4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

interior/muffler headaches

Old 09-14-2000, 02:24 PM

I own a 97 max se (rosewood). bought it as a thief recover dirt cheap. I have two questions to any max- veterans on line. How the hell do you take out the climate control vent on the passenger side next to the glove box. Mine is broken and have a replacement. but the vent screws in from the back and connects to the air ducts. Do you have to take of the whole dash cover for to screw for a vent.I tryed taking down the glove box but i can't reach the screws.
I also changed the stock muffler for a after market Naxis straight through muffler. It looked and sounded sweet but felt as if it lost low end torque. I then swoped it back to stock and got my power back. Is the cause of the loss because the car need a two barrel (chamber) muffler which uses back pressure or am a
Christian drug addict that's lossing his sanity.
Help! Maxi-milliyon (God Bless)
Old 09-14-2000, 02:37 PM

theres a couple a guys around me named teek and vee that only do nissan theft recoverys and they have to fix and replace the usual airbags,windows,outside mirrors,wheels,radio and a busted sterring wheel. but for your problem you need a couple hours of work. you have to take almost the whole side off to replace the little vent. with your exhaust buy one made for the max. the one you put on could have been made for a little civic.
Old 09-14-2000, 02:37 PM
Che

the vent should just pop out

get a screwdriver and cover tip with a towel and just pry the vent out, not the whole vent, just the part with louvers....it is held in with clips. also, losing low end when changing exhaust or intake is common...you lose low end but gain top end.
Old 09-14-2000, 03:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

For the muffler, that's what a free flow
will do...compromise the low end. I once
had a GReddy and the first thing I'd noticed
was the lost of low end. But the high end
gain was noticable. Since I do most city
driving here, I need the low end. With
most exhaust, there will always be a trade
off whether low end and/or noise. You
can either go with ypipe and stick with
stock muffler or just get a variable muffler
off of a 2000 Maxima like me.
Old 09-14-2000, 08:43 PM
kest

Originally posted by maxi-milliyon
I own a 97 max se (rosewood). bought it as a thief recover dirt cheap. I have two questions to any max- veterans on line. How the hell do you take out the climate control vent on the passenger side next to the glove box. Mine is broken and have a replacement. but the vent screws in from the back and connects to the air ducts. Do you have to take of the whole dash cover for to screw for a vent.I tryed taking down the glove box but i can't reach the screws.
I also changed the stock muffler for a after market Naxis straight through muffler. It looked and sounded sweet but felt as if it lost low end torque. I then swoped it back to stock and got my power back. Is the cause of the loss because the car need a two barrel (chamber) muffler which uses back pressure or am a
Christian drug addict that's lossing his sanity.
Help! Maxi-milliyon (God Bless)
Hey bro,

I scanned a picture of the dash assembley from my hanes manual. the link is http://www.geocities.com/kest08/dash.html
hope this helps.

Old 09-14-2000, 08:49 PM

2000 max muffler...

Originally posted by Albert
For the muffler, that's what a free flow
will do...compromise the low end. I once
had a GReddy and the first thing I'd noticed
was the lost of low end. But the high end
gain was noticable. Since I do most city
driving here, I need the low end. With
most exhaust, there will always be a trade
off whether low end and/or noise. You
can either go with ypipe and stick with
stock muffler or just get a variable muffler
off of a 2000 Maxima like me.
On a 98 Maxima,is it a bolt on or you have to bring it to a muffler shop to have it installed.
Old 09-15-2000, 01:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Exhaust headaches

The stright-thru type mufflers tend to be very boomy in acoustics at low RPM... The turbulence caused by the resonance effects (sound pressure waves bouncing back and forth in the muffler and constructively adding to one-another) might upset the exhaust flow and therefore torque.

I noticed a similar effect on my car...