4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 03:11 PM

Why?

Why is it that no company has designed a lowering spring/shock combo that would allow to maintain the stock GLE ride, or improve upon it? I mean theres some cars out there that come stock with 18's, and ride unbelieveably smooth, so the excuse "you'll never get the same ride with 18's really is bull****." I mean I understand its expensive but theres gotta to be many many people out there who don't give a **** about how there cars handle, like myselfm, and just want it to ride nice once its lowered. Its rediculous that almost all after market combos of shocks are stiffer then stock and yield mainly harsh conditions.
Old 07-20-2003, 03:27 PM

The reason aftermarket springs are more stiff is because you would be bottoming out on every bump or dip in the road otherwise. There is only so much room for suspension travel. Next time try and title your post with a bit of information on what your question/comment is. "Why" doesn't really tell us much.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If your creative, you can get a ride just about as smooth as your stock GLE ride.

Check out my setup, you'd never know my car was lowered driving it down a good highway.

As ch13f said, lowering springs need to be agressive enough to stop the car from bottoming out on larder dips and bumps, so you will notice that your car may not absorbe larger road imperfections after it's lowered. But you can get that nice cushy ride on the highway on a lower setup. Check my home page.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:57 PM

Hmm.. I don't think the GXE and GLE have different suspensions, just trims. But the SE is stiffer than GXE/GLE.

And with adjustable struts, your ride can be even smoother, I'm told. There were some threads a few weeks ago about the new Tokico Illuminas that were bragging on how smooth the ride was. Maybe you should check those out.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

GXE's and GLE's have totally different comfort levels, and very different cornering abilities, I can say this since I have both in my driveway. My GXE is a much more comfortable ride it also sits higher then the GLE which cause the car to feel much worse on corners.