4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Alignment soon, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2003, 07:18 AM
Custom User Title

Need Alignment soon, Please Help!

I installed my KYB/Sprint suspension about a month ago..I will need an alignment soon.. And my question was to the people with Sprint springs or any spring close to the drop of Sprint..Do you need camber bolts to get the camber back to within spec or will it be fine without the bolts?? Help is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I've heard of people being fine without them but other people needing them...Please help me straighten this out!
Old 05-31-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: Need Alignment soon, Please Help!

Originally posted by ImStockBaby
I installed my KYB/Sprint suspension about a month ago..I will need an alignment soon.. And my question was to the people with Sprint springs or any spring close to the drop of Sprint..Do you need camber bolts to get the camber back to within spec or will it be fine without the bolts?? Help is appreciated. Thanks!

PS: I've heard of people being fine without them but other people needing them...Please help me straighten this out!
I needed them.....It's only about $32 from the TireRack. You might want to install them yourself if the shop charges money to put them on...
Old 05-31-2003, 07:42 AM
i SeE what you did therE

most people do not need them

genepool, you are the first person who i have seen that said the needed them.. most people get them as a "just in case" but they were never needed

Old 05-31-2003, 07:50 AM

Since the tie rods don't get taken off the hubs, the toe shouldn't change significantly when the struts are changed. If you are worried about getting enough negative camber, loosen the strut bolts (the ones that connect the struts to the wheel hubs) and put some weight on the outside of the brake rotor by lifting on it with a hydraulic jack. With the pressure applied, tighten the bolts, and make sure they are tight!

This might not make their camber exactly the same, but at least it won't be too far positive, which grinds the outside of the tire off.

I would just recommend this with the stock bolts, as doing it with the 'camber' bolts would be too much.

Good Luck!
Old 05-31-2003, 08:39 AM

I didn't have a problem with positive camber, it was too negative (1.2). I definitely noticed inside wear of my tires after 3,000 miles. I figured $30 in bolts is cheap insurance for replacing tires that are at least $125 a peace.
Old 05-31-2003, 01:36 PM
Custom User Title

Originally posted by n2oMike
Since the tie rods don't get taken off the hubs, the toe shouldn't change significantly when the struts are changed. If you are worried about getting enough negative camber, loosen the strut bolts (the ones that connect the struts to the wheel hubs) and put some weight on the outside of the brake rotor by lifting on it with a hydraulic jack. With the pressure applied, tighten the bolts, and make sure they are tight!

This might not make their camber exactly the same, but at least it won't be too far positive, which grinds the outside of the tire off.

I would just recommend this with the stock bolts, as doing it with the 'camber' bolts would be too much.

Good Luck!
Interesting..Have any idea if the camber is too negitive? I'm starting to notice uneven wear only after about 500 miles.

redmaxpa007: Your car seems about as low as mine, the alignment guys had no trouble with adjusting camber and toe?
Old 06-01-2003, 06:14 AM
i SeE what you did therE

no problems
Old 06-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you won't need them. I just lowered my car yesterday with the same setup sprint/agx and then I took it to the alignment and didn't need the camber adjusted. But if you want I can sell you a brand new Eibach camber bolts kit.
Old 06-01-2003, 10:13 AM
rmb

Re: Need Alignment soon, Please Help!

Just get the $40 bolts, install them and let the alignment guys futz with them if you're out of spec. I wish I did, I've got one wheel at -1.7 degrees camber......

Also your toe WILL be out of spec since you dropped it. That needs to be fixed....

-RMB
Old 06-02-2003, 05:58 PM
Custom User Title

BAH!@#

Im a little confused, there have been alot of people saying camber bolts are NOT needed and yet in the Haynes manual (Pg. 10-17) says Camber is NOT adjustable, forcing you to get the bolts??
Someone please help, i dont want to spend $30 on bolts and later find out i didnt need them..

Just get the $40 bolts, install them and let the alignment guys futz with them if you're out of spec. I wish I did, I've got one wheel at -1.7 degrees camber......

-RMB
The wheel of yours that is out of spec wouldn't happen to be the front passenger side wheel would it?? Because on my car you can tell with the naked eye is has EXTREME negitive camber but the driver side isn't so bad.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by optimus310
you won't need them. I just lowered my car yesterday with the same setup sprint/agx and then I took it to the alignment and didn't need the camber adjusted. But if you want I can sell you a brand new Eibach camber bolts kit.
How do you know you didn't need the camber adjusted? What were the readings? Some shops will align the car even if the camber is -1.2 and not say anything at all..... When i first dropped the car, i was -1.2 on both sides. I noticed tire wear and decided to get the bolts. Think of it like this, $30 is a drop in the bucket compared to the price of a new suspension setup or the cost of new tires.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:15 PM
Custom User Title

Ok i am going to get the bolts..they are only 10 bucks each (pt# 13035420)at www.gmpperformance.com (btw, anyone have any buying experiences with them?) It's a bolt by Ingalls that is adjustable -1 to +1..I think this is what I need. Genepool u did a good job convincing me to buy them now that u mentioned the price of new tires
Old 06-02-2003, 08:21 PM
rmb

Re: BAH!@#

Im a little confused, there have been alot of people saying camber bolts are NOT needed and yet in the Haynes manual (Pg. 10-17) says Camber is NOT adjustable, forcing you to get the bolts??
Someone please help, i dont want to spend $30 on bolts and later find out i didnt need them..

The wheel of yours that is out of spec wouldn't happen to be the front passenger side wheel would it?? Because on my car you can tell with the naked eye is has EXTREME negitive camber but the driver side isn't so bad.
I think it is my driver's side actually that's well out of camber spec..... But my point is some people will need the adjustment and some won't. Either way it's a better bet to get the bolts for $40 and have the ability to do something about it while it's on the rack rather than paying twice and going through all the hassle a second time....

-RMB