4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Y pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003, 04:06 PM

Y pipe

I know that Y-pipes give big gains, but I read they're for off-road use only (technically). I live in New York and have to get inspected every year. Will a Y pipe make me not pass? Is there anyway around that once installed other than taking it off every time? Which one should I get?
Old 05-22-2003, 04:36 PM

emission-wise, you should pass as long as your car is warmed up. if the shop does a visual inspection, and are asses about it, i think they could technically fail you. i'd just ask around at shops before you get the inspection done. lol, i had a guy here look at my blue lights/clears/ect... and say, "if they sell it, it must be street legal"
Old 05-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Handsome

Re: Y pipe

Originally posted by Galager
I know that Y-pipes give big gains, but I read they're for off-road use only (technically). I live in New York and have to get inspected every year. Will a Y pipe make me not pass? Is there anyway around that once installed other than taking it off every time? Which one should I get?
If your car is 96 or newer all they will do is hook up an OBD-II to the computer, if it has no codes you pass. As far as emissions once your car is warmed up you will be fine.

As for the Y-pipe I went with Warspeed aluminized. It was extremely light, straighter than the stillen Y-pipe, and it did not have a tag like the Stillen that says off road only.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:47 PM
The original VQ...

Re: Re: Y pipe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Street Reeper
hey i like your profile, were did get that artice from, do you have to hole thing??i want to show my boy with his n/a 300z.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Handsome

Re: Re: Re: Y pipe

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
Originally posted by Street Reeper
hey i like your profile, were did get that artice from, do you have to hole thing??i want to show my boy with his n/a 300z.
The 3rd gen max and 300z had the same motor, see what Motortrend (1995) said about the comparison of these engines, that should give you some ammo, as well as the last article talking about the 5th gen (which is the same engine as the fourth) and how they think the VQ is the best V6 in the world regardless of price.

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994

"The test gear must be screwed up. Zero to 60 in 6.6 seconds? No way!" It took nearly a dozen acceleration runs, two sets of fifth wheels, and three drivers to confirm what non of us could believe: This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."

"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run, 0.83g skidpad cornering power and a 65.1-mph slalom run. That tops the Taurus SHO five-speed in every category. The new Maxima shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green."

Automobile Magazine, September 1995 - Four Seasons Test

"The Nissan Maxima has one of the world's truly great engines….There are few cars that I will unhesitatingly recommend to someone who is looking for a new car. I put the Nissan Maxima into that category the first time I drove one. After our four-season experience, it is still in that category."

Automobile Magazine, 1995

"We were not ready for the Maxima SE. It just knocked us out. We expected refinement and maturity that come with a freshly redesigned car, but we weren't expecting greatness."

Motor Trend, February 1995

One of the technical high points of the '95 Maxima is its new V-6 engine, which is standard in all models. This new VQ powerplant is similar in configuration to the VG-series it replaces: Both are 3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC 60-degree sixes. But that's where the parallels end. The revolutionary VQ is smaller, lighter, cleaner, cheaper to build, and easier to maintain. It also makes more power and torque yet delivers better fuel economy."

Awards: (For 95)

Motor Trend Import Car of the Year February 1995

Automobile Magazine All-Stars List February 1995

Car & Driver Ten Best Cars January 1995

---Fifth gen article---
Ward's Auto World, January 2001 - For the seventh year in a row, Nissan's VQ motor--which powers the new Pathfinder, Maxima/Infiniti I30 and the new Z--was named to Ward's Auto World's "Ten Best Engines of the Year" award list. The VQ is the only engine in the world to receive the award every year since the list has been compiled. In speaking of the VQ, Ward's said, "We've said it before and we'll say it again. There isn't a better V6 in automotivedom--regardless of price." Joining the VQ on the list were powerplants from Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM