4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 09:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brake Replacement Questions

Well its time for me to get new front brakes. I have gone through a set of Porterfield pads and am about metal on metal. The guys at the tire place told me my rotors are turning blue b/c they have gotten so hot so fast so many times. Do I need to replace them just b/c they are blue? If so what is the next step up. Are brembo rotors better than what I have on there now. Do I need to go slotted/cross drilled? If I were to do something like that is it fine to leave the back brakes stock? Thanks for any help, I need to do something about this in the next week.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

blue? are they cracked? highly grooved? warped?
Old 05-22-2003, 05:38 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

If they are not badly cracked (tiny little heat cracks are ok), warped or too thin, they whould be fine.

Have them turned when you get new pads and you should be fine
Old 05-22-2003, 08:12 AM

Brembo slotted and cross-drilled rotors are a favorite for many racing cars and motorcycles. They will offer better heat dissipation for frequent, hard braking--but I believe that they will not outlast stock rotors. The best thing to make rotors last longer is....to avoid hard stops... (duh)
Old 05-22-2003, 08:37 AM
rmb

Re: Brake Replacement Questions

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
Well its time for me to get new front brakes. I have gone through a set of Porterfield pads and am about metal on metal. The guys at the tire place told me my rotors are turning blue b/c they have gotten so hot so fast so many times. Do I need to replace them just b/c they are blue? If so what is the next step up. Are brembo rotors better than what I have on there now. Do I need to go slotted/cross drilled? If I were to do something like that is it fine to leave the back brakes stock? Thanks for any help, I need to do something about this in the next week.
If you're really cooking the rotors that badly(like autox-ing or road racing) then I'd be thinking of a real brake upgrade with larger rotors and calipers. Personally I think the stock brakes are pretty good for what they were meant for but horribly under-sized if you're really racing with repeated high-speed stops..... Slotted/x-drilling looks cool but isn't going to help with cooling. The only thing that will is more mass(bigger rotors) or better ducting of air to the rotors.....

-RMB

-RMB
Old 05-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well I don't autox or road race but I do live in a hilly area and drive pretty fast. All the guy said was that my rotors were blue. I do not see any cracks and I don't think they are warped badly either. I had rear brakes put on at the dealership the week before and they just suggested I turn my front rotors. I guess I will just buy some more Porterfield pads and get the rotors turned. Are those pads still pretty good?