4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

can someone give good instructions to successfully open up altezzas w/o breaking them

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Custom User Title...

can someone give good instructions to successfully open up altezzas w/o breaking them

yes i have searched but there aren't too many good things out there. most posts are either about the old way of painting altezzas or how people like ravq have broken them. i know members like hacim105 have done it successfully.

so, would you guys recomend the same 7 minutes @200 degrees as u'd do stock ones?

currently i have painted red stock tails on my 95 but have my old altezzas sitting around and have the paint. so, i'd like to do this soon.

this thread isn't here for people to say how much they hate them! i don't care and am not looking for your opinion on them so please, if you don't have anything nice to say, leave! i also am not a fan really of regular altezzas anymore or even gen 2's since i've been seeing them a lot lately, but think body colored ones look decent. that is that for now. thanx
Old 09-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Just the tip.

You could leave them on for as long as 15-20 minutes. That would help to make the glue softer. It will also make the plastic softer (the outer housing, not the clear lense) because the altezza's have these little tabs and it will keep the plastic from cracking as you pry off the clear lense. It's pretty easy to do. Just remember, BE CAREFUL on the corner lights.

Another thing, if you are going to paint them on the inside, the red lenses pop off really easy. Removing them before painting ensures that you paint the whole chrome surface. You more than likely will have to glue them back on. Super glue works great. I painted mine using these methods and they look great.

One last thing, you may need some RTV silicone ($2.59 autozone) to seal the outer edges when you're done to prevent water from seeping in.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JNCoRacer
You could leave them on for as long as 15-20 minutes. That would help to make the glue softer. It will also make the plastic softer (the outer housing, not the clear lense) because the altezza's have these little tabs and it will keep the plastic from cracking as you pry off the clear lense. It's pretty easy to do. Just remember, BE CAREFUL on the corner lights.

Another thing, if you are going to paint them on the inside, the red lenses pop off really easy. Removing them before painting ensures that you paint the whole chrome surface. You more than likely will have to glue them back on. Super glue works great. I painted mine using these methods and they look great.

One last thing, you may need some RTV silicone ($2.59 autozone) to seal the outer edges when you're done to prevent water from seeping in.
yeah what Jarrod said
Old 09-23-2003, 07:30 PM
Custom User Title...

i didn't realize you could leave them in that long. other people used to say that would melt or warp them...thanx for the advice though
Old 09-23-2003, 07:51 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by Jepht20
i didn't realize you could leave them in that long. other people used to say that would melt or warp them...thanx for the advice though
Nah, you'll be aight. I accidentally left mine in for like 30 minutes. (got distracted)
Old 09-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Custom User Title...

did you do any special prep work aside from removing the screws? also, when you take them out, did you wear gloves or how did you handle them? also, how long did you wait for them to cool down? sorry i'm asking so many questions, just don't want to ruin them and waste my time. thanx!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Just the tip.

did you do any special prep work aside from removing the screws? also, when you take them out, did you wear gloves or how did you handle them? also, how long did you wait for them to cool down? sorry i'm asking so many questions, just don't want to ruin them and waste my time. thanx!
The only real prep-work I did was I made sure the surface I was painting was clean. Use rubbing alcohol and a lint-free rag to remove dirt, dust, and any grease...this includes oils from your skin from touching them. (Those Armorall Glass Wipes work great also) It also helps to prime the surface to be painted. Since your car is white(?) I would suggest white or gray primer. And the only time I wore gloves is when they first came out of the oven...that just kept the adhesive from sticking to my hands. Other than that, it's pretty simple to do. They're pretty hard to break unless you haven't heated them up long enough. If you get any of that adhesive crap on the part that you're painting use Goo Gone to remove it. Just make sure to clean it off with the rubbing alcohol or glass wipes. Good luck. Look forward to seeing the pics soon.

If you run into any more problems email your number to me and I can help you out over the phone. jarrodcannon@hotmail.com
Old 09-24-2003, 04:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yes i have searched but there aren't too many good things out there. most posts are either about the old way of painting altezzas or how people like ravq have broken them. i know members like hacim105 have done it successfully.

so, would you guys recomend the same 7 minutes @200 degrees as u'd do stock ones?

currently i have painted red stock tails on my 95 but have my old altezzas sitting around and have the paint. so, i'd like to do this soon.

this thread isn't here for people to say how much they hate them! i don't care and am not looking for your opinion on them so please, if you don't have anything nice to say, leave! i also am not a fan really of regular altezzas anymore or even gen 2's since i've been seeing them a lot lately, but think body colored ones look decent. that is that for now. thanx

