4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Legality and Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 12:00 AM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Legality and Emissions

Im trying my hardest to avoid too much of a repost here, so sorry if i screwed up! Im fighting california emissions, and I want to know what intakes and exhausts with be illegal and legal. Ive heard that some of the Y and B pipes are too non-restrictive, and when combined are illegal. I want more power, but am not ready to be screwed because my set up isnt legal. Any imput would be great, thanks everyone
Old 07-21-2003, 09:12 PM
SXN

Is ANY aftermarket Y pipe legal? all the ones i keep finding say for off road use only or that they are race only pipes... which means no way will it work for california. it seems like changing the y pipe is not an option, but i want big results. would changing the b pipe and muffler give me a noticalbe power increase? please help!
Old 07-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Banned

all y pipes are illegal as far as i know. however they only remove the pre-cats, after a good romp on the highway your real cat will be plenty hot to work..the pre-cats are for when its cold out and when the engine isn't warm...at least thats how i understand it. i doubt a shop would notice it...if it passes it passes no matter what it looks like...unless they know specifically about that which imo is highly unlikely...good luck i love mine.
Old 07-21-2003, 11:20 PM
SXN

as for cat backs, would the stillen b pipe and muffler combo (essentially a cat back) or the greddy give more performance? It seems like the stillen without the resonator would give more performance but be louder, anyone find it to be too loud? also i know the stillen muffler is essentially straight through being even louder, i want a peformance sound and loud isnt a problem but there is such a thing as too loud.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:36 AM
Sleeps with his maxima!

sorry but catbacks dont really do anything preformace wise (unless you have boost of some sort), so basically you would be getting a b-pipe and muffler for the sound. And from what I heard the stillen one is loud not too mention overpriced. I would recomend a budget y-pipe, and either greddy/obx catback.

...by the way funny sig too, lol
Old 07-22-2003, 03:47 AM
Ludicrous Speed

buy all your mods... keep them locked safely... smog check your car, and then install and enjoy your mods for the next 2 years. Odds are that around that time you'll part out your car or get rid of intake stuff to lay in the S/C or Turbo or No2 hand-me-down from another member going for a different set-up. That seems to be the way of life around here.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by sanjosemaxima
sorry but catbacks dont really do anything preformace wise (unless you have boost of some sort), so basically you would be getting a b-pipe and muffler for the sound.
There are now numbers and dyno graphs to confirm that a b-pipe does yield gains. Look at motorvate's b-pipe dyno results
Old 07-22-2003, 08:44 PM
SXN

Originally posted by sanjosemaxima
sorry but catbacks dont really do anything preformace wise (unless you have boost of some sort), so basically you would be getting a b-pipe and muffler for the sound. And from what I heard the stillen one is loud not too mention overpriced. I would recomend a budget y-pipe, and either greddy/obx catback.

...by the way funny sig too, lol
Ok so the stillen IS too loud? (it has no resonator and the muffler is apparently straight through, so i was guessing it would be to loud) SO then how loud about is the greddy? I found a good cheap price for that, and it has a resonator and such, looks like a good deal... stillen is too loud, is greddy loud enough? Too many ricers have a buzzy or annoying exhaust, whats the greddy like? Yea thanks, the sig is amazing i know and thanks for all the help and suggestions, im ordering parts soon so i need to make up my mind http://store.yahoo.com/southwestauto...ismaxcarf.html like my brake lights? lol
Old 07-22-2003, 09:41 PM

One of my friends on this forum is getting the Greddy exhaust for his 95 maxima ( Bomt697 )and he said that it is loud but not annoying loud. YOu would have to ask him to be sure, but the funny part is that hes getting the exhaust from another org member.

I love this cycle.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:56 PM
SXN

I posted then my net crapped out, hope i dont double post anyway, your friends description sounds what im looking for, but could you point him in the direction of this forum? Whats his definition of loud? Also, whats he running? With a Y pipe and stuff it would obviously be louder, something I dont/will not have. The CA emissions are annoying and i dont want an illegal setup, and yes i know i could get away with it if i wanted. anyway, send him on over
Old 07-22-2003, 10:11 PM

What is loud to you?

Ofcourse aftermarket parts like CAI/Exhaust/Y pipe etc will make the car have a more throaty sound.

For example I saw a 4th gen maxima with a stillen muffler for sale and when the car was just idling it sounded like a regular maxima. But once the guy rev'ed then you could notice a more deep sound, nothing bad under my opinion. Ofcourse your opinion on sound could be different.
Old 07-22-2003, 10:50 PM
SXN

My good friend owns a 65 mustang, with straight through flowmasters... i would consider that loud, but bearable. I personally want something that has a performance sound, but not something you will get sick of. In generally more tolerant of car noise than other people, but its going to be a daily driver, commute car, etc, so within the realm of sanity. I dont want something that is buzzy or drones. What would be louder, the whole greddy cat back, or the straight through stillen muffler?
Old 07-23-2003, 06:42 AM

I dont think stillen and greddy comes near the noise level of a straight through flowmaster exhaust for a 65 mustang ( which I think has a 5.0L engine )

If it would be me, I would go with stillen because it is much cheaper then greddy and I seen it first hand. To me the sound level was just right.

But I think a whole catback system from Greddy would give you slightly better performance then just a stillen muffler.
Old 07-23-2003, 09:17 PM
SXN

For starters, its the original 283 block so, not 5 liters (my friends cobra has a 454 though ) Yes the stillen muffler by itself would be cheaper, but as loud? I want something that has rumble at low speeds and when u step on it, comes alive. Does the greddy B pipe with new resonator make much of a difference? because both mufflers say they're straight through, also is there any big difference in the SP and SP2 besides the 2 has a polished resonator as well as the muffler (the SP doesnt, some people said theirs had a little rust on it, my shop offers both for the same price so, i'll just get the SP2 if its not a big deal) I like cat backs because they're legal and such, but is the greddy loud enough? ive heard the FULL stillen cat back, but not just the muffler... grrr