4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001 | 03:20 PM

Hey, i let my girlfriend drive my car home from the movies. When we turned out of the parking lot, she misshifted into second, stayed in neutral and revved my engine all the way to redlie(might of gone to 7000) for at least 3 seconds and then at the next stop light, my car smelt like burning oil. So then i got in the driver seat and drove from there on. I dropped her off and went straight home (total of 6 miles of driving from the theaters). I was drove real cautiously trying not to rev on take offs the whole way but it seemed like my max's acceleration was somewhat gone(hopefully just a mental thing). Once i pulled up my driveway, i popped the hood and let the engine cool. The smell of oil slowly went away but the car was off.

Does anyone know if I will keep on smelling the burning oil? Are any tubes, gaskets or anything blown or broken? Does it have some major damage to my engine? Or did it just smell like that because of the high revs? Does it sound alright? Some diagnose me please... thanks
Old 02-06-2001 | 03:24 PM
dot dot dot ...

Damn Girlfriends

Yeah...........I feel you......I let my gf drive one time and she grinded the starter cuz she thought the VQ wasn't on Anyway.......I've taken my car up there a lot and have never smelled burning oil.........Only 1 time when I had just got my oil changed the fools spilled oil on the engine and as I drove home I could smell it.......but that isn't your case......may wanna have nissan look at it if the problem persists.........I think it is just cuz of the severe revz........no big prob.........good luck
Old 02-06-2001 | 03:42 PM

HEY...

you know what...After readiing your reply NmexMAX, i did go take my car for an oil change on sunday, filled up the gas on monday but never drove the car hard since then. So maybe those mechanics spilled some oil all over my engine bay. i dunno, maybe. i think i just have to wade it out to see if things are all good. thanks
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:49 PM

Anyone else..

have any ideas if my car is alright?