4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Newbie with questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 03:34 PM
mad4mymax

hate to say it,but i'm kinda ignorant when it comes to modifying my max,(95 gle auto),what kind of modifications would you guys recommend,keep in mind that my budget isn't very big and i'm planning on installing the parts myself so they will have to be pretty simple to install.what exactely are y-pipes and what kind of hp gain can i expect,whats the best y-pipe to buy and can i install them myself,any info would be greately appreciated,sorry about all the ?'s,but i'm just anxious to start tricking out my ride.

Old 02-11-2001, 04:25 PM
MaxSterling

Check out the FAQ (frequently asked questions), there is a link on top of every page in the forum. It is full of useful
information. The other thing you can do is use the SEARCH feature if there is a particular question you would like answered. Go ahead and use the SEARCH feature......type in Y PIPE......read all of the threads. Before you know it people will be asking YOU questions. To answer your question about Y Pipes...... a Y pipe is the pipe that combines both sides of the engines exhaust into one pipe. The stock Maxima pipe is very restrictive in flow and has power robbing "pre cats" as an integral part of the pipe. By swapping the pipe for an aftermarket unit you should free up about 12 to 15 horsepower. Add a CAI (cold air intake) and free up another 5-7 horsepower. The Y Pipe and CAI can be installed by a person with average mechanical knowledge and basic tools.
As for pricing i would say anywhere from $300 to $450 for the Y pipe depending on which one you get (ie. Stillen, Cattman, Warp Speed). As for "which one is best", well that depends on who you ask. They all offer similar gains in power and the pricing doesnt vary to much. Any of the above would be a good choice. Like I said, do a search and see what people say about the ones they purchased and installed.

Old 02-12-2001, 06:03 AM

Perfectly put. Nice job.