4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Motivational Rear Mounts @ $125 = RIP OFF

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 07:32 AM

Motivational Rear Mounts @ $125 = RIP OFF

I am doing my suspension with progress and gr2 and have heard that I should put those rear mounts in for an extra inch of rear travel. DO I really need this or is this for people with sprints and big 2 inch drops? Assuming I do need this is there anybody that sells them for cheaper than $125? cause I dont know if that is worth it...
Old 08-07-2003, 08:05 AM

I just recently dropped my car 2" all around. And compared to using the OEM dustboots (non-cut bumpstops) to my new KYB dust boots (cut-bumpstops) my rear end NEVER bottoms out or makes harsh noises like it used to over big bumps or dips in the road. When i had both dustboots off the car i compared them to each other and the OEM bumpstops were atleast a full inch taller if not more than the KYB bumpstops. So that right there gave me the satisfaction of knowing my rear will have that much more travel when hitting bumps and such on the road.

But, other people here say that the new mounts will make the ride even smoother. So its really a matter of opinion and experiance.

just my.o2!

Ant
Old 08-07-2003, 09:16 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Is you thread title a statement or question?
If it's a question, then my vote is its WORTH IT.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

There are alternatives, unfortunately I'm out of stock at the moment
Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

there are always lots of comments but never the "why's" backing them.

I used maxspeed springs with the kyb dustboots and they have served me well. from the forums (when search was available) i read that they arent necessary. I called to order them anyways just to try them out but was told to wait 2 months for the next fabrication. I jsut went ahead and installed my new suspension without. I do not have any gripes and i have my suspension set to 2/4 driving in the pothole infested NYC.

To speak frankly, I thought about it and couldn't justify the extra $125 for an inch of travel, which i did not have to begin with anyways. i figured i woudlnt be missing much.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:37 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

You "don't miss what you don't have"...
But... "Worth it" is subjective...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:49 AM

OK let me rephrase my statement/question Should I get these mounts for 125 or should I get a budget Y ? I am poor and in college therefore I am lucky to even get one of them? but I dont want to make the investment on progess and r2 for them to fail in about a year because i did the job half ***...therefore... IF I DO NOT HAVE these mounts am I doing a half *** job which will cause my gr2's to fail.......??????
Old 08-07-2003, 10:00 AM

Budget Y! Most bang for the buck mod i've heard on .org
Old 08-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I was a non believer in the MV mounts as well. However, I picked them up in a group deal and installed them with my H&R springs.

They make a big difference in the way your car rides.

Believe it or not, it's the truth.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

ive never bought the rear mounts either but from experince espically with Nissans, any product that will give you more suspension travel is definetely good. 1 inch may sound like nothing but itll make a difference, espically if your lowered alot and say you only have 1.5 inch suspension travel and 25% of the time your suspension will bottom out. (prolly dont even notice it bottoming out most of the time) then with that extra 1 inch travel you might only bottom out like 5% of the time. those % are for example purpose only. dunno the real percentage...
Old 08-07-2003, 12:25 PM

how in the world do they work... i was trying to figure it out in my head...but the only way i can conceive getting an extra inch of sus. travel is by raising the car...?????
Old 08-07-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by skeetsmax
how in the world do they work... i was trying to figure it out in my head...but the only way i can conceive getting an extra inch of sus. travel is by raising the car...?????
They move the top shock mount upwards giving the piston move room to travel.

OEM mounts look like this \__T__/ The T being the nut on top.

MV mounts look like this ____T____ They are flat up against the body of the car vers the OEM which are U shaped. You also get smaller bushings to go below the mount which brings things up even further.

They are quite easy to fabricate and $125 is a bit steep for what you get. But, they work!
Old 08-07-2003, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
I'm satisfied with the product...nice work
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

They move the top shock mount upwards giving the piston move room to travel.

OEM mounts look like this \__T__/ The T being the nut on top.

MV mounts look like this ____T____ They are flat up against the body of the car vers the OEM which are U shaped. You also get smaller bushings to go below the mount which brings things up even further.

They are quite easy to fabricate and $125 is a bit steep for what you get. But, they work!
too bad they don't make them for the front.

ground-control makes them for honda (front & rear).
Old 08-07-2003, 01:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 97GLES
too bad they don't make them for the front.

ground-control makes them for honda (front & rear).

