4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Please Help.... Alternator problem??? (LONG post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003, 10:44 PM

Please Help.... Alternator problem??? (LONG post)

I've been having a few problems recently with my 97 max. Not more than a month ago my alternator completely died on me. Luckily I had just purchased it and the dealer replaced it. Now, I was on my way home from school (120 mile trip) and after about 75 miles or so in the dark with just my headlights, A/C on 2 without recirculate and my radio on very low(no system). I noticed my dash lights dimming, then I noticed my headlights dimming. Shortly thereafter my battery and brake lights came on very quickly. This happend more and more the rest of the trip, but the lights never came on for very long. Got home, unpacked and then tried to start the car. Started up just fine and no problems, I could not recreate the problem. So I contact my dealer(carmax...I know I know....) and they take a look at it, but since I nor them can recreate the problem, and when tested the alternator is a little low but still in the green.

So over the next few days I torture test the car, whenever I go anywhere I have the A/C full blast and everything I can turn on, ON. No problems. So tonight, I drive my girl home and we're just sittin in the driveway talkin' I have my parking lights on, and that's it...no A/C, no radio, nothing. And it happened again!! So I turn the car off, go inside and come back out maybe 10 minutes later and everything is fine....once again, i attempt to recreate the problem with no luck. After doing a few searches on here I do the test where you disconnect the battery while the car is running....did this and the car kept going...but then i got in the car and started turning everything on...at this point my headlights seem to blink every now and then allong with all the other electronic equipment in my car.

So the situation I'm stuck in now....I have to leave to go back to school in 2 days, the dealer will fix the problem if it goes out or we can recreate the problem...but I don't see that happening. I want to say it's the alternator but it's not completely gone. Just wondering if anyone else has had these problems...if so were you able to fix it without the car completely dying on you? or any advice would be greatly appreciated....please help me.....I feel so helpless... Sorry for the length I jsut wanted to make sure I defined everything....
Old 08-18-2003, 09:03 AM

anyone....help???