4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley HP Gain ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 12:02 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley HP Gain ?

Hey, im getting an Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley for my 97 5 speed Maxima SE. And had a question for those "WHO KNOW" or those who have this modification and " WHO ALSO KNOW".

1. How many HP gain can I expect ?
2. Can you feel or did you feel it after install ?
3. How long is the install and what can I expect to pay ?

Note: (I have a manual transmisson)

After this, im going for the flywheel.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:13 PM

I have an auto with the RVM pulley, but:

1) It was dyno'd at 6hp peak gain at wheels by DaThrillr
2) Felt slightly quicker off the line and low end, nothing drastic
3) Expect to pay $80-$120 for install and belts. I did it myself in about 2 hours, make sure you have air tools.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Re: Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley HP Gain ?

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
Hey, im getting an Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley for my 97 5 speed Maxima SE. And had a question for those "WHO KNOW" or those who have this modification and " WHO ALSO KNOW".

1. How many HP gain can I expect ?
2. Can you feel or did you feel it after install ?
3. How long is the install and what can I expect to pay ?

Note: (I have a manual transmisson)

After this, im going for the flywheel.
I ordered Mine from Stillen Site. I Will Have Them by Monday and I will Drop them in On tuesday Hopefully. I would say Don't Expect to Feel much of gain. I would say this mod will help the fuel milage and Horsepower when you put on your AC. And your altenator will become Stronger to Charge your battery. That is the only reason I am getting this mod.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:58 PM

Quick question. What is the point of having them colored? The pulley isn't visible is it? If so where exactly is it located?
Old 06-13-2003, 12:59 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the UDP does just the opposite when it comes to the alternator and running the AC or a sound system. The pulley and belt are smaller in diameter and length, respectively, meaning if the engine is turning at 1500rpm, the belt is moving slower with the UDP than with the stock pulley.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by araffio
I have an auto with the RVM pulley, but:

1) It was dyno'd at 6hp peak gain at wheels by DaThrillr
2) Felt slightly quicker off the line and low end, nothing drastic
3) Expect to pay $80-$120 for install and belts. I did it myself in about 2 hours, make sure you have air tools.

May be you should sell your wheels to me, and get some chrome wheels to match your engine. I would look forward buying them off you. You should diffinitly go chrome with the wheels. it would match perfectly.

Pm Me if you want to sell them.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by Indecisive311
Quick question. What is the point of having them colored? The pulley isn't visible is it? If so where exactly is it located?
I don't know I guess that's for the show. or something. It depense on the person who gets them. I Got mine Silver.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:06 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the UDP does just the opposite when it comes to the alternator and running the AC or a sound system. The pulley and belt are smaller in diameter and length, respectively, meaning if the engine is turning at 1500rpm, the belt is moving slower with the UDP than with the stock pulley.
http://www.rvmracing.com/product.asp?0=204&1=222&3=381

You could be 100% right. I could be wrong.. But I am hoping the UDP pulley I ordered, I could Use the OEM belts on it. Look at the above link RVM has a different Pulley from the one you got. Ant told me that he had to use different belt. On this link the one they have they saying you could use the OEM belts. So who knows I could be wrong. But I always thought when the pulley lighter it will make the alternator work better, and AC. well I guess i have to see on Tuesday.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:31 PM

If the pulley is lighter and not smaller, than you can use the OEM belts. Me and Ant needed different belts because we got an underdrive pulley, which means it's smaller as well as lighter. The OEM belts are too long to use with a UDP.

My rims are not for sale and won't be anytime in the near future. Chrome on the exterior of a car is nasty!!!

Chrome on the interior and engine bay is
Old 06-13-2003, 01:39 PM

If the pulley is lighter and not smaller, than you can use the OEM belts. Me and Ant needed different belts because we got an underdrive pulley, which means it's smaller as well as lighter. The OEM belts are too long to use with a UDP.

My rims are not for sale and won't be anytime in the near future. Chrome on the exterior of a car is nasty!!!

Chrome on the interior and engine bay is

Well its all good I understand Chrome outside of the car is nasty. but anyhow nice rims... And show some pictures as soon as your engine bay is done.

as far as saying Underdive pulley this is the stuff i got, and i think you are right about that. http://www.stillen.com/sportscars_de...id=3343&page=1
Oh well I'll see what happens on friday. if I don't like it I would take it out.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:58 PM

If that's the pulley you bought, then it's an underdrive pulley and you'll need smaller belts.
They are explaining here-

"Underdriving is not pushed for two main reasons. The main reason is to keep charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving.

- that by making the pulley too small it is no longer beneficial. You won't have any problems with the underdrive pulley, install it and enjoy it for the small amount of power it provides.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:08 PM

If that's the pulley you bought, then it's an underdrive pulley and you'll need smaller belts.
They are explaining here-

"Underdriving is not pushed for two main reasons. The main reason is to keep charging systems, air conditioning, power steering, and water pumps moving fast enough for every day driving. Second, not much horsepower is gained from extreme underdriving.

- that by making the pulley too small it is no longer beneficial. You won't have any problems with the underdrive pulley, install it and enjoy it for the small amount of power it provides.

You have this on your car and you are happy with it? you don't see any problem with over heating or other stuff? i know you saying its good but can you tell me if everthing runs the same way as the Oem Pulley? thanks.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:17 PM
Old Maxima Legend

Anyone else with the Underdrive pulley that can share gains, and experiences after the install ? Im planning on going with the Unorthodox racing Underdrive pulley.

1. HP GAIN ?
2. Did you feel a difference ?
3. Do you recommend ?

Im guessing when your going my route you notice it difference in the drivers seat after a few mods that increase horsepower. Example I have the underdrive pulley ordered and my next mod is a flywheel.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by Ceasars Chariot
Anyone else with the Underdrive pulley that can share gains, and experiences after the install ? Im planning on going with the Unorthodox racing Underdrive pulley.

1. HP GAIN ?
2. Did you feel a difference ?
3. Do you recommend ?

Im guessing when your going my route you notice it difference in the drivers seat after a few mods that increase horsepower. Example I have the underdrive pulley ordered and my next mod is a flywheel.
I think Tony Mentioned On dayno Test he got extera 6 Horsepower, The Unorthodox Pulley is a little bit lighter then the RVM. So it sould be around the same or little more Horse Power.
Old 06-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by CystumMax
You could be 100% right. I could be wrong.. But I am hoping the UDP pulley I ordered, I could Use the OEM belts on it. Look at the above link RVM has a different Pulley from the one you got. Ant told me that he had to use different belt. On this link the one they have they saying you could use the OEM belts. So who knows I could be wrong. But I always thought when the pulley lighter it will make the alternator work better, and AC. well I guess i have to see on Tuesday.
The point of the 'underdrive' pulley is to 'underdrive' the accessories, thus giving you more power. Therefore, the AC, PS and alternator will suffer a bit. It's nothing to worry about unless you have a powerful sound system in your car. I did in my old car, and the alternator went in a matter of time, and the headlights dimmed... I didn't have a cap, which is another reason.

As for size, the underdrive pulley is lighter as well as smaller in diameter, which logically would mean that the belts would have to be shorter.