4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Gas and Brake Pedal Vibration at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 08:56 AM

Gas and Brake Pedal Vibration at Idle

Well I did a couple searches and found a couple answers, but nothing that really descibes my problem.

Like my title says, I have a slight vibration in the pedals. Only really when sitting at an idle. If I'm moving along doesn't really matter how fast, but moving I don't feel anything the car is smooth, It does seem to lag every now and then when accelerating hard but for the most part it's all good. But when I'm sitting at a stop light or just sitting in my car while it's running if I put my foot down on the brake or just rest it ever-so-slightly on the gas I can feel this vibration. It's alot more noticeable when the car is fairly cold. It is still there when it warms up, but it's most drastic when the car is just warming up.

The sound can be heard too, although I don't know how to descibe it. At first i thought it was just my cone filter on my HAI vibrating against the wheel well, but I fixed that and the filter is fixed in place. I really have no idea what it could be...Any ideas would be great.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by tszymans
Well I did a couple searches and found a couple answers, but nothing that really descibes my problem.

Like my title says, I have a slight vibration in the pedals. Only really when sitting at an idle. If I'm moving along doesn't really matter how fast, but moving I don't feel anything the car is smooth, It does seem to lag every now and then when accelerating hard but for the most part it's all good. But when I'm sitting at a stop light or just sitting in my car while it's running if I put my foot down on the brake or just rest it ever-so-slightly on the gas I can feel this vibration. It's alot more noticeable when the car is fairly cold. It is still there when it warms up, but it's most drastic when the car is just warming up.

The sound can be heard too, although I don't know how to descibe it. At first i thought it was just my cone filter on my HAI vibrating against the wheel well, but I fixed that and the filter is fixed in place. I really have no idea what it could be...Any ideas would be great.
I too experiance the same thing on my 96 SE, When i first start the car in the morning and and a stop light i get and hear a slight vibration on the break pedal,VERY ANNOYING, i dont know what it is either.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:07 AM

Any one else? Same problem? Possible (hopfully) someone who had the same problem but fixed it....how did you fix??? Thanks
Old 09-26-2003, 12:07 PM

Yup, same here! Anyone...?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 AM

bummmmmmppppppppp
Old 10-02-2003, 10:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone checked out TSB 91-096? I don't have access to the full description, but I'm wondering if this is the same problem I have...
Old 10-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had the same problem with my 95 SE automatic. The vibrating got worse over a couple weeks until I couldn't stand to drive it any more. I narrowed the problem to two weak/defective fuel injectors. I replaced them with reman injectors from GB reman. I also replaced a bad KS and cleaned the throttle body. Problem solved.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you're having, but it's a place to start. The hard part is figuring out if its the plugs, coils, injectors, or something else without having to replace everything.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:03 PM
Banned

I also have that problem of the slight vibration...I've also notice that the engine has gotten slightly louder (i dont have any engine mods) and when rev the engine frome the throtle, I hear a slight grumble. Any Ideas?
Old 10-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Who

Originally Posted by blkhawk500
I also have that problem of the slight vibration...I've also notice that the engine has gotten slightly louder (i dont have any engine mods) and when rev the engine frome the throtle, I hear a slight grumble. Any Ideas?

I was having the same problem with our 97 GXE and I swapped the muffler with our 95 SE muffler and the grumble and vibration on the GXE stopped. The SE now has the problem so I will have to get a new muffler soon. Also for you other guys, if you have a y-pipe, it is possible that the flex joint is not as long as the original flex joint and hence less flexible which would cause more vibrations at lower rpms. I'm gonna have my muffler shop increase the lenght of mine.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by rcmanzke
I had the same problem with my 95 SE automatic. The vibrating got worse over a couple weeks until I couldn't stand to drive it any more. I narrowed the problem to two weak/defective fuel injectors. I replaced them with reman injectors from GB reman. I also replaced a bad KS and cleaned the throttle body. Problem solved.

I'm not sure if this is the same problem that you're having, but it's a place to start. The hard part is figuring out if its the plugs, coils, injectors, or something else without having to replace everything.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had the spark plugs, air & fuel filters changed and it seems to be better, though not perfect... I hope the Nissan mechanics can figure it out...
Old 10-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

same problem here !~~~~

Originally Posted by blkhawk500

have the same vibration at idle, it is felt through the brake pedal
it shakes pretty bad sometimes , and the idle surges to !!!! it never dies but it surges a lot !!! when i flushed tranny fluid things got smooth but only for few days !!!
have Budget Y-pipe with stock intake, stock muffler and when reving the engine from the throttle i hear same grumble coming back from the back part of the engine it sounds not right !!!

it could be carbon build uo in the EGR system or something else !!!

keep this thread alive !!~~~
Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 PM

same problem but it only happen sometime shurgs
Old 10-11-2003, 05:16 PM

bump once more