4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Thinking about Dual Exhaust !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 01:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thinking about Dual Exhaust !!

Im gonna take a ride down to a performance exhaust shop that my buddy recommended very good work...
I am just wondering what mufflers to do ??? Maybe Flowmasters ?? where do I get something like that ?? I know a few guys have done this, how does it sound ??

Im sick of just a single cat back...Maybe ill split it right at the Y-pipe and make it interesting...

My only consern is the black box on the other side right by the rear bumper

-matt
Old 08-24-2003, 03:51 PM
All YOUR grammer belong to me

Run a single flowmasters 80 series transverse muffler and dual pipes.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:02 PM

Dont do it...
Old 08-24-2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
I love fart cans and single catbacks with big "straight thru" mufflers.
Old 08-24-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Craig Mack
Run a single flowmasters 80 series transverse muffler and dual pipes.
confused

-matt
Old 08-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Mad topend...

Flowmaster on a Maxima =
Old 08-24-2003, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX

Flowmaster on a Maxima =
Yeah...who wants an aggressive, hollow sound, with more torque and a much more aggressive look when you have those fart-backs that give dUh mAAd tOp EnD PoWaH yO!!!!!!!!!!11111111
Old 08-24-2003, 04:58 PM

I dont think you can split it at the y pipe, what will you do about the o2 sensors.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by matty

:confusd: confused :conused:

-matt
Matt,

I'm sure you know what kinda setup i'm running, since i've been blabbing about it since 2001. But the muffler I am running is a Flowmaster "V-Force", which is just another name for an 80 series transversal muffler. I am running the muffler in the normal spot, but since it's soo thin (4" thick) it can be tucked up there and won't be seen from almost any angle. I also painted the face of the muffler black so it is completely invisible even on the highest sloped hill. I am running a 2.25" pipe around the tire well and 4" chrome tips. For the other bumper cutout, just make templates and many measurements and dremel away, you'll be fine. I have gotten countless compliments on how it looks and sounds, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here are some pics of my setup, hopefully these will give you a better idea of what to do:

Here's a much better, hi-res pic of that last picture: http://members9.clubphoto.com/_cgi-b...08-ff70&trans=

My entire exhaust setup consists of a 2.5" WSP Y, Stock cat (half blown), 2.5" crush bent b-pipe w/22" glasspack resonator, flowmaster 80 series muffler, 2.25" pipe around well, 4" x 8" resonated chrome tips.

Good luck with your project, and it would be totally worth your while.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:10 PM

so you have two pipes running, one with a muffler and tip, and one with just a tip ??

You dont recommend two mufflers ??

-matt
Old 08-24-2003, 05:21 PM

that looks real nice. How much did the entire setup cost
Old 08-24-2003, 05:31 PM

so you have two pipes running, one with a muffler and tip, and one with just a tip ??

You dont recommend two mufflers ??

-matt
Yea, basically. Theres a 2.25" pipe coming out the muffler thats about 6" long, and the 4" tip welded to that. Then the pipe running around the muffler, with the pipe held up by a bracket mustang style.

The entire catback can be made and installed for under $400. Tips can be found at any local autozone/discount auto parts/ect.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:48 PM

so you dont have it split at the cat ? you have two pipes out the back of the muffler, one going to the engine, and one going across the car to the other side ??

can't you run two pipes spliting at the cat ?

-matt
Old 08-24-2003, 05:55 PM

so you dont have it split at the cat ? you have two pipes out the back of the muffler, one going to the engine, and one going across the car to the other side ??

can't you run two pipes spliting at the cat ?

-matt
I have a single catback, and just the pipe running around the muffler. Theres no room to split it at the cat, theres only room under the car under that path for one pipe.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:17 PM

Hey Craig, you can take off those tie down loops, ya know. That should have been done by the dealer about eight years ago.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:26 PM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

Hey Craig, you can take off those tie down loops, ya know. That should have been done by the dealer about eight years ago.
ya, but it doesn't get in the way of anything...
Old 08-24-2003, 09:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Duals look good on the max, trust me...you need to get them, it isnt hard to do...

finished product...

Eric
Old 08-24-2003, 11:07 PM

ERIC

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp
Duals look good on the max, trust me...you need to get them, it isnt hard to do...

finished product...

