4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Black interior plastic that seems to sweat grease....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 05:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Black interior plastic that seems to sweat grease....

Ok, so now that it's warm out I'm having issues with my interior plastic. After the car sits for a couple hours in the sun, my door panels and dash get a greasy coating on them. Seems to come out of no where. I've cleaned the interior top to bottom 2-3 times and it keeps on coming back (I use Fantastik or 409) no matter what...even the push buttons on the heater controls sweat. When I got the car, it was covered in the dealer spray-shine crud though I thought I had scrubbed everything off thru my cleanings. Anyone else have this a find a cure?
Old 06-16-2003, 06:18 PM

I am having the exact same problem and I also cannot figure out what is causing it. I hope somebody has
Old 06-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Banned

SHIAT!!!! that caused my 200$ dash kit to peal the hell off!!!! omg it made me so made i had to throw it away... what causes that its soooooooooooooo HHHHRRRRRRRGGGGG
Old 06-16-2003, 09:28 PM
Boosted Panda

Im curious, In the past...did you ever use a geasy cleaner/protectent like armor all or sun of a gun? Maybe over time it just soaked in. Also, when you clean your interior do you use a degreaser or alcohol?(especialy before the dash kit) I've ahd a dash kit for over a year and have never had a problem with it coming off. I Cleaned it real thourogh with alcohol before the install.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by FLAVOR247
Im curious, In the past...did you ever use a geasy cleaner/protectent like armor all or sun of a gun? Maybe over time it just soaked in. Also, when you clean your interior do you use a degreaser or alcohol?(especialy before the dash kit) I've ahd a dash kit for over a year and have never had a problem with it coming off. I Cleaned it real thourogh with alcohol before the install.
Me personally I've tried denatured alcohol also on top of the other stuff...stays deglossed until it sits in the sun. I've only had the car about 7-8 months so it's cleaning history is unknown but that might be a possibility. Perhaps I'll try and regular cleaning schedule and see if it leaches out over time.
Old 06-17-2003, 07:20 AM
I aim to misbehave.

Oh my God... I have been meaning to post about this for like 3 years. It's so weird. Every once in a while I get into the car and the A/C buttons are sweating! I am a man of science and I have no freakin clue what's going on. It happened in my 95 GXE and now my 99SE. Really weird. It doesn't really bother me since it's usually only on 1 or 2 of the buttons, but I'm so curious about what causes this!! :shrug:
Old 06-17-2003, 09:11 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

my car is black/black and here in cali it gets pretty hot... but no greasy sweating. Do this...

grab yourself some microfiber towels, make them damp w/ water, and clean your dash w/ it. I'm sure there's some excess residue from sort of previous dash cleaner that's been embedded into the vinyl which is now oozing out or something haha
Old 06-17-2003, 09:41 AM

I suspect that some dash treatment might have been applied to 'gloss' the interior, and you're paying for it now.

My friend's 96 does exactly that ... black interior. The dealer sprayed some stuff that glossed the interior, leaving a greasy oil-like feel to the interior. Still there after a year and numerous cleanings. He likes it, so good for him but I hate it!

Try what nadir said, get microfiber towels and towel away at a small spot. With patience and some degreaser (simple green, goo gone, etc), you can test an inconspicuous spot to see if it will help. Don't forget to check for color fastness, don't want you to ruin your interior.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Man! First thought that crossed my mind when I read the title was the X-File character Krychek and the black ooze floating around his eyeballs!
Old 06-17-2003, 10:57 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by BlackCat
Man! First thought that crossed my mind when I read the title was the X-File character Krychek and the black ooze floating around his eyeballs!
so you're an x-file freak too huh?

pocketrocket, i don't know if he should be using any other solvent to clean that up... stick w/ water.
Old 06-17-2003, 11:23 AM
RIP '98 Maxima SE

Originally posted by nadir_s

so you're an x-file freak too huh?

pocketrocket, i don't know if he should be using any other solvent to clean that up... stick w/ water.

X-Files used to be filmed here until they decided to move to L.A. and after that the series went downhill.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:03 PM

They had to got to LA to get more freaks for the show.
Old 06-18-2003, 06:13 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I was reading this and thinking what kind of ghetto *** cleaner must have been used on your dashes in the past...but then I realized that mine actually does this sometimes too! The AC button especially. Mine doesn't do it bad at all but now that you mention it it does get a little greasy sometimes when it's hot. Very odd.

I use 303 on my interior and ahve for years now. In the past I might have used Armor All a couple times, and a detail spray once...but not for at least 2 or 3 years now since I discovered 303. I can't imagine what causes this unless it's just a defect in the pastic itself.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:50 AM
Banned

which it most likely is, i doubt nissan said hey lets make a new formula for plastic so it sweats and gets all greasy like fat basterd eating KFC...
Old 06-18-2003, 08:33 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally posted by brizsblackmax
like fat basterd eating KFC...
Old 06-18-2003, 08:51 AM

see the thing is, once you use armorall EVEN ONCE! you will have this problem for a while.... I first armoralled my dash like 3years ago and since then just wipe it down only and i still get that "sweaty stuff" coming up outta the dash buttons and panels

Ant
Old 06-18-2003, 08:28 PM

Re: Black interior plastic that seems to sweat grease....

I used to work for a dealership as a 'lot kid'... washing cars, doing detailing, etc. I had to deal with the shiny plastic crap all the time. The prep manager called it 'vinyl sweat' and attributed it to certain plastics giving off an ooze when they got hot. Some manufacturers typically had worse vinyl sweat than others, and I distinctly remember Nissan's ALWAYS having sticky, shiny plastic. There was no cure, just repeated cleaning with a good non-silicone protectant.

Another crap side-effect was the baby-oil like residue that sometimes magically appeared on the inside of car windows. Again, this was due to the interior plastic 'sweating' out some ooze and it sticking to the windows. The only solid way to clean them was to liberally apply a glass cleaner, scrub them with 000 steel wool and then wipe them down with a lint-free cloth.

Good luck,
TOM
Old 06-19-2003, 03:12 AM

Could be the plasticizers evaporating from the material. Vinyl does this and creates that "film" on the inside of windshields (ever notice the haze on your windshield is worse after you've cleaned your interior?). As for the plastic trim, they could be doing it, too. The addition of oily protectants could be making it worse. For my black trim, I keep a dry microfiber cloth in the glove box and wipe it down frequently to get rid of dust. It also keeps the plastic dry so I don't have the oily problem (microfiber cloths have a remarkable ability to "suck" up anything on the surface). The only product I use on the plastic is Mothers Back to Black occassionally. And make sure to buff that off very good.

Dave
Old 06-19-2003, 07:52 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

One thing...

I think using non-silicone cleaners is probably still a good idea. 303 is excellent and doesn't make it too glossy or leave a greasy look on the smooth black plastic. The thing is that even with all this grease sweating out, your dash still might get cracked and dry in the long term. Actually, I wonder if the reason that I have had so few problems with this compared to others is that I religiously clean my car with 303...maybe it's just keeping the **** from building up, maybe it's the UV protection it provides... ?