4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Got time to play with Illumina settings today

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got time to play with Illumina settings today

I am loving this ride more and more. I just dropped the ride down from 4/4 to 2/3...oh my..this thing rides like a dream. This is for anyone that wants a comfortable lower ride, this is your setup. I couldn't even feel all those lil road imperfections.
I wanted to feel the other extreme and jacked it up to 5/5, and the thing felt great...nice and tight. I never thought I would like a tight suspension, but it does feel good. It feels like a great sport suspension. With the Illuminas, I can manipulate the ride to what I feel like with an easy turn of a screwdriver. Ahh I love it
Old 06-28-2003, 12:09 PM

I made a quick lil graph in how I see how shocks compare to each other. As you can see, both are superior compared to OEM..but AGX has the ability to be stiffer, while the Illuminas have the ability to have more ride comfort.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your gonna make me dump the Blues faster then I was expecting.....
Old 06-28-2003, 02:47 PM

do you have to remove the shocks to adjust them, or can you just do it through the engine bay and trunk?
Old 06-28-2003, 02:49 PM

heheh, I am sure that the setting I have them on right now is coprible to the blues....my rears were pretty stiff, until I brought them down. It seemed like the rear was bouncing and crashing around...so I tuned em down, and ..what a difference. The fronts did dampen well up all the way too...but I'm not done playing yet...I am gonna see how it would ride tight up front and on 3 out of 5) on the back.
Old 06-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

As what other people Mentioned on this message board, AGX Struts are going to be same feeling when you set them to 3/6. It will take a month for it to settle right but when it does It is very Smooth.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question about that graph. You really think that AGXs out perform the illuminas. I have heard that the illuminas are more comfortable but i also heard the performance on them was the same or better then AGXs.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Question about that graph. You really think that AGXs out perform the illuminas. I have heard that the illuminas are more comfortable but i also heard the performance on them was the same or better then AGXs.

I don't Know where you saw that I wrote they will Out perform The Illuminas. All I was Saying, The AGX Struts are Smooth If you Adjust them right. I Am Happy with the Performance I am getting from them. I never Had Illuminas, So I can't say that AGX will Out Perform Illuminas. I only Could say that when I Get a set of Illuminas.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:30 PM

O i know you didnt say that but the graph that is higher up on the page shows the AGXs performing better and i wonder if that is what people have really noticed.
Old 06-28-2003, 04:49 PM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
O i know you didnt say that but the graph that is higher up on the page shows the AGXs performing better and i wonder if that is what people have really noticed.
Who knows I don't race my car or take turns at 100mph. But I really like the way my car looks now and handels better. And it is better the stock Struts.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:33 PM

As a person who's been on this forums for a long time, I'd like to throw out what I believe is "the best" and "the most comfortable" in terms of shocks. Also being that I run the most complete 4th gen aftermarket parts list (in my sig) and that I happen to focus on suspension I believe I'd have quite a bit of credibility... I would personally rank them like this.

Comfort
1. Illuminas
2. Koni
3. AGX

Handling
1. Koni
2. Illuminas
3. AGX

This comes from all the complaints all the praises I hear from all the forums. Especially in the autox/roadrace forums where Konis are praised and AGXs are generally knocked in terms of handling.

These also do not take into account bad shock adjustment by the user (generally picking settings that are too soft). That is the leading cause of bad handling and a harsh ride.
Old 06-28-2003, 05:42 PM

I wonder how those illuminas would feel if they're combined with GC.
I'm getting tired of AGX/GC setup. Someone ever tried illuminas/GC setup? how much are illuminas fronts?
Old 06-28-2003, 05:51 PM

Well i have konis in the back with GC and they work fine. Not sure what my plan of attack is for the front just yet but i do know that these GR2s have to go. I would go koni but dont want to bother with the custom fitment.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:01 PM

I found this on A ebay link. There is some Info about the AGX..

