4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Which inkate is the best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Which inkate is the best?

I have a 97 max and I want to put an intake in my car.
So what I want to know is which intake will give me the most
horse power?

Mike
97 Max GLE

Old 09-14-2003, 09:09 PM
ivelweyz

Your stock one with holes cut in the air box towards the front driver side of the fender...

Old 09-14-2003, 09:55 PM

well, it all depends on where you want the extra power. You can go with a CAI (cold air intake) for more low end power, which is better for driving in the city where you can't really rev your engine. For better top end, you can get a K&N cone (JWT, Stillen) with a velocity stack. This will give you better high end power, such as dropping it into third on the freeway and revving the heck out of it. There are some "hybrid" intakes such as the frankencar intake, which I really don't know that much about. From what I have heard about it, it is supposed to give you a compromise between the other two. Better on both ends. If you are looking to beat Porsches with just an intake, you're still out of luck. Save up and get a y-pipe. Then get an intake. The oem y-pipe is more restrictive than the stock airbox anyway, so adding an intake will not really do that much because the air going in has to get out. As for me, I went with a JWT popcharger cone intake, and love it. Nice growl at WOT, but quiet while cruising. Y-pipe is definately more noticable with power though.