4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

AH! Emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:26 PM

AH! Emissions testing

I posted a while back about not being able to pass emissions (figures were almost double the limit) with my 96 gxe. It had a RT cat, without the o2 sensor mounted. I had a place mount the sensor in, and they said the cat was in perfect condition. Great.

I go to get my inspection done this morning, and I'm failing again! The HC and CO went down drasticlly, to below normal levels, so all's good there... but my NOx (ran twice) were 1.81 and 1.69. The limit's 1.50 (arg!) The mechanic there recomended I put in some fuel injector cleaner cause that helped a couple of people, especailly since I wasn't like way off. Came back after taking a short road trip to CT (about 120 miles) to let some of that STP garbage work, went to the same place, and it didn't help at all, ran 1.70.

I don't know what to do anymore. It took me forever and a day to find a place willing to weld in a god damn nut just so I could mount that sensor, and I still can't get the sticker. Its been 3 tickets so far for not having an inspection (they're getting desperate here in NYC) and I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any clue what to do next?
Old 08-18-2003, 02:25 PM
What's next!?..

NOx problems

Hey man,

Did you ever solve the problem?

I just went for my test today and have the same problem.
Took it for an hour long drive up the Palisades before taking it to the shop too.

HC and CO levels were fine but NOx levels were twice the limit.

They said it could be my EGR, O2 sensors, or Cat.

Last major tune up was less than a year ago and I always use super unleaded gas. Argh..

I'm gonna clean the TB and EGR tonight.

Anyone have any other ideas??
Old 08-18-2003, 09:53 PM

Re: NOx problems

Originally posted by JPMax
Hey man,

Did you ever solve the problem?

I just went for my test today and have the same problem.
Took it for an hour long drive up the Palisades before taking it to the shop too.

HC and CO levels were fine but NOx levels were twice the limit.

They said it could be my EGR, O2 sensors, or Cat.

Last major tune up was less than a year ago and I always use super unleaded gas. Argh..

I'm gonna clean the TB and EGR tonight.

Anyone have any other ideas??
Yea, 50 bucks and a shady mechanic.

Check the ECU and see if you're spitting out O2 codes (sometimes it won't trigger the CEL, but you'll have a O2 sensor on the way out). My rear sensor is apparently dead which was probably causing my high NoX reading.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:43 PM

i see some sort of additive that you put in your gas tank that is supposed to be guaranteed to make you pass emissions. I forget what it is called, but just look around the other fuel additives and you should find it. If I remember correctly, if you don't pass they will refund the purchase price, but i'm not exactly sure on that.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:09 AM
ivelweyz

You have a 96 right? With the obd2 they only check your recent ecu codes and stuff...

Old 08-20-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by maxima_se007
i see some sort of additive that you put in your gas tank that is supposed to be guaranteed to make you pass emissions. I forget what it is called, but just look around the other fuel additives and you should find it. If I remember correctly, if you don't pass they will refund the purchase price, but i'm not exactly sure on that.
Yea, I dumped a can of this crap in before my second test round, which failed. Its called "Guaranteed to Pass Emissions" formula or some bad name like that. It does not work. If you read the back, it says that if any part of your exhaust system isn't functioning properly, it won't work (making that product practiclly usless). My O2 sensors were busted, so it didn't work. As illegal and un-eviro-friendly as this is, your best bet is to goto different mechanics and such, mention that you keep failing, slip them a 50 and be on your way.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Anyone have instructions on how to clean the EGR?