4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2003, 10:19 AM

Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU

WTF?!?!?!?! I was working on my car....and decided to check my PCV valve, I took it out with ease...so that it was a little dirty but not clogged. There was this screw like thing insde that wont cme out..felt like it was on a spring or something. I hope that is suppose to be there. Anyways, so i put it back cause I didnt have a new one, I also disconnected that "MAF sensor ground addition" mod because it wasnt doing anythign for me. I also took out my knock sensor to see what was up with it because i kept getting the code for it. I made sure the wire was connected to it and put it back. I go to turn on my car...and I feel that there is something a little better about the car. SOOOOO I check the ecu, and all I get it knock sensor code. I reset it and drive around the block, I go on WOT a few times and get back home. When I check the ECU codes, i get a new code! 05 04 which is Automatic Transmission Control Unit Signal to ECU. What in the word does this mean? I had a feeling something was wrong, because I would slam on the gas, and it would take like 2 seconds to downshift. Remember I have horrible gasemileage and that bad idling. Can some1 tell me what this code means or if you have teh search feature can you searc a couple of threads on this code for me? Thanks I appreciate it.

Devon
Old 05-23-2003, 10:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Reset it and pray it doesn't come back.
Nissan had to replace my ECU under warranty when that code popped up. Car seemed to drive completely normal except for the CEL.
Old 05-23-2003, 11:03 AM

The PCV valve should have that metal thing with a spring. It should also rattle like a package of flower seeds. The reason being that it is spring loaded to allow for great/lesser flow of re-circulated air to be burned in the combustion chamber. If ever the car backfired, the force would slam the valve closed (due to its spring-loaded action) and prevent a massive fireball from traveling into places it should not and destroying your intake and other systems.
A PCV valve that does not rattle may have a dead spring or is filthy and gummed up. Do not try to clean the valves. It is not worth the effort for such a little cost. Plus, the old valve will have contaminants trapped inside, not matter how clean you think it may be. These contaminants are exactly what the valve is designed to destroy by burning excess gases in the chamber.
Do a search on google, you'll find all you wanted to know about PCV valves.
Old 05-23-2003, 03:15 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Reset it and pry it doesn't come back.

pray.. not pry
Old 05-23-2003, 04:41 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by redmaxpa007

pray.. not pry
Woops,

Me fix!
Old 05-23-2003, 07:10 PM

LoL, well I reset the ECU, code has not come back, but I dont know why I got it in teh first place. Even now, I still press the gass to WOT and the car "lag" and take a while to downshift. My car is doing horrible, I dont know what to do. I think this is where Ifinally take it to the dealer