to light the MIL. Putting a manual switch in the wire on pin 18 will prevent the ECU from being able to light the MIL. Sorry for too much electrical lingo.

FYI: The 12vdc positive (+) feed to the MIL is always supplied when the ignition key is on. This same feed also supplies the Vehicle speed sensor. The speed sensor uses a seperate ground path. That's what I meant in my first post, sorry for the confusion. The girl friend picture is a worthy alternative to the wire/switch solution. You can also just not look at the light too.