4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What to do with $3,600 from Hail Damage?..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2003, 12:38 PM

What to do with $3,600 from Hail Damage?..

We had a bad hail storm in KC the other week, and anyway my car got caught up in it. Its a 99 that i plan on keeping for a while. anyway the other day i brought it into the insurance place to get my claim adjusted and they wrote me a fat check for 3,600 dollars that i can use how ever i want. here is the big question. if you were me you get the hail fixed or keep the money for modes and other things. the worst of the hail is on the hood and roof of the car behind the sun roof. im thinking i might replace the hood since it looks the worst and leave the rest. you really dont notice it that much at all.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:20 PM

i would get an SC with that money.
Old 07-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Handsome

Re: What to do with $3,600 from Hail Damage?..

Originally posted by Dstyle
We had a bad hail storm in KC the other week, and anyway my car got caught up in it. Its a 99 that i plan on keeping for a while. anyway the other day i brought it into the insurance place to get my claim adjusted and they wrote me a fat check for 3,600 dollars that i can use how ever i want. here is the big question. if you were me you get the hail fixed or keep the money for modes and other things. the worst of the hail is on the hood and roof of the car behind the sun roof. im thinking i might replace the hood since it looks the worst and leave the rest. you really dont notice it that much at all.
Get some silly puddy and touch up paint to fill in the dents, save the rest for boost!!!

Or just rip a hood off a junker, paint it, then buy boost.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:00 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

you need more than $3,600 to prepare the car for boost i think.
Old 07-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Jedi Knight

get a CF hood, and fix your dents...better to have a nice looking car than a fast one that looks like ISH!
Old 07-05-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by nupe500
get a CF hood, and fix your dents...better to have a nice looking car than a fast one that looks like ISH!
Exactly. fix the car and what ever is left use that for mods.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:34 PM

If i got a carbon fiber hood could i get it painted to look like the rest of the car? I know that people think that carbon fiber hoods look cool, but id only get one because they are lighter.

Ps. im not interested in boosting. Im Finnishing up my custom exhaust project though, and i still owe $1,125 on the car so i think ill replace the hood, see what i can do for the dents on the roof and use the rest to pay it off and maybe a couple mods.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:12 PM

time to make friends with someone at a body shop and get a deal
Old 07-05-2003, 09:37 PM
† ErV †

fix it completely and properly because that 'minor' damage will bite you back down the road as the elements beat on it.

Old 07-05-2003, 10:04 PM
Jacked Up off MountainDew

get the carbon fiber hood!! i emailed custom maxima before and they said yes u can paint it the same color as rest of car, and u get to lose 30 pounds by doing so . go get a hook up with somebody in an autoshop and just fix the roof. then buy a bunch of mods!!! whatever you dont have, and remember little custom jobs make big differences between maxes too!!! have fun
Old 07-05-2003, 10:29 PM

roof is hard to fix up - easiest way about it is by filling it in with bondo....i'd definitely fix up the body first before i consider modding
Old 07-05-2003, 10:54 PM
syc

i'll repair everything. just to look nice. maybe someday you wanna sell the car. And i'll go to the bodyshop to get a estimate in case $3600 is not enough (unless $3600 is the limit) OEM hood is stronger for accident (i heard). 30 lb do nothing much for speed considering you are not going to the extreme. a guy sit next to you is already 160 lb. many people buy CF hood just for the look. so paint the CF hood is defying the purpose if not going to the extreme. but that's just me, i'm old and i drive slow.
Old 07-05-2003, 11:29 PM

Jesus, see if you can get the dents pulled. Why you'd ever want to use Bondo for HAIL DAMAGE escapes me. I can't even understand why someone would reccomend that
Old 07-05-2003, 11:40 PM

Hail? I don't like hail very much.

That's cool that you got some money from the damage though. My cheap 3rd gen insurance was only for liability coverage.
Old 07-06-2003, 12:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOW !!!

what kind of nissan is that ?????
hurts me just to watch !!!!!

Nick
Old 07-06-2003, 12:44 AM

My mom's 02 Pathfinder SE
Old 07-07-2003, 05:52 PM

man, the hail that hit my car was golfball sized. that hail looks like baseball. i cant believe it broke glass

in my opinion the cf hood looks kind of tacky/rice. for a 30 pound weight reduction i dont think its worth getting one and getting it painted to avoid the black hood look that i dont want. so ill probably with a factory one. i havent takent it to a body shop yet. ill take it to couple to get the best deal on what i want done that way ill have some money left over for whatever.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:56 PM

oh yeah. my damage claim gives a lot of money to have just about the entire car re painted. i thought that this would be a good opportunity to change the color from beige to something better. i figured if 2/3 of it were getting re painted for the hail i might as well just change the whole cars color, but the claim adjuster told me that it would be too difficult and expensive to chainge the color because there are so many little bits of trim and pieces on the insides of doors etc. that it wouldnt be worth it. has anyone repainted thier car? is it not worth the hassle? how much more would it cost me if they were already going to repaint half of it? thanx
Old 07-07-2003, 07:50 PM
U wanna try me young boy?

To do a color change it real difficult - he's right - it's the things like door jambs tat will get you. They don't need to poaint the door jambs to respray the same color.

I did a colour change on my Bronco from blue to black and most of the hassle was in disassembly/masking door striker/weatherstrip etc and painting the little bits like door jambs, under the hood, sills/rockers tops of the fenders where the fireberglass roof sits etc. Once they were done I reassembled it and sprayed the exterior - took only 6 hours including flash time. If you are doing the same colour it doesn't matter if you have a 1mm liune of old paid under the weatherstripping around your window, but if your old paint is white and your new paint is black then it make a LOT of difference.

Also - if ou don't get the hail damage fixed and the car is wrecked then don't expect your own (or another) isnurance co to pay out full value of a good condition vehicle. In fact, expect them to say; "The value of the damage abck then was 3600 so we're taking 3600 off the value of the car today." Just an FYI if you decide not to fix. Maybe you can talk to a paintless dent guy or even try one of those glue-dent-puller things. If you get the vast majority out of the roof and replace the hood then you can get it fixed for less than 3600 and then go back to your insurance company and have them recertify the vehicle as 'repaired' so it's back to full value in case of future payout. You can just take pictures etc and submit them to your agent (or you agent may want to see the car and take his own pics) so you have it on file that the car WAS fixed. Then pocket the difference!

When I resotred the body of my bronce and got comprehensive coverage my agent sad the insurance company was wary about full coverage on an older vehicle, so he came around my house to see the vehicle, took some pics after the resto and certified the bodywork to be in "as-new" condition.