4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Vibration when at a stoplight

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 07:32 AM

Vibration when at a stoplight

Hey Guys,
This holiday weekend, maxeffect414 and myself did a little maintanence on my max as it is approaching 40k. We did a new fuel filter, pcv valve and also did the air bypass mod and also did a compression test. Kyle was awesome and really took the time to battle it out with my fuel filter! Great orger! Anyhow, by accident we left a piece from the compression kit in the block and by accident while putting the plug sqauashed the tip, messing up the gap, we got the part out that caused the problem, and regapped the one that was messed up by eye. After doing all this to the car, i notice that when I am a read light, with my foot on the brake I notice a tremble in my wheel, when I put it into nuetral, the wheel stops shaking- Its not a violent shake but it seems to be more than what i remember prior to the work we did on the car. Kyle said that it could be that the Computer is going nuts re-adjusting itself to the new fuel filter, PCV valve and air bypass mod, and that it is probably just that, and eventually will work itself out. It's kinda like the shake i have on my 02 4cyl accord, but my accord has been doing that since the day i took delivery and that s the nature of the beast. What do you guys think?
Old 07-07-2003, 07:37 AM
ivelweyz

adjust the idle screw, it helped me. Also wait a while for the car to adjust to the changes...

Old 07-07-2003, 07:55 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Air Bypass mod?

I'm gone one week and a new mod comes out
Old 07-07-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Air Bypass mod?

I'm gone one week and a new mod comes out
There is a little round cylinder on the bottom right of the block with a little hose that goes into it, disconnected it and capped it and capped the thingy that kinda looks similar to a fuel filter- it made the car MUCH more torquey, Maybe I am not saying the right name for the mod. But it made my car have a whole new personality off the line.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:43 AM
ivelweyz

How much was the pcv valve? What thing that looks like an fuel filter? or did you mean air filter? Anyway the pcv how much???

Old 07-07-2003, 01:45 PM

i dont remember- but I think it was around 7-8 bucks. Oh, I was told that this mod was for 99SE-L's only, so unless you have one, you dont have this piece.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:53 PM

I got the rough idle thing, too. The engine has to be warmed up all the way and driven for a couple minutes. Then, when I'm at a stop, it'll idle harshly. When I have my A/C on, the idle smoothes out. When I put it in neutral or park, the idle is also smooth. I think that if I turn up the idle by about 50 RPM everything will be gravy.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:10 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan

There is a little round cylinder on the bottom right of the block with a little hose that goes into it, disconnected it and capped it and capped the thingy that kinda looks similar to a fuel filter- it made the car MUCH more torquey, Maybe I am not saying the right name for the mod. But it made my car have a whole new personality off the line.

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
i dont remember- but I think it was around 7-8 bucks. Oh, I was told that this mod was for 99SE-L's only, so unless you have one, you dont have this piece.
So you by-passed the swish valve actuator and made them constantly open. That basically does nothing. The swish valves only operate when your car is warming up. Once it's up to operating temperature, those valves are open all the time.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:02 PM

Hi tom, so you obviously know what the cylinder is b/c you have a SE-L But I must respectfuly disagree with you. After Kyle did this little tweak, my car flew off the line, and this effect NEVER goes away, even normal operating temps. Maybe I am not describing the mod correctly. Ask maxeffect414, he can explain it better, all that i know is that I love the way the car moves. And NO, this is not placebo.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:12 PM

Originally posted by BatKeith
I got the rough idle thing, too. The engine has to be warmed up all the way and driven for a couple minutes. Then, when I'm at a stop, it'll idle harshly. When I have my A/C on, the idle smoothes out. When I put it in neutral or park, the idle is also smooth. I think that if I turn up the idle by about 50 RPM everything will be gravy.
i would also like to turn up my RPM 50 more.

how is this done?