4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strut Tower Brace won't fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001, 08:56 PM
yohann

I just purchased a new Courtesy FTSB and Adco RSB. The RSB went in rather easily considering I did it alone and without jacking the car up at all(about 1 hr)...no squeaks either. The FTSB is another story. They had just switched to a new contractor and the price is now $109 but it looks the same, chrome shaft and red plates. First problem came when I found that the end bolt flanges are so close to the inner strut bolt that you can't use a socket. The second came when I found the oversized Nissan nuts prevent the end bolts from going into the brace ends. I solved that by purchasing some ugly but effective standard nuts at Pep Boys. I bolted it all together, adjusted everything and tighted it down. Relieved the job was over I cleared out my tools and dropped the hood only have it stop right at the latch. I picked it up and looked to see if I left anything in the fender creases....nothing. I tried again, this time testing by pushing down slightly on the hood. Nope, it won't latch. I watched the brace as I lowered the hood and sure enough it contacts the hood before I even lose sight of it as the hood lowers. I tried offsetting slighting to the rear but nothing worked. Has anyone had this problem? Is this new brace just too high or is this typical. I don't want to cut off my hood insulation just to find that it's not enough. It does have a high angle and easily clears all the harnesses but maybe they forgot to drop the hood before they gave the order for production.......... I'll head in to Courtesy tomorrow to see if they have had any similar teething pains with this brace.

Old 02-06-2001, 09:18 AM
BlkCat

I bought the Courtesy strut bar a couple of months back and had no problem with the install. Did you mount it so that the bar was in front of the strut towers towards the front of the car? I had no problems with the holes matching and I was able to reuse the original nuts.

Old 02-06-2001, 10:04 AM
yohann

I think I may have the problem down now. And yes it is mounted right, the plates only go on one way, you can't install it backwards. I did however just look at my receipt and noticed it said 2000 Maxima....DOH! Oh well, off to Courtesy, hopefully we can get this figured out!

***Note*** the part is supposed to fit the 98 as well as the 2000 so it beats me, it supercedes the previous FTSB. They had the previous model on hand and we swapped it in easily with no problems, maybe 1-2 inches of height difference. Oh well, I am happy, the car handles great now although I have yet to put it to the test.

[Edited by Yohann on 02-06-2001 at 05:57 PM]