4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

whats needed for 12.5" vr-4 brake up grade ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003 | 02:24 PM

whats needed for 12.5" vr-4 brake up grade ??

Hey guys what do i need to perform a 12.5" vr-4 rotor upgrade? is the a32 300z caliper mandatory or optional ?? and what are the options we have with the rear brakes besides $$ stillen or willwood stoptech .etc.. any mixing off j30..or..Q45..or perhaps the m30 ??? theirs got to be a nissan with upgraded rear brakes that cam fit the 4 gen maxima ??... Thanks much
Old 07-24-2003 | 03:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

get the 3z or 3zTT brakes.. u will need at least 17 inch rims.
Old 07-24-2003 | 06:34 PM
SLOW

Re: whats needed for 12.5" vr-4 brake up grade ??

Originally posted by broncomax-95
Hey guys what do i need to perform a 12.5" vr-4 rotor upgrade? is the a32 300z caliper mandatory or optional ?? and what are the options we have with the rear brakes besides $$ stillen or willwood stoptech .etc.. any mixing off j30..or..Q45..or perhaps the m30 ??? theirs got to be a nissan with upgraded rear brakes that cam fit the 4 gen maxima ??... Thanks much
Get Mustang Cobra rotors... 13.0" rather than 12.38 for the VR4 rotors. No you don't HAVE to use 300Z calipers, I am using mine with stock calipers right now actually. However you will need to grind on the stock caliper ALOT to get the Cobra or VR4 rotor to fit inside the stock caliper, they are way too wide to fit without grinding. The other thing you will need is a bracket to relocate the caliper. You can either make this yourself or find someone who can make it for you. If you need more help with that let us know there are a number of people on here, including myself, who have done or are doing this brake upgrade.
Old 07-24-2003 | 06:40 PM

Well, as for brake upgrades, there is only two nissan vehicles I know of that we can mix with for fronts. The 300ZX (Z32) and the Q45. With both, you would have to mill down the radius of the rotor by 3mm due to the design of the hub mounting tab. All nissan FWD cars' brake mounts sit 3mm closer to the center of the hub then on their RWD cars. Now, as for the VR-4 upgrade, I have heard of ppl using the VR-4 calipers as well on 300Z's but I'm not absolutly sure if the brake mounts are the same on both. You can, however, use the 12.5 rotors with the Z32 calipers due to them being the same thickness as the Z rotors. You will need a bracket to compensate for the larger diameter and offset of the rotor. I have the design for this done (SolidWorks CAD format) and ready for machining but scrapped the idea in favor of the 13" cobra rotor upgrade. Had half of the cobra rotor bracket done but lost access to the machine shop I was using. Finally found another one thought so should be finishing that soon. If you have any questions lemme know.
Old 07-24-2003 | 07:01 PM
pMB

haha

q45 and 300zx uses same 13" rotors. and who said cobra and vr-4? nuts.

get 300ZX 4 piston calipers and rotors for front. make sure to ask for brake lines and the two bolts that holds the calipers.

and about the rear brakes...they don't do sh+t. no need to waste $$.

and about that 17" discussion, some 16" (like stock 300ZX wheels) fit perfect. if rims don't fit, get spacer.
Old 07-24-2003 | 08:47 PM

Re: haha

Originally posted by pMB
q45 and 300zx uses same 13" rotors.
What I wrote had to do with rotor thickness as apposed to diameter. Q45 uses a 28mm thickness, 11" diameter where as a 3Z uses 26 & 30mm thicknesses, 11" diameter. The VR-4 uses a 30mm thickness, 12.5" diameter and the Cobra 28mm thickness, 13" diameter so with the 6mm difference (worst case senario), you could make any rotor fit with any caliper. As for who was talkin about VR-4 and Cobra, the post was about what he needed to perform a 12.5" VR-4 upgrade. He also asked what else was out there so Nealoc and I merely suggested Mustang Cobra rotors as another alternative.
Old 07-25-2003 | 05:39 AM

