4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My New Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 01:49 PM

I think I'm gonna go Stillen S/c intercooled. My friend's benz is S/c intercooled.

Anyone have any info on this setup. Is the IC really worth anything. I figure when you're going 80 MPH a lot of air will effectively cool down the charge.
Old 01-26-2001, 04:07 PM
BlkCat

I've read the Vortech literature that came with my S/C and it mentions that they have available some racing application that allows you to put ice water so that it cools down the inpipe. The Stillen catalogue shows only an intercooler for the 300ZX but nothing for the Maxima, so you'll probably have to get one custom built.

Old 01-26-2001, 04:13 PM

Can someone please explain to me exactly what an intercooler does?
Does it cool the air, or the turbo?
Does it use liquid running through it like a radiator or air?
Please, I haven't been able to find any good info on this.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2001, 04:26 PM
BlkCat

Here's what Sport Compact Car Feb. issue says " Compressing air makes it hot; this is an inescapable fact of nature. The more efficient the compressor, the less it heats the air, but the heating still occurs and it is still significant. Cooling that air before it goes into the engine can have a profound effect on performance." An engine runs better with cold air than hot thus the intercooler was created.

Old 01-26-2001, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
I think I'm gonna go Stillen S/c intercooled. My friend's benz is S/c intercooled.

Anyone have any info on this setup. Is the IC really worth anything. I figure when you're going 80 MPH a lot of air will effectively cool down the charge.
So when did you decide to go forced induction? Thought you were gonna get a Lotus? heh heh heh Well, that's cool. When you planning for this to happen? Good luck with it man!
Old 01-26-2001, 09:30 PM

Cold air has a higher pressure than hot air. When cold air is drawn into engine for compression, it produces more power. By cooling the air, either in turbo charged, supercharged, or naturally aspirated engines will more or less increase the horsepower. An intercooler can be thought of as a radiator, only it cools air, not water.
Old 01-27-2001, 12:29 AM

I dunno about the Lotus just now. I figured having two cars, two insurance bills, etc. Rigth now I'm just gonna make the Maxima FAST as hell so I have no desire for a fast car.

The amount I can spend to make the Maxima insanely fast isn't all that much.

Plus the shock people go into when they see how fast my Max is now is priceless. I can't wait to see the faces with teh SC
Old 01-27-2001, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Post some info once you get the s/c intercooler combo Brian In reply to some earlier posts about how the intercooler works http://www.howstuffworks.com is a great site for learning. It breaks everything down into basic components, and they have everything from how your engine works to LSDs, cams, spark plugs, forced induction, etc.
-hype
Old 01-27-2001, 09:26 AM

Plus the shock people go into when they see how fast my Max is now is priceless.
haha, we all know the feeling
Old 01-27-2001, 09:48 AM

TurboCharger calculator

Check this out

<A HREF=http://www.turbofast.com.au/tfcalc.html>WOW!!!</A>
Old 01-27-2001, 09:55 AM

Ahhh, not really....

Originally posted by nixima
Cold air has a higher pressure than hot air. When cold air is drawn into engine for compression, it produces more power. By cooling the air, either in turbo charged, supercharged, or naturally aspirated engines will more or less increase the horsepower. An intercooler can be thought of as a radiator, only it cools air, not water.
Gasses increase pressure with increased temperature. That's what makes your engine work (combustion). As someone correctly mentioned, the inverse is also true (compressed gasses also heat up). So when the turbo, s/c, or whatever, increases pressure, the intake temp will also increase. If the intake is too hot, the a/f mixture can ignite in the cylinder as the piston compresses it (heating again), and b4 the plug fires. This of course, is detonation which can destroy the engine.

By cooling the air after it is compressed, higher boosts can be used which means more oxygen-fuel-power.

Old 01-27-2001, 12:05 PM

I know how an intercooler works. I know how a supercharger works. I know the differences between that and a turbo. I didn't ask the questions. I just simply wanted to know if people thought the itnercooler would be beneficial with the supercharger. Since the supercharger is belt driven and not exhaust driven it's not going to be as hot. I was just trying to see if anyone had any experience?
Old 01-27-2001, 08:56 PM

I know how an intercooler works. I know how a supercharger works. I know the differences between that and a turbo. I didn't ask the questions. I just simply wanted to know if people thought the itnercooler would be beneficial with the supercharger. Since the supercharger is belt driven and not exhaust driven it's not going to be as hot. I was just trying to see if anyone had any experience?
hey brian you buying the one i told you about? if you are give me a call or email, gotta tell you something...
Old 01-27-2001, 09:07 PM

skimax I'm prolly not gonna get that one you told me about. Right now I just don't have enough money. I'm going to save up for a while and then get it. Shouldn't be too long.
Old 01-27-2001, 10:22 PM

I believe Vortech makes...

an aftercooler. Same function as an intercooler, except it uses water to cool the air before the throttle body, or is it the MAFS? I once looked into getting a custom intercooler done. The design of the Stillen kit would easily allow for a front mount intercooler, HOWEVER, you would need a pretty slim intercooler to dop a front mount set-up. There isn't much room to work with and it's expensive to do.

In all hoensty, I would geta custome cold-air intake for the S/C before going for an intercooler or aftercooler. More bang for the $$$