4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

should i.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2001, 10:12 PM

should i get clear corners and cut my springs just enough to get rid of the wheel gap(temporary till get money) or hollow out my cat. and still cut the springs? or not cut the springs at all.do u guys have clear corners for a 96 max willing to sell too?thanks
Old 02-13-2001, 10:20 PM

Clear corners are only like $40, and cutting the springs isn't really worth it if you're saving for lowering springs anyways. Put it this way, it's going to take you 4 hours to remove and reinstall the suspension, then it takes time to cut the springs. Then in a couple of months you're going to have to do it all over again when you get lowering springs. Hollowing out the cat isn't going to do a whole lot either, you might get 2 hp. Some of my friends have hollowed out cats on their cars, and it really didn't do a whole lot power wise. If money is an issue, just save up until you can buy the parts and enjoy the Maxima while it's stock, it's a nice car as is. You're not going to notice any difference in your car with these mods and it may ruin your car's character. You'd end up with a low car that rode like crap and couldn't pass emissions. It's a maxima, not an '79 Pinto. If you're going to mod it, put some real effort into it, don't half *** it like too many guys do.
Old 02-13-2001, 10:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

I got rid of my cat completely and put a glass pack to fit the portion where the original cat used to be and that is the most noticable of all my mods except for the y-pipe.... Kewl sound too.... It may be that my stock cat was clogged cuz I noticed a pretty big gain.....Don't cut the springs cuz like Shadow sed you have to discect your suspension anyways.......don't melt your springs either cuz that is just not a good thing to do.....A cheap and noticeable mod would be to purchase some vacuum hose and construct the 'ram air' thing that everyone around here is talkng about........that would not cost over 10 dollars........just my $0.02 on your questions......
Old 02-13-2001, 10:55 PM

ram air??

nmexmax, whatis the ram "air thing?" explain to me.thanks
Old 02-13-2001, 11:18 PM
Moe

I think he's talking about the ooglie cai, I'm not sure how it works, but look in the posts a couple days earlier for OSCAI. Or go here:
https://maxima.org/forums/showthread...threadid=22630
Old 02-14-2001, 05:43 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

On modern cars, the cat doesnt really provide a significant amount of restriction in the exhaust system. I dont think its worth it. New, modern cars are all essentially zero polluters, especially compared to older cars. Last I read over 80% of the pollution came from 10% of the cars on the road. That would be the old junkers and people who took off their cats. As long as this is the case, lawmakers will continue to make new car requirements cleaner and cleaner, making the cars harder to modify and more expensive. So dont become one of those evil 10% that is ruining the fun for the rest of us.

That's my rant...I'm done now.