about that mysterious bracket

but about them brakets guys ..hmmm am under my maxima every other week end fixin or maintaining somthing or another just gota make sure she runs on point since if she stops to run for some unforseen reson my intire life goes flop so i tend to make sure i see problems before they become any you diggg!! i really want to do this mod its been on my list for so long ang got every part in my mind am now saving some $ so i can go down to a local junkjard and scrap me some 300.tt.calipers ...but i really want upgraded rotors so it.s ''1'' vr-4..or..or ..2..''cobra..rotors right on ..i just hate having modified front brakes and leaving the rear stock i would like some type of nicer caliper but not the overpriced ones ..thought theyr was another model that hade 2 piston rear calipers that fit the max hmm so much for that i guess just rear cross drilles vented rotors are gonna have to do.....but how about that braket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...who makes it ?? is it only a do it yourself product ???thanks for your time guys ....
Old 07-25-2003 | 06:30 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by pMB

and about that 17" discussion, some 16" (like stock 300ZX wheels) fit perfect. if rims don't fit, get spacer.
What about regular 16" SE wheels?

Any idea how much spacer would be needed? 5mm, 15, 25??
Old 07-25-2003 | 06:54 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by pMB
q45 and 300zx uses same 13" rotors. and who said cobra and vr-4? nuts.

get 300ZX 4 piston calipers and rotors for front. make sure to ask for brake lines and the two bolts that holds the calipers.

and about the rear brakes...they don't do sh+t. no need to waste $$.

300ZX and Q45s use 11" rotors guy, not 13" and after you mill them down they will be about 10.7". Don't give the man misinformation when he's looking for advice. 11" rotors are not big enough for some people's wants/needs.
Old 07-25-2003 | 07:20 AM

Re: about that mysterious bracket

..thought theyr was another model that hade 2 piston rear calipers that fit the max hmm so much for that i guess just rear cross drilles vented rotors are gonna have to do.....but how about that braket !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...who makes it ?? is it only a do it yourself product ???thanks for your time guys ....
As for rear upgrades, it gets really hard in that area. It would require much time (which I don't have being in college) to design a functional setup where the parking brake works as well. I have thought of 3Z rear calipers (2 piston) but there would be almost no way to hook up the parking brake due to the design. The 3Z uses a drum brake inside of the disk hat as it's E-brake and the way this mounts to the hub is way different then on a Max. Possibly with brackets or a hub swap (somehow, no clue how yet), this will be able to work. Now for the brackets. Ginn motorsports in GA makes brake upgrades for 3Z's and nice ones at that. The only thing is, they are made for RWD nissan's and not FWD (discussed in my previous post) so you would still have to mill down the rotors. From what I know, most of us here had our own brackets made by either knowing of a machine shop that could do it or doing it ourselves. If you need any help or ideas, feel free to contact me and I will help ya the best I can.
Old 07-25-2003 | 09:02 AM

COOL BEANS KMAX!! THANKS!!

WELL I WAS ALSO THINKING OF PURCHASING A PAIR OF AFTERMARKET 12.5" ROTORS AND JUST GETTING THE CALIPER FROM A JUNKED 300Z ..OFCOURSE I WOULD BUY THE STAINLESS STEEL BRAKELINES TO GO WITH IT BUT DAM ..IS THAT NUTTY CALIPER BRACKET HARD TO MAKE ??? IS IT CHROMOLY?? STEEL?? ALUM?? IT WILL GO THROUGH SOME SERIOUS BEATING TO WITHSTAND THE FORCE BEAING APPLYED ..I HOPE IT,S SAFE ..SO TELL ME HOW MUCH AM I LOOKING AT HEAR FOR THE BRACKET ESTIMATE AMOUNT.?.?. ONCE AGAIN THANKS
Old 07-25-2003 | 09:47 AM

DONT JUST WANT STOCK VENTED ROTORS

AM LOOKING FOR SUPREAM BRAKING POWER WITHOUT THE BIG $$ THAT CAN BE SPENT ON SOMTHING ELSE SAY..JIC..YOU KNOW??
Old 07-25-2003 | 01:38 PM

Re: COOL BEANS KMAX!! THANKS!!

