4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

newbie questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 07:47 AM

newbie questions

hello all,

i'm new here, and i have a few questions.

(1) i will be changing spark plugs soon, and wanted to get some opinions on the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. i recall reading on some site awhile ago about these plugs screwing up someones engine, but it didn't give any details. i'm not sure how a plug could screw up an engine

(2) how much of a pain is it to replace the front control arm bushings? do i need a hydraulic press? i went ahead an bought the energy suspension bushings (complete front set) and i think i can handle the sway bar & end-link bushing replacement, but wasn't sure about the control arm bushings. i figure if i've got it all apart, i might as well do them all if possible.

(3) is changing the fuel filter a no-brainer? all the sites that explain it don't make it seem very hard, but looking at the fuel filter location, it looks like a major pain in the a$$. maybe i just don't have the right tools?

oh btw, this is for a 97 Maxima SE. current mileage is about 108k. sorry, i would have searched, but that feature is disabled here, and it doesn't seem to want to let me login to the test site.

thanks in advance for any help.

R1 POWR
Old 08-18-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: newbie questions

Originally posted by R1 POWR
hello all,

(1) i will be changing spark plugs soon, and wanted to get some opinions on the Bosch Platinum +4 plugs. i recall reading on some site awhile ago about these plugs screwing up someones engine, but it didn't give any details. i'm not sure how a plug could screw up an engine

use the ngk platinums. it just runs better.

(2) how much of a pain is it to replace the front control arm bushings? do i need a hydraulic press? i went ahead an bought the energy suspension bushings (complete front set) and i think i can handle the sway bar & end-link bushing replacement, but wasn't sure about the control arm bushings. i figure if i've got it all apart, i might as well do them all if possible.

i had shop do it.

(3) is changing the fuel filter a no-brainer? all the sites that explain it don't make it seem very hard, but looking at the fuel filter location, it looks like a major pain in the a$$. maybe i just don't have the right tools?

changing the fuel filter is a no brainer but a pita. it's pretty tight to get into there. you will come out of it with bloody knuckles and a sense of pride.

oh btw, this is for a 97 Maxima SE. current mileage is about 108k. sorry, i would have searched, but that feature is disabled here, and it doesn't seem to want to let me login to the test site.

R1 POWR
Old 08-18-2003, 12:46 PM

stick with NGK platinum or copper. I belive its because bosch has a different spark pattern that doesnt go well with the VQ engine or something similar.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

ans to #3:
Directions:
1. If you have stock intake, or HAI, remove it.
2. Get a plastic bag, and fill with 1/2 a roll of paper towels. Place bagin engine bay, so it's right under the filter.
3. Remove top hose, and place filter into bag, and point hose into bag.
4. With filter in the bag, remove bottom hose, and leave bottom hose in the bag.
5. Put new filter in, attach bottom hose, then, top hose, tighten everything.
6. Remove bag from engine bay, put off to the side.
7. Replace intake(if removed)

Disposal:
1. Take bag (filled with filter and gas-soaked towels), and light on fire.
2. Throw onto d1ckhead neighbor's lawn.
3. Watch grass and leaves catch fire.
4. Watch fire grow.
5. Watch house catch on fire.
6. Watch d1ckhead neighbor return home to find house on fire. Laugh.
7. Watch d1ckhead neighbor try to rescue photos and precious family heirlooms from home.
8. Watch him/her fail.
9. Laugh.
10. Go inside, make some nachos, and watch TV.

from this thread aboutchanging your fuel filter
Old 08-18-2003, 08:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hello all,

go with ngk plats or v-power coppers.

i duno bout the bushing questions.

before you remove the filter go to your fuse box below the steering while and pull fuse for the fuel pump. then try and start the car a few times to use up most of the fuel adn release pressure. this way u dont have a huge mess when u pull off the hoses. get a 3z filter too, last twice as long. if your buying aftermarket ones they cost like a dollar or 2 more only. it will fit in without any modifications.

R1 POWR
Old 08-18-2003, 10:49 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
stick with NGK platinum or copper. I belive its because bosch has a different spark pattern that doesnt go well with the VQ engine or something similar.

to be exact:
http://drewm.dyndns.org/~drew/maxfaq...ximaSparkPlugs
Old 08-18-2003, 11:10 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

What fearthegecko wrote was funny stuff, but seriously remove the fuel pump fuse then crank over the car for a few seconds or run it until it stalls. This is to releave the fuel pressure. Hmmm conrtol arm bushing.... you probably bought a swaybar bushing kit (but if you really bought the C A bushing it will most likely be a pain to do yourself).
Old 08-20-2003, 08:18 AM

thanks everyone for the responses.

yeah, i read all of the how-to's for the fuel filter, but none really mention what a pita it is to get to the filter. just looking at it, that's what i was thinking, too, but no one mentions it. thanks maximaseefu, the bloody knuckles info is what i was looking for.

good thing i didin't open those bosch plat +4's yet. i guess i'll return those and get the ngk's. i'm still debating on plats or copper. there is a significant price difference.

thanks drewm for the link. that's good info. i'll add it to my favorites

i'm still looking for info on the control arm bushings. do i need a press to install/remove the bushings? i can manage taking off the control arms, but if i need a press, then i'll leave it alone (since i don't have one). i'll just do the sway bar & end-links.

thanks again everyone
Old 08-20-2003, 09:56 AM

The debate between NGK plats and copper isn't too hard. Coppers are so much cheaper, but only last about 30,000 miles. Platinums are more expensive, but last twice as long (60,000). If you don't mind changing plugs (it's not hard), I'd go with the coppers. Saves you money for some other mods. There have been some members who have posted that the coppers provide a better spark, too. I'll be putting coppers in mine next.
If you like spending money and don't like changing plugs, go with the platinums.

Dave
Old 08-20-2003, 10:16 AM

1- stick to NGK plugs

3- Fuel filter is not very hard to change...it's easier to get to it from underneath, depending if you have a hydraulic jack and jack stands.