4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Best Way?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 10:37 PM
DoGGy

Best Way?

what is the best best way to find out your gas mileage.
I think letting the car go ALMOST out of fuel, filling up the tank half way, and recording the mileage is the best way to find out the gas mileage. but still, there is some gas left in tank and blah blah blah. how do u guys calculate ur gas mileage for street driving?

Old 08-19-2003, 10:41 PM

the best way to calculate is by resetting your trip meter and then refilling your tank when only 1/4 is left(should be about 13 gallons) drive around normally until your back at 1/4, refill your tank again.....drive until its at 1/4 again. now you just take the total mileage and divide it by the amount of gallons you put in(the total of both trips)........it comes out more accurate this way as opposed to just checking with one fill up
Old 08-19-2003, 10:46 PM

yeah, i fill up and clear the TRIP ODOMETER, not tachometer, and just go to the E mark, but I hear some people can get up to 40 miles or so after the low fuel light comes on. I usually get 390-410, but a couple of times up in the 420's. I just divide that by the tank size 17.5 gal and i get around 23 point something. that can't be too accurate now that i think of it. anyone else got any suggestions?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 PM
DoGGy

ok how to i turn on and off my trip odometer? sorry im a new max owner lol....

and isnt the tanks capacity 18.6 gallons?

Old 08-19-2003, 11:06 PM
DoGGy

18.5 i mean

Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 PM

near your speedometer and tach there is a little black button that looks lik it could be a small ****. push it and you will reset the trip odometer. You seriously didn't know this, if not, i guess feel free to ask and i bet you'll get some help and some laughs...
Old 08-20-2003, 03:46 AM

How about just filling up to when the pump shuts itself off, reset the trip odometer, and drive. Next time you need gas, fill up (till pump shuts off), and divide miles on trip odometer by gallons just put in. Repeat every time to keep a record of gas mileage. And if like me, cry when it consistantly comes out to 20.4 mpg when others are getting 28 mpg or so (my driving is stop and go city type)
To make it as accurate as possible, use the same station, same pump. And stop refueling at the same point (when pump stops the first time).

BTW, I reset my tach everytime I get gas. It does it automatically everytime I shut off the car. Gotta love Nissans.

Dave
Old 08-20-2003, 04:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Don't bother with the imprecise method (calculating based on tank capacity).

Do this:

Fill up (don't top it off)
Clear the trip meter
drive around until you need gas
Fill up at the same pump as before (don't top it off)

Now you have 2 numbers you can use to accurately determine your mileage: The amount of gas consumed (G), and the number of miles traveled (M).

miles per gallon = M / G

PS - Use a better subject next time..."Best way to determine gas mileage?" would have been good.