4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Motivational with KYB-AGX/H&R's; a must ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:15 PM

Motivational with KYB-AGX/H&R's; a must ?

I keep seeing different experiences reported mounting KYB AGX's with H&R's, where some say the combination worked out great and others say the ride is too harsh (even with the softest setting). So, if it's somewhere in between, suggesting that one or two minor adjustments will minimize the harshness, I've heard that Motivational rear shock mounts will increase the rear travel a little. Will that really make much of a difference? Is it worth $125 extra?

Thanks for any advice,
~Gary
Old 06-20-2003, 05:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ben will say the motivational mounts aren't worth the price(he made his own) but they do give you an inch or so of needed travel when you make the drop.
Old 06-20-2003, 05:49 PM

instead of spending the money on the mounts, you might be better off getting tokico illuminas instead of the AGXs. They should offer a softer ride than the AGXs
Old 06-20-2003, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IMHO, instead of mounts, youre better off getting the spring wrap. i have the kyb agx's with maxspeed springs and i hear the springs creeking every so often. I waited for the motivational mounts and just decided to go ahead without it after two months.
Old 06-20-2003, 07:30 PM

Re: Motivational with KYB-AGX/H&R's; a must ?

Originally posted by Gary95
I keep seeing different experiences reported mounting KYB AGX's with H&R's, where some say the combination worked out great and others say the ride is too harsh (even with the softest setting). So, if it's somewhere in between, suggesting that one or two minor adjustments will minimize the harshness, I've heard that Motivational rear shock mounts will increase the rear travel a little. Will that really make much of a difference? Is it worth $125 extra?

Thanks for any advice,
~Gary
No its not. I have KYB/AGX with H&R's and it rides great but i did get the KYB dust boots for 1/2" of travel in the front and back. Cattman.com $50 bucks do it.
Old 06-20-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by ch13f
instead of spending the money on the mounts, you might be better off getting tokico illuminas instead of the AGXs. They should offer a softer ride than the AGXs

If you've got a soft rear end and don't want a harsh ride, ditch the AGX.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:21 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

How do Illuminas offer more suspension travel than Motivational mounts?

Old 06-20-2003, 10:13 PM

The ride with H&R's and AGX's is a bit harsh and on the lowest setting, IT's just terrible, the car just bounces. on every bump.

but on 2 in front the ride feels nice and on 3 is great for racing around the streets, i actully think 4 is the best because the spring is progressive so keeping it on the stiffest setting feels best to me.

I ride on 4 front city and maxima meets, lol and on highways 3 and on long drives 2.
Rear is always on 7.
I love the ride, it's the best to me.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg

How do Illuminas offer more suspension travel than Motivational mounts?

I said that they were less harsh... nothing about travel. It seems that he is worried primarily about a harsh ride, IME ride quality is felt from the front struts more than the rear anyways, so while rear mounts will probably offer enhanced handling, a softer strut will be more much more noticeable for curing a rough ride.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:03 AM

I have H&R/AGX's and I think it is a little too harsh. I'm going to get Tokico Blues up front soon and buy the KYB dust boot/bump covers for the extra 1/2 inch. I've heard this combo is great with the AGX's still in the back. My front is way to harsh on any setting now and I should have gotten the bump stops when I did it the first time.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:10 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Re: Motivational with KYB-AGX/H&R's; a must ?

Tokico's ride much better then KYB. Blues are soft and I don't recommend using the Blues in the rear, there very soft and don't do well with sport springs. The fronts work excellent with H&R springs. Llluminas can be adjusted firm, but sill ride better then KYB's.

KYB makes good struts and shocks, they work very well with the stock springs. But, once you couple them with sport springs, the ride seems to suffer.

Originally posted by ShastaMcNasty

No its not. I have KYB/AGX with H&R's and it rides great but i did get the KYB dust boots for 1/2" of travel in the front and back. Cattman.com $50 bucks do it.
Some like the firm ride, while others like the lowered look but want to maintain the smooth Maxima ride. Giving your suspension back it's travel makes a huge difference on how your car absorbes bumps. The KYB boots are cheaper then OEM, are shorter then OEM and may very well outlast them too. There a smart buy for a lowered car.

Originally posted by rbeyer
I have H&R/AGX's and I think it is a little too harsh. I'm going to get Tokico Blues up front soon and buy the KYB dust boot/bump covers for the extra 1/2 inch. I've heard this combo is great with the AGX's still in the back. My front is way to harsh on any setting now and I should have gotten the bump stops when I did it the first time.
Your gonna love the H&R/Tokico/AGX ride. It's almost smoother then stock on the highway, only with better handling and tracking.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:47 PM

Originally posted by deezo
Ben will say the motivational mounts aren't worth the price(he made his own) but they do give you an inch or so of needed travel when you make the drop.
I'm just wondering if that extra inch of travel softens the ride much. I'm certainly expecting the ride to firm up, but I just want to get as close to OEM when tuning down for normal driving. Don't have the know-how to make my own rear mounts, so I thought Motivationals might be worth going to. Anyway, I bought the KYB's and H&R's last fall--just waited for the warmer weather to come around before installing. I have the KYB dustboot/bumpstops (Cattman is up to $60 now), and at least it sounds like that was a step in the right direction. And I'm definitely going to have spring wraps (isolators) installed as well.

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
Old 06-21-2003, 07:56 PM

Man, i really don't know how you guys can complain with H&R springs with AGX's... I just installed AGX's and Sprints and the ride IMHO is not harsh at all? These springs also drop the car far more than H&R's, also i went from stock GXE (softer than SE) to this setup... Nothing but smiles, no KYB boots, no motivational mounts, but i did buy new isolation sleeves which i installed on the top of the coils and reused the old ones on the bottom of the coils and wrapped the other coils with some tubing... No sounds at all (yet)...

LEMAR