4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

went from 4 AGX to 1 AGX and 3 Illuminas

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 07:39 PM

went from 4 AGX to 1 AGX and 3 Illuminas

... the last bottom bolt on passanger rear is stripped, need to bring it to a shop to cut it or something, also put kyb rear boots on, it gave so much travel that I screwed the screw all the way down on the top of the mount and it was still not enough, lucky the illumina comes with a whole new set of bushing and plates so I put those on. Now the top has 2 bushings, the metal plate and the screw and on top of the screw it still have like 2 inch of space ... this is also w/ modified rear strut mount like the motorvational ones

The ride on 5 up front (all the way up) felt like AGX on 2.5 somewhere between 2-3 ... it is not as stiff as 4 forsure, and the ride on 2 is amazing, the dampening on those things is also really good, I don't bounce like agx anymore.

right now I"m driving around with front illuminas on 2, rear illumina on 5 and rear agx on 4

will post pics soon
Old 09-26-2003, 08:17 PM
V^___^V

wat happened to you AGX?
Old 09-26-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
wat happened to you AGX?
they're sitting in a box right now waiting for the new owner to pick them up next week :-D

was too harsh on normal roads and too soft at autocross, I didn't like them and I wanted to try something different, also rear adjustment is a PITA

got some pics

the front dial

anyone know how to read those? theres like two white dots beside the spot where you put screw driver on, I'm assuming that I turn the dial with a flat head and between the two dots is the setting?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:35 AM

Old 09-27-2003, 09:13 PM

I got my illuminas/H&R on today as well. So far I just tried out 2/2 settings. It rides amazing and handling is decent. Do you think making the rear setting higher would help keep the wheels planted better? You think 1/1 is too soft? Roads here suck. I know I can try them all out, and I will but I'm too tired right now.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by DR0832
I got my illuminas/H&R on today as well. So far I just tried out 2/2 settings. It rides amazing and handling is decent. Do you think making the rear setting higher would help keep the wheels planted better? You think 1/1 is too soft? Roads here suck. I know I can try them all out, and I will but I'm too tired right now.
did you come from stock setup? I came from eibach & agx ... even 5/5 ride nicely to me in comparasion lol

I only have one illumina in the back becuase one of my rear agx is stuck there, the illumina feels softer so I left the back illumina on 5 and the agx on 4 (goes up to 8). Once I get that agx off next monday or tuesday I'll play around with the setting and let you know I'll also be autocrossing next sunday.

The instructions that came w/ the illumina said that for fwd car leave the front soft and the rear to full stiffness will result in more oversteer, I noticed that taking a couple hard turns last night, the car rolls more but its more netural.

I'm driving around at 2/5 right now, I tried 1 it was REALLY smooth but I kept hitting my bumpstops and 3 feels pretty firm.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:21 PM

How much do Illuminas run for a set? I am considering a new suspention set up, but money is a limiter.

Thanks,
Ted
Old 09-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by DR0832
It rides amazing and handling is decent.

The highway ride is so smooth I actually think it's better then the OEM ride, plus it handles & tracks much better.

I swapped out yet another AGX setup this weekend for Illuminas. They were coupled with Drop Zone springs. One front AGX was toast, all the shock oil leaked out. Drop Zone springs are said to be firm but the ride with the Illuminas coupled up with them was very smooth, similar to my H&R setup.

It's not the spring thats causing harsh bouncy rides, it's the AGX's. The fronts are simply overdampened. (is that a word?) The rears however do a great job of keeping the rear beam suspension planted to the ground.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd

The highway ride is so smooth I actually think it's better then the OEM ride, plus it handles & tracks much better.

I swapped out yet another AGX setup this weekend for Illuminas. They were coupled with Drop Zone springs. One front AGX was toast, all the shock oil leaked out. Drop Zone springs are said to be firm but the ride with the Illuminas coupled up with them was very smooth, similar to my H&R setup.

It's not the spring thats causing harsh bouncy rides, it's the AGX's. The fronts are simply overdampened. (is that a word?) The rears however do a great job of keeping the rear beam suspension planted to the ground.
how long were the agx on drop zone springs?

I think those things have too much compression up front and not enough dampening... it either goes over the bump without compressing or compress and then bounce a little thats waht I noticed....

maxedout, about 450 shipped thats only $50 more than agx
Old 09-28-2003, 10:30 AM

I think he said about 8 months.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:27 PM

I didn't like drop zones at all. They sagged extremely bad with my system in the trunk. I think the front was a 1.9 inch drop and the rear was about 2.6 inch drop. I think you get what you pay for. The H&R seem to sag a bit, although I have to wait for them to settle. Right now I have a 3 finger gap in the rear and 4 finger gap up front. On another note I just tried the Illuminas on a 1/1 setting and I think the 2/2 rides smoother over very bump roads.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:39 PM

just came back on the hwy... holy **** Tom its one of the best ride I've been in on the highway!!! was doing 90mph it felt like agx at 40/50.. it was so smooth and stable I couldn't believe it till I looked at the speedo like a real luxury car

but I bottomed out like twice on the highway... I'll turn them up a little I'm running 1 right now... I kinda wish my eibach is higher hehe
Old 09-28-2003, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by costcowholesale
just came back on the hwy... holy **** Tom its one of the best ride I've been in on the highway!!! was doing 90mph it felt like agx at 40/50.. it was so smooth and stable I couldn't believe it till I looked at the speedo like a real luxury car
Told ya so...
They blow the AGX's out of the water in terms of ride quality and overall performance.

They make the Maxima ride like a true luxury 4 door sports car.

Put the fronts on 2, a little more control will take away some float but still maintain that awsome smooth ride.

Enjoy the ride!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tom,

So you would recomment to Tokico Illumina's over AGK's??

What set of springs would you recommend?
Old 09-29-2003, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by MassMaxima97
Tom,

So you would recomment to Tokico Illumina's over AGK's??
Most definately.
What set of springs would you recommend?
H&R or Eibach are the best springs you can buy for your car.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

looks like illuminas have won the battle of the adjustable shocks&struts in this forum
Old 09-29-2003, 02:04 PM

dammit! what happened to the AGX's they were the shiznit. Now I gotta go spending more money for illumina's. Damn you guys put me into debt more and more I was gonna eventually do that whole deal thing that cattman has on there website too.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:56 PM

When AGXs first came out for the Max, everyone on the .org said they were the best and how awsome they are and you wouldn't blow them. Now that the Illuminas just came out they are being praised in asimilar manner.

I don't know if I want to drop $450 to find that they have the same problems as the AGX.

Ted
Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 PM

Yes the illuminas are superior. I have road on both AGX with 17's and Illuminas with 18's and illuminas ride smoother on ****ty roads and handle better. Mainly I would say spend the extra for them if you have ****ty roads in your area, and larger then stock wheels (17's +), and want a near stock ride.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:15 PM

I think illumina gives the car a little more body roll than AGX, but on normal streets where there is small bumps and stuff on turns the illuminas handle better... on perfect flat surface the agx probably have the edge... but if theres any uneven surface the agx will start bouncing... or going over the bumps without compressing and make the car go up & down