IS IT CHROMOLY?? STEEL?? ALUM??
The Cobra bracket is made out of 303 Stainless Steel, a very hard material that will take massive amounts of abuse. The VR-4 bracket I designed was supposed to be made out of 7075 Aircraft Quailty Aluminum cause it's thicker and should be able to take the stress at that size. I have no doubts about the Steel tho. Smoked a machining bit trying to drill the holes in it. As for prices, not sure yet cause the machine shop that is lettin me use the machines is doin so as a favor. I will ask the foreman what he thinks about mass producing a few tho. IF you are mechanically inclined, you could try making brackets with a plasma cutter or band saw, a grinder or a milling machine, and a drill press but it prolly wont be pretty. Any more questions, just post up.
Old 07-25-2003 | 04:12 PM
Blazin......

OK so whats a bolt on brake upgrade.? any? is the 300z 4 piston caliper and rotors a bolt on or not. im intrested in just something easy to do. any ideas. thanks mwest
Old 07-25-2003 | 04:57 PM

Originally posted by bobjohnson
OK so whats a bolt on brake upgrade.? any? is the 300z 4 piston caliper and rotors a bolt on or not. im intrested in just something easy to do. any ideas. thanks mwest
3Z calipers and rotors are a bolt on accept you have to grind down the control arm where it connects to the steering knuckle. You also must mill down the diameter of the rotor by 6mm (11"-->10.75").
Old 07-28-2003 | 06:04 AM

WELL I'LL BE A MONKEYS UNCLE KMAX!

HEY AND SO IF YOU WERE TO GET 12.5 ROTORS I WOULD HAVE TO GRIND THEM DOWN ALSO RIGHT? HMMM BUMMER DOING THAT TO A NEW ROTOR .. HOW MUCH ARE NEW VR-4.. COBRA ..ROTORS ANYWAY??? AM GOING TO BUY THIS MOD ONE PART AT A TIME ..AND AS FOR THE REAR AM JUST LEAVING IT WITH CROSSDRILLED/VENTED ROTOR .SS.LINE.AND AM GOING TO PAINT IT WITH SOME BLACK EPOXY RESIN PAINT ..SO IT WILL BE OUT OF THE PICTURE ..AS FOR THE FRONT WE HAVE MUCH MORE OPTIONS SO CROSS-DRILLED ROTOR-SS-LINE..AND NICE PADS ALL AROUND ..SOUND LIKE A DECENT SETUP TO ME ..WHAT DO YOU THINK KMAX??.. THANKS ..MUCH..
Old 07-28-2003 | 01:48 PM

Re: WELL I'LL BE A MONKEYS UNCLE KMAX!

HEY AND SO IF YOU WERE TO GET 12.5 ROTORS I WOULD HAVE TO GRIND THEM DOWN ALSO RIGHT? HMMM BUMMER DOING THAT TO A NEW ROTOR .. HOW MUCH ARE NEW VR-4.. COBRA ..ROTORS ANYWAY??? ..WHAT DO YOU THINK KMAX??.. THANKS ..MUCH..
Actually, with the bracket, you compensate for the 3mm loss by adding 3mm to the bracket/hub radius offset. So with the 12.5 VR-4's and the 13 Cobra's, you don't need to mill them down if you designed the bracket correctly. As for the setup you explained, sounds very adequate for everyday and even autocross driving (there are some guys on here who only upgrade pads and rotors when they race). The only reason I did the brake upgrade is because I'm a performance junkie and like to be able to stop on a dime (and still get change); plus, I knew that I would be supercharging the car one day also.
Old 07-28-2003 | 08:21 PM
SLOW

I think you need to assess the pad situation you are working with before you go upgrading your rotors. Pads will give you more increased stopping power than rotors will. The only performance reason for larger rotors if you are running on street tires is to dissipate the heat of repeated stops, like you would get during hot lapping on a road course. I can tell you right now that if you have 12.5 or 13" rotors and a decent set of pads you are going to have more brake than your tires will EVER be able to handle, unless you are running R compounds which I imagine you aren't. I'm buying a set of $800 R-compound tires and a spare set of wheels because my 13" rotors and MODERATELY upgraded pads stop too hard for my T1-Ss.