JNCoracer did a pretty good job describing the process. Also remember that they do break easy so don't force them. Getting them open will usually take some time. Don't just pry in one spot, pick a big area and move back and forth through the area. Having a heat gun is very handy also. But if you use one be very careful as it is easy to warp the plastic.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:35 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by hacim105
JNCoracer did a pretty good job describing the process. Also remember that they do break easy so don't force them. Getting them open will usually take some time. Don't just pry in one spot, pick a big area and move back and forth through the area. Having a heat gun is very handy also. But if you use one be very careful as it is easy to warp the plastic.
Good call.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:39 PM
Custom User Title...

chipped the outside one in the corner, only a little but enough that it'll get me mad. got one inside open easily but the outside had the best of me and made me quit for the moment.

i wonder how just the insides painted would look. like that lexus, i forget what it's called. maybe this teamed with the DTM in the reverse section...
Old 09-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Just the tip.

chipped the outside one in the corner, only a little but enough that it'll get me mad. got one inside open easily but the outside had the best of me and made me quit for the moment.

i wonder how just the insides painted would look. like that lexus, i forget what it's called. maybe this teamed with the DTM in the reverse section...
Check my cardomain page for some pics This is what it looks like painted on the insideand DTM'd. Man I wish I was there to help you out bro. This would look bad-a$$ on a white 4th gen.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:05 AM

Go to my homepage, I have the inside altezzas painted on a white maxima.
Old 09-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey people!! That's the directions I have been looking for long time already, painting the inside of the altezzas. So now I can make preparations... will keep you posted how it goes, but it looks like I will do it in 2 weeks...not earleir

Old 09-25-2003, 12:13 PM
Just the tip.

Oh man, I just looked at your homepage. Nice ride. Those altezza's look sweet. The only thing I would change would be the silver trim around the lights. They don't look too bad on the white but they stuck out like a sore thumb on my black ones.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:16 PM

I suggest painting them on the outside, much easier and looks better imho
Old 09-25-2003, 12:25 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by ILoveMyMax
I suggest painting them on the outside, much easier and looks better imho
Interesting opinion. Have you seen the newer Impala's?
Old 09-25-2003, 02:08 PM

I think they look decent. just my 2 cents, if u paint altezzas on the inside, you 1 get the plastic lines on the surface and 2 get the trim of the lights.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by ILoveMyMax
I think they look decent. just my 2 cents, if u paint altezzas on the inside, you 1 get the plastic lines on the surface and 2 get the trim of the lights.
That's true. I wish there was a way to remove the lines on the inside of the lenses. Or they should have manufactured them without the lines. Whether they are painted (inside or out) or left as is, they would look 10 times better without the lines.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:14 PM
Blazin......

Interesting opinion. Have you seen the skyline tails ?, Oh wait impalas copied that idea
Old 09-25-2003, 03:27 PM
Just the tip.

Originally Posted by bobjohnson
Interesting opinion. Have you seen the skyline tails ?, Oh wait impalas copied that idea
Hahaha...yeah they did. Couldn't Nissan sue for copyright infringement or something.
On another note...You could say,"Why copy a Skyline?" On the other hand you could also say, "Why copy an Altezza?" Damn 95-96 tails!
Oh well, work with what you got, right.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Custom User Title...

got the inside ones both open easy enough:

now if i can get up the strength to try again with outsides. had tried again but it got frustrating cuz i wasn't getting anywhere. i don't know why it isn't so easy for me.
Old 09-25-2003, 05:47 PM

got the inside ones both open easy enough:

now if i can get up the strength to try again with outsides. had tried again but it got frustrating cuz i wasn't getting anywhere. i don't know why it isn't so easy for me.

The outsides are the most difficult part, really be carefull they can break easily
Old 09-26-2003, 01:52 PM
Just the tip.

OK Jepht20, how about an update? Got any more pics?
Old 10-23-2003, 01:36 AM

Yeah Jepht20, where are you in the procress???
Old 10-23-2003, 07:23 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by Brockster
Yeah Jepht20, where are you in the procress???

funny you should ask...i semi gave up on the project. the outer ones were just tough to do, so i now deciding whether or not to continue to keep as an option, or what. i have other ideas in mind that we'll see later if they come out.

why have i put it aside you ask, aside from it being a pain, well... i got my hands on a lil something better. they needed a touch-up but i think i did a pretty good job.

what do you think, better choice? all for only $120
Old 10-23-2003, 10:33 AM

funny you should ask...i semi gave up on the project. the outer ones were just tough to do, so i now deciding whether or not to continue to keep as an option, or what. i have other ideas in mind that we'll see later if they come out.

why have i put it aside you ask, aside from it being a pain, well... i got my hands on a lil something better. they needed a touch-up but i think i did a pretty good job.

what do you think, better choice? all for only $120
Sweet mother of.........$120 I'd change up too.
Old 10-23-2003, 12:35 PM

Want to sell me you inner tails????

JP