4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Head Liner Glue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Head Liner Glue

Hey All,

Reading through the past threads, I am attempting to pull off the headliner in my car. The head liner fabric has come loose off the backing and now flaps when I have the windows rolled down.

Question is, what kind of glue or adhesive do I need to use to fasten the fabric to the backing?

Thanks
MaximaBiz
Old 07-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Permatex Heavy Duty Carpet & Headliner adhesive works well...orange can with a blue cap. I used that when I recovered the headliner on my '91 and it was still holding 2 years later when I sold the car. Probably find it at AutoZone or similar parts place. Just make sure you get an adhesive that specifies headliner use...if you don't, it could start sagging again in a matter of days.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks Delerium75,

Is it as easy as just spreading the glue on, setting the liner into it and letting it dry? Or are there any secret tips or tricks.

Thanks
Biz
Old 07-14-2003, 10:55 AM

Also you cn just use those tacs that are little circles and not even need to remove it.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by maximabiz
Thanks Delerium75,

Is it as easy as just spreading the glue on, setting the liner into it and letting it dry? Or are there any secret tips or tricks.

Thanks
Biz
It's a kind of contact cement...spray can. You'll want to make sure you headliner backer is smooth along with your headliner material. If it's not, any imperfection in the surface is going to show thru very obviously. If you have the headliner completely stripped, then you'll want to start 1/2 way (perpendicular to the long side might be easiest) and then work your way out to the ends. Working a section at a time, spray both the backer and the material, let set for a minute, then *very carefully* start laying the material down. If it has a foam back, don't press too hard or your fingermarks will be a permanent addition to your headliner. You only get one chance with this stuff. If the material has separated from the foam and you're looking to fix just a section, then your job will even trickier since you don't want to do anything that stretches the material otherwise you'll end up with bunched areas where the original glue ends and your work begins.