4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5 speed swap questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 05:06 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

5 speed swap questions

These are the parts that i've got so far; the asteriks means I have them

5spd tranny ***********

Both Manual drive shafts - I only got the passenger one, I read here that we don't need the drivers side one... is that true?

1 clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)******

2 shifting rods (support rod + control rod) (acquire used w/ all the hardware)*******

Return spring (connect to the 2 shifting rods (Buy this new, the stiffer the tighter your shifter feels)********

1 5spd starter - I hear that the auto one works just fine?..

1 shifter (Acquire used to get nuts and bolts (buy with the shifter rods)***************

1 shifter console piece (interior)**********the auto console piece works fine?..

1 shift consul bracket (Replaces your auto one) (interior) (dealer name plate bolt and transaxle hole cover)*************

1 brake pedal ***************

1 clutch pedal***********

1 master cylinder ************

Hydraulic lines for clutch*********

1 slave cylinder for clutch**********

1 extra set of tranny harnesses (might come w/ 5spd tranny) - What does this look like, the junkyard thought I was crazy....? I know there's the speedo sensor... but besides that i'm lost.

1 18ga wire and wiretaps******

Assorted cotter pin set.*********

1 Manual Fly wheel*******

1 Manual motor mount **********

Tranny Fluid (GL-4 or redline is preferable)*********

Locking pin and clip for the clutch pedal to the master cylinder (you could bend a nail but I would go to the dealer and pay $4)*******

Anyone know the sizes off hand on these bolts?

2 nuts that fit the threads on the clutch pedal.
1 bolt that bolts in the top of the clutch pedal (the dealer can find it's size for you)
1 bolt that connects the control rod to the tranny (the dealer can find it's size for you)

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:39 PM
Maximaniac

I don't know the sizes of the bolts but you're right about your auto starter it doesn't need to be changed.
Old 06-18-2003, 05:43 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

Civic Si badging? You serious?
Old 06-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Ramius83

The tranny harness is for the park/neutral position switch. It will usually come with the tranny if you buy it from a junkyard. It is a harness that comes out of the bottom driver's side and extends up to the top of the tranny and has a connector on it. And, you are right, there is also a vehicle speed sensor on the top of the tranny that does NOT have a harness.

The nuts for the clutch pedal are regular metric sized nuts. Just take the whole clutch assembly into Lowes or Home Depot and match the nuts/bolts up.

The bolt that connects the tranny to the rod should come with the rods if you specifically got them from a junkyard. If it didn't, then you can do one of two things. You can either order that bolt from Nissan or go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a bolt that is exactly the size of those holes and that is threaded. Get a longer bolt than what is needed. Now, put the new bolt in the rod and cut it 1/2" longer than the rod connector itself. Then, just get a nut for it and you are set.

I don't know what bolt that is referring to when it says "the bolt that connects to the top of the clutch pedal"......It has been too long since I have done my conversion lol....

Old 06-18-2003, 06:22 PM

you need the DRIVERS side manual shaft
the starter is the same
Old 06-18-2003, 06:43 PM

ok, so everything's checked out except the axle....

Nismo, you sure on that?.... so I don't need the passenger, only the drivers? or both? Now I've heard 3 different answers on the org...hehe
Old 06-18-2003, 07:04 PM

Drivers side only. you can talk to iansw also since he did his and also im in the process of doign my conversion soon. btw to back up my answer, I went to the dealer and pulled up the part#s and the PASSANGER side is the same part# but the DRIVERs had different #s for auto/5sp.
Old 06-18-2003, 07:24 PM

right...... you're telling me to change the drivers side.... but if it's the same number for the drivers side, but different for the passenger... then obviously u change the passenger... you sure u worded that right?

I may just stop by courtesy tomorrow and find out if no one's sure..
Old 06-18-2003, 07:53 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

The drivers side axle must be changed, I just did the conversion on Iansw's car a month ago. I'm 100% positive. You probably won't need the extra tranny harness, it should come on the tranny. For the nuts you need, just go down to a hardware store with the parts and try ones till you find some that fit, they will probably be fine thread, not coarse, and metric, or you could go down to a dealership and have them look up the correct ones and order them. Good luck.
Old 06-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by seximagtr
right...... you're telling me to change the drivers side.... but if it's the same number for the drivers side, but different for the passenger... then obviously u change the passenger... you sure u worded that right?

I may just stop by courtesy tomorrow and find out if no one's sure..
Lol...its been a long day. anyways sorry for my mistake. Drivers side is different so you change it. Passanger side is the same for auto/manual. Ill edit the post above
Old 06-18-2003, 11:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I got all my odd and end bolts through nissan.
Old 06-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yep - Driver's side.

I know especially because the person who I bought the conversion parts from didn't send a Driver's Side and I was REALLY ticked off.

If you are not ABS, you can use ABS or non ABS. My car is Non-ABS, but the only one I could find local that was a decent price was ABS....it didn't matter - still works.

If you ARE ABS, then you have to get an ABS one.

This is alot of work, but well worth it...I've got my shifts down now so that coming out of 2nd into 3rd I'm still at 4k, and still boosting happily.

(You didn't do it all, Matt, come on...I helped a little! ) <j/k>

By the way, you going to be around at Ft. lewis this weekend? Shoot me an E-Mail.

IanS
Old 06-19-2003, 05:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would get those bolts from the nissan dealer. If i remember correctly the nuts for the clutch pedal are 14mm. The bolt for the control rod is about three inches long and is 12mm.