Eric
It looks like on your car you have two mufflers ?? I like that better...did you do it the same way as craig mack ??

-matt
Old 08-25-2003, 04:07 PM

bump
Old 08-25-2003, 04:25 PM

He has 1 muffler by the way. He's not even running it around the well, he's just running it straight across. Pretty gay huh?
Old 08-25-2003, 04:27 PM

Erica, you know i love you *****.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:55 PM

Re: ERIC

It looks like on your car you have two mufflers ?? I like that better...did you do it the same way as craig mack ??

-matt
No, im only running one muffler, its almost impossible to fit two, and its pointless to run two...

Craigy, its ok to hate on the future supercharged beater, i mean its ok for you to be angry. Really, i forgive you

all in fun my nig...we have to be the 2 biggest **** talking post wh0res on the .org...

Eric
Old 08-25-2003, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: ERIC

No, im only running one muffler, its almost impossible to fit two, and its pointless to run two...

Craigy, its ok to hate on the future supercharged beater, i mean its ok for you to be angry. Really, i forgive you

all in fun my nig...we have to be the 2 biggest **** talking post wh0res on the .org...

Eric
As soon as I get my f#cking fuel issue fixed (that's right, car STILL stutters like a b!tch) I'm throwin' my lag-charged beast on the dyno. You gotta be there man, I'm having a few buddies come for this memerable event.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: ERIC

As soon as I get my f#cking fuel issue fixed (that's right, car STILL stutters like a b!tch) I'm throwin' my lag-charged beast on the dyno. You gotta be there man, I'm having a few buddies come for this memerable event.
Yes, work-permitting (we need to work out the date) i will be there fo sho! I should just dyno my POS for the hell of it...

Eric
Old 08-25-2003, 06:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ERIC

Yes, work-permitting (we need to work out the date) i will be there fo sho! I should just dyno my POS for the hell of it...

Eric
You definatally should. I'm gonna do the air/fuel tuning so my dyno is gonna be HELLA expensive and long, but it's common to pick up ~30whp/30wtq just by tuning the air/fuel ratio to optimum.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:26 PM

if you split it from the y-pipe.. you will lose some hp, especially on the low end.

if you do two mufflers you dont HAVE to move the evap box, as long as your muffler doesnt rest against it, its fine.. there is room in there. you can hang the muffler just low enough to clear the spare tire well on the driver's side and have it still look good, it can be done easily.

if you split it at the cat be ready for hell when it comes to routing the pipes, it's a pain... doing a y setup at the axle is easiest, or use one of the split muffler jobs like craig.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:33 PM

yea...that is probably what I will do with the split muffler type

did you check on my inserts ??

-matt
Old 08-25-2003, 10:18 PM

Matt,

I'm sure you know what kinda setup i'm running, since i've been blabbing about it since 2001. But the muffler I am running is a Flowmaster "V-Force", which is just another name for an 80 series transversal muffler. I am running the muffler in the normal spot, but since it's soo thin (4" thick) it can be tucked up there and won't be seen from almost any angle. I also painted the face of the muffler black so it is completely invisible even on the highest sloped hill. I am running a 2.25" pipe around the tire well and 4" chrome tips. For the other bumper cutout, just make templates and many measurements and dremel away, you'll be fine. I have gotten countless compliments on how it looks and sounds, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Here are some pics of my setup, hopefully these will give you a better idea of what to do:

Here's a much better, hi-res pic of that last picture: http://members9.clubphoto.com/_cgi-b...f70&trans=

My entire exhaust setup consists of a 2.5" WSP Y, Stock cat (half blown), 2.5" crush bent b-pipe w/22" glasspack resonator, flowmaster 80 series muffler, 2.25" pipe around well, 4" x 8" resonated chrome tips.

Good luck with your project, and it would be totally worth your while.
Craig, does your exhaust drone at highway speeds (around 3K to 4K RPM?). Also you gotta post a sound clip dude. I've been wanting to do a dual setup for a while now but I dont kno how it will sound like. Basically I want a deep tone exhaust (think M5) that goes quiet at highway speeds until you go WOT. BTW Ur ryde look sweet!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by nizmo

Craig, does your exhaust drone at highway speeds (around 3K to 4K RPM?). Also you gotta post a sound clip dude. I've been wanting to do a dual setup for a while now but I dont kno how it will sound like. Basically I want a deep tone exhaust (think M5) that goes quiet at highway speeds until you go WOT. BTW Ur ryde look sweet!

