4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

97 Alarm Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 05:21 AM

97 Alarm Question?

Today I could not lock my car with the alarm device(keyless entry remote). I only can lock it manually with my keys on the door. I also noticed when I take the key out of the ignition, turn off the lights and open the door, the beeping sound still stays on. The car thinks I left the keys in the ignition or left the lights on. Has anybody ever had this problem? How can I fix it?
Old 05-29-2003, 08:07 AM

It sounds like the two are related (duh), because the remote will not work if the key is in the ignition, and you said that the car beeps as if the key is still in (the car would arm if you left the lights on). Check your ignition cylinder (where you put the key in) for any debris. If I were you, I would first spray some WD-40 (only a bit) on the key and insert it a few times, in and out. You might want to try it with the door open so you can hear if the beeping stops. It may be that one of the little pins in the key cylinder is sticking. Another way to tell if a pin (or pins) is/are sticking is to insert the key half-way and see if the ignition cylinder will turn over. My dad had a Mercury Sable that you could put the key in, turn to ACC or ON, then remove the key and start the car (those cars had a dial-like ignition that you could hold on and turn at the same time as you turned the key).

You may need a new ignition-key cylinder. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:43 AM

I will try what you have suggested. I will only be able to install a new ignition in July because I will be away for a while. Should I buy the ignition new or used and how do I keep the same key
Thanks again
Old 05-29-2003, 08:49 AM

The dealer may have to set the key for you. If it is anything like a deadbolt (configuration of pins, I mean) or a regular lock, often the old key is needed to "open" the shaft and reset the pins. Used would definitely be cheaper. Call around (locksmiths, dealer, etc. ) and find out pricing to have cylinder shaft "set" to your key, if possible.