4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Car wont start--might be starter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 08:00 AM

Help! Car wont start--might be starter?

Hey guys,

I tried to start my car this weekend and it wasnt happening. I have power to my radio/AC/headlights etc but it wont turn over. Instead I can hear a click (what I believe to be the starter trying to engage) but then nothing. At first I thought it was the battery but I tried to jump it and got nothing. Do you guys think its the starter? IF so is that something I gotta buy new from nissan or are there easier(cheaper) ways of getting them?
THanks in advance
Old 06-30-2003, 08:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Help! Car wont start--might be starter?

Originally posted by JamesAvery
Hey guys,

I tried to start my car this weekend and it wasnt happening. I have power to my radio/AC/headlights etc but it wont turn over. Instead I can hear a click (what I believe to be the starter trying to engage) but then nothing. At first I thought it was the battery but I tried to jump it and got nothing. Do you guys think its the starter? IF so is that something I gotta buy new from nissan or are there easier(cheaper) ways of getting them?
THanks in advance
Those are symptoms of a starter problem. You could get on from Autozone or possibly PepBoys. I got mine from autozone last year and they have a lifetime warranty on it I believe.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:07 AM
Maxima95Tuner

Thats exactly what happened to me when my battery was dead. I still had power to all the electronics inside, but not enough to make it turn over. I would say to actually buy a new battery first, then decide whether or not it's the starter.

Old 06-30-2003, 10:02 AM

loose connections?

Originally posted by Maxima95Tuner
Thats exactly what happened to me when my battery was dead. I still had power to all the electronics inside, but not enough to make it turn over. I would say to actually buy a new battery first, then decide whether or not it's the starter.
First you will want to check and clean your battery terminals (even if they dont "look" that dirty). If this doesnt help you can try exchanging batteries from other car to see if its the battery. If none of this works, then take the starter out and get it tested.

If the starter is also good, get a repair manual with electrical schematics and check the voltages and ground for the inhibitor and ignition relays.

My max had intermittent starting problems for a year before I found that it was only a loose ground cable in the inhibitor relay.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:12 AM

I agree with the dude above about checking the battery terminals and trying another battery. However, what you described sounds exactly like what my car did when the starter bit the dust. You can go to Advance Auto Parts, Autozone, etc and they will test for free and then if it's bad, you can buy a new starter for around $120 + core. It's extremely easy to change (Takes about 15 minutes.) Anyway, good luck and let us know how it goes.

Ian B
Old 06-30-2003, 10:27 AM

relating to starter ..my car doesn't turn over sometimes..new plugs ngks..throttle body clean..just doesn't turn over..starter dead or do i need to take it out..clean solenoidson there..or what..because it gives healthy cranks just car not turning over..and when it tries the car first shakes a lot...could it be at all related to my evap codes.. 2 different systems... O_O..I'm just stumped if my next step is starter removal or what..