4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

installing clear tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

installing clear tail lights

Does anyone know where to get instructions on installing new tail lights on a 99 GLE? Also, Are the bulbs inside the old lenses colored or should they be supplied with Altezzas? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: installing clear tail lights

Originally posted by cjsaus
Does anyone know where to get instructions on installing new tail lights on a 99 GLE? Also, Are the bulbs inside the old lenses colored or should they be supplied with Altezzas? Thanks.
Did it last week. you'll need 9mm wrench or socket is easier, there's 4 nuts you need to take off and reuse on the new lights. Take back the liner in the trunk (gently bend) and you'll see your 4 nuts. i'd unscrew them first before taking the bulbs out. hardest part is pulling the OEM lenses out. You'll have to pull firmly (try a little pulling on each side - rock it slowly) to get it started. It feels like it'll never budge, but it does move as long as you've taken out the four nuts. before pulling the light out all the way, put newspaper or something under it or you'll get sticky black tar **** stringing on your bumper. once the lights are loose, take out the bulbs. the factory bulbs should be fine. press the altezza's firmly into place and start all the nuts. don't tighten until all are in place. That's it. The ones in the trunk lid are much easier to get to b/c there's nothing covering the back of the lights. Lemme know if this helps. I have a '98 GLE and it worked fine 'cept 1 screw on both of the corners didnt' push through enough to get the nut on, but with all the other's tightened, it really didn't matter. I tested and those lights aren't goin anyplace and the seal doesn't let any water in. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: installing clear tail lights

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get to it this weekend. In the meantime, how many of what color and what size bulbs do I need?
Old 08-08-2003, 02:24 AM

Well, you need clear for your reverse lights, but the rest can be all red or amber. I'd personally go with red because amber sucks and makes things ugly eh. But if anything, just go with what has a nicer appearance. Go to custommaxima.com to find out what and how many bulbs you will need. Click store > lighting > polarg and in there there is a chart in one of the links. Good luck.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:13 AM

good lord, i have the altezzas II and damn if the blinker bulb *#$&#($&#-ed up my blinker/hazard/signal for alarm!!!! I put in a red bulb that has little led's just like the altezzas, from autozone, and now the whole electrical system is screwed up. They look awesome, but it totally messed up my lighting back there.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:31 AM

do this, take the two altezzas place them behind you car, put the car in reverse and run them over. Repeat 5 to 10 times. By now the they should be close to powder form, if not dont worry about it. They make good burning material just beware of the fumes they may be toxic.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:49 AM

they suck!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't like the OEM's though...what should I do? How about the red/clear conversion? Is that difficult? Where is the link to that step by step???
Old 08-11-2003, 01:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: installing clear tail lights

Thanks Mintermman. It was actually a piece of cake, with a little black crap on my hands. That stuff sucks. Anyway, the whole deal took me about 45 minutes from start to finish. The look awesome too! I have the Nissan Silver Mist color (pewterish) and the Altezzas blend in real nice. I don't know what everyone else is complaining about, but if there is something in the future I should beware of with these, please let me know. I'm going to take a picture later and post it.