No, his car is not drone free, or even quiet at all, and dont let him tell you otherwise. His car drones like a **** during cruising (read: 2-3K). I know, ive ridden in it...

It does sound good however, though he **cough cough** wishes it sounded like a mustang or any good V8. Its got a nice rumble to it, but thats probably because his engine is missing...

Eric
Old 09-03-2003, 01:12 PM

Hey Guys... so you could flip the muffler so instead of two outlets facing the back you could have it facing front of the car? it wouldn't effect anything? and how much did it all cost? i was just at a muffler shop and guy were telling me if i put dual tips from one muffler it will effect my performance in bad ways. is that true?

thanks,
Tae
Old 09-03-2003, 01:14 PM

and can i please have more upclose pics of your set up? please send it to ksolidazn@hanmail.net
both Craigs and Eriks....

thanks,
Tae
Old 09-03-2003, 01:15 PM

oh and did you guys put resonated tips? or just regular tips? got a part number,name, model number for them? i really appreciate it.

thanks,
Tae
Old 09-03-2003, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by nizmo
Craig, does your exhaust drone at highway speeds (around 3K to 4K RPM?).
Yes it does. Is it bad? In my opinion, not at all. To a person used to a stock or really quiet Maxima like Erics, (99maxima5sp) it will be loud and droney. But even with music softly on I can't hear it, and conversations are easily had. Other cars can't hear my exhaust cruising unless they are right up beside me with their windows down, with dead silence. Now, when I gun it, that's another story.

Also you gotta post a sound clip dude.
There is a meet Sept. 20th that I will get a sound clip made, maybe sooner if ErIcA and others wanna meet up.

I've been wanting to do a dual setup for a while now but I dont kno how it will sound like. Basically I want a deep tone exhaust (think M5) that goes quiet at highway speeds until you go WOT.
Well, getting a dirty, rawish burble at idle/low rpms is almost impossible if you want a catback that quiets as the RPMs rise. My setup is specifically setup for sound, it is a lot deeper/rawer than 99maxima5sp's setup, but then again he has a stock b-pipe and a vaginamax...i mean dynomax turbo super quiet muffler. But back on subject....if you want a system that gets quieter and quieter as rpms rise, I don't know what to tell you. My system gets quiet from 2300-2700rpm and from 4000+, but it has a drone at 70mph (2800-3800rpm)

The only reason I went dual is becuase im a musclecar freak and wanted to imulate the sound/look as best I could.
Old 09-03-2003, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by taeMAX97
oh and did you guys put resonated tips? or just regular tips? got a part number,name, model number for them? i really appreciate it.

thanks,
Tae
Just go to your local discount auto parts/autozone/ect. thats where I got mine. Both me and Eric have resonated tips. They didn't change much, if I could do it again I would have went with non-resonated, becuase these tamed my system down a little. Mine are 4", which seems ricey, but fits perfectly. Be sure to paint the inside of the tips black or else they will look gay.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:41 PM

so you guys got a muffler that has one inlet on one side and two outlets on the other? im confused. hey Eric please go to their site and tell me excatly which muffler your using.

thanks,
Tae

p.s. if you guys have more upcloser pics on the muffler from bottom view. please email it to me.
Old 09-03-2003, 06:26 PM

The one im using isnt listed on that site, just go to your local muffer shop, they will more than likely have it in stock...

Eric
Old 09-03-2003, 06:38 PM

dont go with the super turbo muffler, it's for ladies or very, very old men like Mr. Toros.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Craig Mack
dont go with the super turbo muffler, it's for ladies or very, very old men like Mr. Toros.

Remember craigy, you heard that setup with 510 exhuast leaks, and a stock B-pipe, wait till you hear it again...Oh wait, you will, as im passiing you on the highway

Me--> <----craigy

Eric
Old 09-03-2003, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 99Maxima5sp

finished product...

Eric

How did you get the groove in the bumper for the second
pipe on the rear drivers side did you do it yourself or
order up another bumper. I currently use a flowmaster
but I don't have the dual pipes thinking of switching over
if I could solve that problem.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:34 AM

Quick Reply: Thinking about Dual Exhaust !!