So I say analyze why you are doing this. If you want a bigger rotor thats fine. If you want to stop harder you need to get pads and tires, then worry about rotors. If you need the bigger rotor to dissipate heat then getting large rotors would be necessary.
Old 07-29-2003 | 12:39 AM
Blazin......

Originally posted by KMax2988

3Z calipers and rotors are a bolt on accept you have to grind down the control arm where it connects to the steering knuckle. You also must mill down the diameter of the rotor by 6mm (11"-->10.75&quot.

so i can go to the yard and just rip em off. or like buy brembro crossdrilled for a 300zx and grind those down, would that work.? i need new fronts but i wanna do a full conversion to something big. how much you think itll cost to pull it off. ? searching......
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:21 AM

YOUR RIGHT MR.187 .THATS THE DEAL

IT,S HIGHER PERFORMANCE IS WHY WE ARE HEAR TO MAKE THE MAXIMA BETTER THAT IT ALREADY IS ..WHY I AM DOING THIS MOD IS CUS SINCE I LIVE IN MIAMI THE WATHER HEAR IS INFERNO HOT AND ON ANY GIVEN DAY IT GETS LIKE 95 + SO WHEN I DRIVE I ALWAYS GO A LITTLE FASTER THAN THE POSTED SPEED LIMIT .SO WHEN I STOP MANY TIMES BEFORE IT HAPPENS IN A FLASH DUE TO STUPID DRIVERS .AND MY BRAKES FADE OUT ..SO I FUGURE WITHOUT BLOWING NEXT MONTHES RENT ..HOW CAN I RESONABLY MAKE MY BRAKES BETTER ..AND I,VE SEEN SOME MODS OF 300Z CALIPER UPGRADES WITH LARGER ROTORS AND IT LOOKS SPOT ON !! TO SOMTHING THAT WILL WORK ..AM RUNNING 235-40-17..CONNTINENTAL CANTISPORT TIRES AND THEY ARE GOOD .BUT TO THIS DAY AND JUST ABOUT ALL THE TIRES I,VR GONE THROUGH TOYOS SEEM TO BE THE BEST ..BACK TO THE MAIN ..I AGREE PADS DO MAKE A HUGE DIFFERENCE .INDEED ..HOW DO YOU GUYS LIKE THEM .."GREEN STUFF" PADS ARE THEY ANY GOOD ALOT OF AUTOCROSS FOLKES SWEAR BY THEM BUT I WANTED TO GET MORE FEED BACK ...THANKS GUYS ..
Old 07-29-2003 | 07:44 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by bobjohnson

so i can go to the yard and just rip em off. or like buy brembro crossdrilled for a 300zx and grind those down, would that work.? i need new fronts but i wanna do a full conversion to something big. how much you think itll cost to pull it off. ? searching......
You can't mill down cross drilled rotors that would be dangerous, and slotted rotors most likely would be too. The milling bit would hit the edges of the holes or slots and break off and possibly injure someone. Get normal rotors. I'm not sure if this was made clear or not, but you're milling off the diameter, not the thickness.

bob--cool then go with larger rotors if you think they will help, but please lose the caps lock key
Old 07-29-2003 | 02:58 PM

I NEED FRONT CALIPER BRAKETS

WITH ALL THIS FIGUERED OUT .ALL THAT IS LEFT TO WONDER IS THE BRAKE BRAKETS !! PADS ROTORS LINES CALIPER..BUT THE BRAKET TO FIT THE LARGER ROTOR IS ALMOST IMPOSIBLE TO FIND ..WHO CAN I CALL OR GO TO GET A PAIR OF THEM ...THANKS..GUYS..95SE.140K MILES ..FSTB.RSTB.RSB.AGX.SPRINTS.17.W.235-40-17 CONISPORT TIRES..
Old 07-30-2003 | 05:57 AM

where can i get the brake brakets from?

who knows whre i can get me a pair of brakets for the 300z calipers to be fitted on the max ??? .please ..thanks
Old 07-30-2003 | 06:09 AM

