4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 03:37 PM

Spoiler

I have a 96 GLE and i just picked up a stock spoiler @ the junk yark for real cheap but need some help slapping this puppy on..

it has the 4 screws and the 4 clips but i am not 100% how to install this thing.. where do i drill the holes in my trunk? is the cable already there for the spoilers brake light?

also i just finished painting it with a can of spray paint i picked up on paintspray.com or somthing like that i have not done the clear coat yet but i am wondering what do the pros do to get it so smooth... should i lightly sand the paint before the clear coat?

Thanx for the help guys i think the spoiler make the max look more sporty.
Old 09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
ChristheNite

The way the "pros" get it to look so smooth is by using professional equipment. With my limited painting experience I have never been able to get anything to look remotely good with a spraycan. Save yourself the aggrivation and get it painted at a reputable body shop. I'd say it should be about 125-200 dollars when its all done and it would look great and they might be able to do the install for not that much more.

If you insist on painting it yourself you will need to put 8-10 coats on and continually wetsand the paint before applying 3-5 coats of clearcoat. Even then I dont think that it will look all that great because its very hard to lay an even coat of paint on something with a spray bottle. But it's your car...

Old 09-06-2003, 06:47 PM

As far as installing the spoiler, it's relatively simple. I installed one when I used to have my '95. First, make a "template" for the bolts on the pedastools of the spoiler. It's very important to compensate the "center-to-center" points. You don't want to mess up drilling more holes than you need. It's a one time shot dropping the spoiler on. Anyway, the bolts should be on the center pedastools, right? The outer ones are held on by 3M adhesive tape. Center the spoiler on the trunk and lightly mark the placement. Also, put a marking where the hole is going to be drilled for the brake light harness plug to pass thru. Next, take your template and mark the holes where you're going to drill. Remove the panel covering underneath trunk lid. Close trunk, and drill away. The metal is thin, so there won't be much pressure in drilling. It's best to have a vacuum (wet-dry vac) to pick up all the metal shavings. I wasn't sure where the spoiler plug harness was in the trunk, so I just tapped the plug to the 3rd brake light. There was no need for me to silicone where I had drilled, because if you line up the holes correctly, once the bolts are tightened, the spoiler meets the trunk flush with the gasket on the pedastools, with no moisture getting underneath from car washes, rain, etc.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:03 AM

thanx for the info guys...

ya i did the paint job and it looks good but not great... i think i am going to get it done @ a shop...

perfect install instruction thanx again...