4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 09:07 AM

How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

I've seen a lot of mods that all give btwn 5 and 20 HP gains, but would you actually notice it? I'm not saying if you got all the mods, but if you just got 1 or 2. thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 09:12 AM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

You more then likely will not notice the gains of an intake (~4-9whp). The vast majority of people here CAN however feel the gains of a y-pipe. In most cases it adds 14-18fwhp/15-18fwtq. I could feel my car tug harder in the midrange powerband with the addition of my downpipe.

Oh....you kind of notice a power gain with a supercharger or turbocharger too.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

HP is a subjective term. In alot of cases, when there is an increase in HP it won't register on your butt-dyno. Some mods, rather than allowing the car to pull harder, allow it to pull longer in the rev range, instead of the car just dying as it approaches redline. A y-pipe is probably the only N/A mod you will actually feel. Torque is what you actually feel. HP is just a function of TQ relative to RPM.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:23 AM

yeah, i knew tourqe was what I was really wondering about but most parts tell about their HP increase and not their torque increase, thats the only reason why I asked about HP. But yeah, I was just wondering about "butt-dyno" like you said and I guess the y-pipe is the only mod that will do it. thanks
Old 06-09-2003, 09:23 AM

You probably can't feel anything under ~10 HP or so. With a mod that increases noise it is easy to be fooled that your car feels faster, like an intake for example. A stick can probably feel smaller gains because of the direct connection between the engine and wheels.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:53 AM

Re: How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

I have done lots of mods and not felt horsepower until a day or two later. Sometimes the conditions that day affect the cars performance. Rain, humidity temp. Also most often I judge my mods by how that my car feels with just me in it compared to how it feels with one or more passengers. The best mods are the ones that make your car pull the same way with 3 people as it did with you alone before the mod. Which the y-pipe did for me.
Also loosing weight in the car is very noticable, Wheels/tires and of course driving alone.
Old 06-09-2003, 09:53 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Like IwANnAMaX96 said, most mods work to smooth out the torque curve or make it linear into a higher rpm.
Horsepower = torque x RPM / 5252
so if a mod allows peak torque to happen 300 rpm later. you have a HP gain of about 10-15hp that you will feel at high RPM.
Its all about moving around the torque curve.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Bmr4life
I've seen a lot of mods that all give btwn 5 and 20 HP gains, but would you actually notice it? I'm not saying if you got all the mods, but if you just got 1 or 2. thanks
You will notice an increase with a y pipe and cold air intake.

You will also notice an increase with a five speed conversion, supercharger and turbo.

You wil not notice a difference with a muffler, straight pipe, indiglow gauges or stickers.

Do some searching as this has been posted countless times, I think someone even created a sticky with the HP gains from specific mods?

What is your goal? 1/4 mile times
Beating your buddy in a race?

Making your car sound louder?

Be a little more specific.
d
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM

I have heard that it takes on average of 6hp to feel the difference in your seat. Anything less will only show up on times, but even then it could because you are driving differently each time so less than 6 may never be noticed.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:54 PM

Re: Re: How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

I was specific, I asked what I wanted to know and have gotten the answer. A Y-pipe is the only thing that NA mod that you will actually feel the gains from. I'm not trying to race or beat my friends, heck I'm not even looking to buy any of this stuff , just wanted to know what mods can be felt.

Originally posted by dlicari

You will also notice an increase with a five speed conversion, supercharger and turbo.

You wil not notice a difference with a muffler, straight pipe, indiglow gauges or stickers.

Do some searching as this has been posted countless times, I think someone even created a sticky with the HP gains from specific mods?

d
Old 06-09-2003, 12:55 PM
CaLSoNiC

Re: Re: How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

Originally posted by dlicari

d
Lies, those stickers add 10FWHP a piece!

Old 06-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Bmr4life

d
Old 06-09-2003, 02:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: How much HP is needed to actually feel a difference?

Spend a little more and go ahead and add a Pop intake or CAI at the same time. Thats your best combo first.

There are some real cheap places to get these:

try www.procarparts.com if you are on a budget

http://www.procarparts.com/store/dis...POAL-XXXX-CISX