Re: where can i get the brake brakets from?

who knows whre i can get me a pair of brakets for the 300z calipers to be fitted on the max ??? .please ..thanks
You won't need brackets if you're gonna use the 300ZX rotors along with the calipers. Just remember to mill down the radius by 3mm.
Old 07-30-2003 | 06:16 AM

thanks k max but _

I plan on using 12.5 or 13 inch rotors with the 300z caliper ..so since the diam of the rotor wont let the caliper bolt to the hub ..i think the brakets are requierd..dam i wish i can get in touch with some folkes who have larger brakes up front.. well .k max i know you know about this mod ans have been so helpfull i thank you for your good input and help ...peace
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:35 AM

Re: thanks k max but _

I plan on using 12.5 or 13 inch rotors with the 300z caliper ..so since the diam of the rotor wont let the caliper bolt to the hub ..i think the brakets are requierd..dam i wish i can get in touch with some folkes who have larger brakes up front.. well .k max i know you know about this mod ans have been so helpfull i thank you for your good input and help ...peace
You're very welcome. Tell ya what tho, I'm goin to meet with the machinist today at around 3:30 (EST) so I'll c if I can get another set made for ya. I'll let ya know when I get a chance.
Old 07-30-2003 | 07:51 AM
SLOW

Re: thanks k max but _

You've got the folks (some of us) who have larger brakes right here on this thread. You don't find the brackets you make them. Or have someone make them. No one makes them currently in mass production. That's why not too many people innovate things like this. They are incapable or unwilling to put in the effort required.
Old 07-30-2003 | 09:41 AM

werd up mr.187 good thought

I personally try to modify everything that is within my learning or skill.. if i had a torch or plasma cuter i guess i could scratch up some thick aluminum or steel plates from a local machine shop ..but to be honest i dont have much hands on with that kind of mod.. HEY K MAX IF YOU DO SCRAP UP SOME EXTRA ONES OR CAN GIVE ME THE STENCIL OR BLUEPRINT SO I CAN GO AROUND AND SEE HOW I CAN GET THEM DONE ..THAT WOULD BE GREAT ..OF COURSE I WILL COMPINSATE YOU ..LET ME KNOW BUDDY ..OK.PEACE
Old 07-30-2003 | 12:54 PM

LET ME KNOW K MAX

IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK GETTING THE BRAKETS OR BLUEPRINTS..AND WHAT DO YOU NEED IF ANY TO ORDER THEM ..OK..COOL..PEACE
Old 07-30-2003 | 01:02 PM

Re: LET ME KNOW K MAX

IF YOU HAVE ANY LUCK GETTING THE BRAKETS OR BLUEPRINTS..AND WHAT DO YOU NEED IF ANY TO ORDER THEM ..OK..COOL..PEACE
Hey, just got back from the machine shop. Man those guys r busy but he said he'd make me a set. As for extras, I didnt wanna push it seeing all the stuff they had goin on. I'd be more then glad to send ya blue prints of the bracket tho so lemme know ur email and I can shoot them over to ya. I'll just save um as pics then send um to ya cause they are in SolidWorks format right now.
Old 07-30-2003 | 01:06 PM

WOW THANKS K MAX THAT WOULD BE KICK A**

SENT IT TO bamore@miamidade.gov ok and if you could a small explanation on how the design is set up to work correctly. to the stock maxima hub ...thanks a mill. k max ..your the man ..and i will let you know how it goes bud ...thanks
Old 07-30-2003 | 01:26 PM

Re: WOW THANKS K MAX THAT WOULD BE KICK A**

SENT IT TO bamore@miamidade.gov ok and if you could a small explanation on how the design is set up to work correctly. to the stock maxima hub ...thanks a mill. k max ..your the man ..and i will let you know how it goes bud ...thanks
You've got mail.
Old 07-30-2003 | 02:18 PM
Blazin......

Originally posted by Nealoc187

, but please lose the caps lock key
thanks for the help with those rotors, but Ive never used the caps lock key , lol. ya thinkin of broncomax.