Are you referring to their camber plates?? They make some for the B14 Sentra chassis and for the older Altimas. On their project 200SX, Sport Compact Car used them to increase suspension travel in the front without changing the ride height. I wonder if they can be modified to work on Maximas.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:57 PM

I agree this is something that seems like a great Idea...but I have called the number on their website and everytime i just get the answering machine.....

http://www.motivational.net/products/shockmounts.shtml
Old 08-07-2003, 08:25 PM

They KYB GR2's are beefy, and will stand up to the lower ride height. My friend has 2" sprints with GR2's and they have not blown yet. Plus the ride is pretty compliant, nice if you ask me. I have KYB agx with Progress and I actually like the way his car rides and looks better than mine. Get the Y-pipe its awsome! Toss the mounts they are not worth the money in my opinion, they are just two pieces of machined steel. You could totally fabricate them youself if you had the right Machining tools or even a cutting torch and welder. I thought about just inverting the stock mounts, and taking the studs out and tack welding them on the other way, with I think would work in theory, but I havn't had the time to really get in there and look at it.

OK let me rephrase my statement/question Should I get these mounts for 125 or should I get a budget Y ? I am poor and in college therefore I am lucky to even get one of them? but I dont want to make the investment on progess and r2 for them to fail in about a year because i did the job half ***...therefore... IF I DO NOT HAVE these mounts am I doing a half *** job which will cause my gr2's to fail.......??????
Old 08-09-2003, 02:40 PM

Old 08-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by Joseph77
They KYB GR2's are beefy, and will stand up to the lower ride height. My friend has 2" sprints with GR2's and they have not blown yet. Plus the ride is pretty compliant, nice if you ask me. I have KYB agx with Progress and I actually like the way his car rides and looks better than mine. Get the Y-pipe its awsome! Toss the mounts they are not worth the money in my opinion, they are just two pieces of machined steel. You could totally fabricate them youself if you had the right Machining tools or even a cutting torch and welder. I thought about just inverting the stock mounts, and taking the studs out and tack welding them on the other way, with I think would work in theory, but I havn't had the time to really get in there and look at it.

1) KYB GR2s are definately beefy, but they won't handle anything over a 1.5" drop for long. I had GR2s in the rear with my Intrax springs (1.8' drop in the rear) and they were blown within 12K miles. GR2s ARE NOT made to handle the higher spring rates of lowering springs.

2) Sprints ride like crap. Period

3) Most people don't have access to the maching tools to make these mounts. $125 is steep, but the guy makes them himself.

4) I've had these mounts for about a year now. My setup is H&Rs, Koni fronts, AGX rears (soon to be replaced by superior Konis), MV strut mounts, WSP SFCs I/II, and 17s. The ride is amazing. The mounts made a huge difference in ride quality. It's taken me a long time to fine tune my setup (4 years) and not in my wildest dreams would I ever thought a Maxima could ride this low and ride so nice.

Dave
Old 08-09-2003, 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Dave B

4) I've had these mounts for about a year now. My setup is H&Rs, Koni fronts, AGX rears (soon to be replaced by superior Konis), MV strut mounts, WSP SFCs I/II, and 17s. The ride is amazing. The mounts made a huge difference in ride quality. It's taken me a long time to fine tune my setup (4 years) and not in my wildest dreams would I ever thought a Maxima could ride this low and ride so nice.

Dave
I have almost the same setup:
H&R's with Koni's all around (fronts were shortened by Mike @ Motivational Engineering)
Motivational Engineering rear mounts
WSP Stage I and II have been in their packaging for the past 2 years...but they'll be on before the end of summer
17" SSR Integrals with Potenza RE030 (tires aren't that hot).

I bought the ME rear mounts first, loved the ride, so I bought a set of Koni's just so I could have the front shortened...Love the ride much better. It's still a little rough on bad roads, but I blame that on my tires and hope that the WSP will help out some.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
It's taken me a long time to fine tune my setup (4 years) and not in my wildest dreams would I ever thought a Maxima could ride this low and ride so nice.
Dave

It's taken me 3 summers to fine tune my ride. Finally I have a setup that looks hot and rides as smooth as glass. You'd never know my car was dropped from the way it rides down the highway. It's the little things like the rear mounts and combining different struts that help make the ride quality superrior.

One thing is for sure, front AGX's ride like **** on any lowering spring.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Booooo!!!! Again, you should have told me before I bought my mounts.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:04 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I took drove an RSX-S today with an AEM CAI and Hondata reflash (runs 14.2s). The RSX had no suspension work and the stock wheels and to my amazement it rode stiffer and harsher than my Maxima with full suspension work and wheels/tires. I took the guy for a spin in my Maxima and he was simply blown away at how smooth my car rode and how hard it cornered. Gotta love those H&Rs. The RSX rode very similiar to my Max when I had Intrax.

Dave
Old 08-11-2003, 08:30 AM

I agree this is something that seems like a great Idea...but I have called the number on their website and everytime i just get the answering machine.....

http://www.motivational.net/products/shockmounts.shtml
Motivational mounts are not a waste and if you want the added travel, buy them. Joseph77 doesn't know what he's talking about because he doesn't have them.