1. Velocity-sensitive valving
Multistage valve compression enables the shock to adjust to driving conditions automatically. Under gentle road conditions, the valving allows the shock to travel freely for maximum ride comfort. As conditions get rougher, the shock is compressed faster. The valving responds instantly, to make the shock response firmer, maintaining tire contact and vehicle control.
2. Sintered iron pistons and guide rods
Sintered metal provides far greater strength than traditional metals, extending shock life and durability.
3. Micro-smooth, hard-chromed piston rods
KYB has the smoothest hard-chromed rods in the business for extra-long life and reliability.
4. Seamless cylinders and eye rings
Most shock cylinders and eye rings are made from flat metal and welded at the seam. KYB cylinders and eye rings are extruded as seamless cylinders, eliminating weak points created by welded seams.
5.Multi-lip seals / self-sealing packing
KYB uses a triple-lip oil seal to keep the oil in and contaminants out.
6. Patented check valve
KYB uses a special check valve to minimize foaming caused by the mix of oil and gas inside the shock. This helps maintain reliable performance, even under tough conditions.
7. Fast on car adjustment
Convenient external dial or slot at top of rod (depending on model) allows for simple hand adjustment of the damping forces for strip, street, cruising, or high speed driving, eliminating the need to remove parts or lift the vehicle.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:35 AM

Bmr4life - yeah I can adjust via the trunk and under the hood.

I just cannot say how smooth these things are...the only reason I would say that the AGX's could out perfrom is because everyone says that they are so stiff etc.. I have ridden in a car with AGX's, and it was harsh. With suspension there are so many variables...one major one here being that I am riding on H&R's..the most "comfortable" spring out there. This is what I was aiming for...someone that was looking for more aggresive suspension feel would pair them with Progress, or B&G
Old 06-29-2003, 11:21 AM

What size tires/rims are you riding on with the illuminas man? Have you been able to get your ride comparable to stock with the illuminas and H&R's? I realize it will never be stock when riding with low profile tires but I really can't stand how harsh my ride is right now and I have to do omething about it immediately. I do not care about the performance side, I just want to stop hitting my head on the ceiling when I hit a small bump or indentation in the road.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:00 PM

I have 2002 16" rims with Dunlop Sport AS2's The ride is fantastic.
Old 06-29-2003, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by DR0832
What size tires/rims are you riding on with the illuminas man? Have you been able to get your ride comparable to stock with the illuminas and H&R's? I realize it will never be stock when riding with low profile tires but I really can't stand how harsh my ride is right now and I have to do omething about it immediately. I do not care about the performance side, I just want to stop hitting my head on the ceiling when I hit a small bump or indentation in the road.
In most cases Performance struts will not make your car smoother. Give it a week you get use to it. and don't make your settings on the struts to soft.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:24 PM

MaxWolf, are you one of the ones that had Tokicos up front and GR-2s in the rear coupled with H&Rs? This is the setup that I'm currently thinking of getting, and I'd like to know how it would compare to Illuminas, mainly as far as comfort.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:32 PM

I think that would give you a very nice ride...there are a few people on the org that are running that setup, and loving it
Old 06-29-2003, 05:40 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

H&R springs with Tokico Blues up front and AGX in the rear set low (1 or 2).

Very soft smooth almost luxury car like ride. I'm in 17" rims too.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:59 PM
Always sunny in philly

I recently put in Ground Controls w/Tokico Blues. It rides like total crap. I was going to go for the KYB adjustables or the Illuminas, but i heard GC coils will ONLY work with tokico blues on 4th gens? Please let me know..so i can chuck the setup out the window.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:21 AM

Originally posted by chillinmax
I recently put in Ground Controls w/Tokico Blues. It rides like total crap. I was going to go for the KYB adjustables or the Illuminas, but i heard GC coils will ONLY work with tokico blues on 4th gens? Please let me know..so i can chuck the setup out the window.
take off those blues asap before they got blown and wasting your money. I had been tired with agx/GC front setup but today I set it from 2/4 to 3/4 for the fronts and seems like it's getting better/smoother now.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:51 AM
Always sunny in philly

can i use illuminas w/GC? any other adjustments reccommended if i can use that setup?
Old 06-30-2003, 02:36 PM

If I were putting GC's on my car...first off I would know it is not going to be a comfortable ride. With that in mind, I would probably pair them up with AGX's. I have never riden on GC's, but have ridden on coilover suspensions, and there was absolutely no give to them at all. This in no way means I think any less of my illuminas...anyone that puts GC's on their car should not be in the "comfortable/sport" market.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Always sunny in philly

so you're saying that it wont really matter?