4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Change interior lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 05:23 PM

I know this may sound stupid, but is there a way I can change the color of the lights inside the car, like dome lights, step lights, etc... Do they make colored bulbs for these, or a different color lens or something like that?
Old 02-15-2001, 05:42 PM

R U serious?

Of course they do, do a search for the exact bulb #'s cause I don't know them.

If you take out the ones you wanna change and bring them in Pep boys or any auto store in the world you can find the match in prolly blue (like mine) or red or purple or whateva. The dome light is the hardest one to find. If you can't find it email me or reply to this and I'll mail you one for $10 bux + shipping, I have extras.

Easiest mod I ever did.
Old 02-15-2001, 08:04 PM

Avoid the bulbs from Pep Boys or any store similar to that. I bought blue bulbs from their and they turned puple in one week. I'm still looking for quality bulbs, and I think I found a web site that has them. Its Autofreak.net
I'm going to one of their stores this weekend to check them out. The bulb numbers for the gauges and the door bulbs are #194. There are 5 bulbs in the gauge cluster and one in each door. I'm not sure of the number for the dome light bulb, but I think there are only 2 sizes available and the one for the max is the smaller of the 2. Good Luck.

-Ken
Old 02-15-2001, 08:12 PM

lights

I got all my interior lights done. I have mine in blue color except the top light in the front, I kept it original, easier on the eyes when you are reading something or whatever.
The dome light I got almost identical to the original. They make a light like that in hyper blue, it's a little bigger than the original, but you can bend the contacts that hold the bulb outwards a bit, and the bulb will hold perfectly.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:04 PM

And I thought I was the only person who wanted to do this. Yeah I was planning on changing them to blue, but wasn't sure if they made those bulbs in those colors or not. I know what the bulb number are and stuff, they're all writtin in the owners manual. When I was at k-mart getting my BV's, I didn't see any sorts of colored bulbs like them. So I guess I'll try online. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:30 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I've done mine all red. I went to a hobby store and bought "clear red" paint. This worked perfectly. The bulbs I painted even match the ones that I bought as red.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:43 PM

yeah Ive changed the bulbs to blue too. the door lights are suppose to be blue but looks more like a light turquoise color rather that the dark neon blue I was expecting.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:55 PM

Where do you guys get these bulbs from?
Old 02-15-2001, 11:40 PM

Originally posted by Nismo
yeah Ive changed the bulbs to blue too. the door lights are suppose to be blue but looks more like a light turquoise color rather that the dark neon blue I was expecting.
I actually found some bulbs that are pure blue, not blueish or anything in those lines. I'll try to get some pix of them. If anyone is looking for them, they are called "Mood lights". I have them only on my doors. In the salon I put up hyper white bulb. Blue just looks too dark, but when the door opens, it's awsome!
Hope I helped in any way.
Old 02-17-2001, 08:08 AM

I'd have to agree. When it comes to colors for the enterior lighting, blue is just a bit too dark for my liking. These bulbs don't put out much light and are therefore usually not noticed unless your in the car. I currently have team of plasma green bulbs for my enterior. Dome, door panels, trunk light. Looks good and can be seen boy others outside of the car. I kept my Map light blue, but probably different blue then what you guys are buying. It's like a mood lamp blue (i recall someone mentioned that) and you really can't see anything with it, BUT when your on a nice dark highway and turn it on anything white is illuminated quite nicely. Thats the reason I kept it in there.
Old 02-18-2001, 07:06 AM

saran wrap...

i changed my sisters accords interior lights to blue, sort of. just went to the grocery store and bought blue saran wrap. popped off the light cover, put 4 layers of saran wrap in against the plastic shell and popped the cover back on. when you look at the cover during the day, it looks evenly blue, not clear with a blue dot (im supposing it will look that way with a blue bulb, correct me if im wrong). im sure the saran wrap will last and wont burn either (stick it in the microwave all the time ) just my "cheap" opinion. o yeah, anyone wanna try this with healights? j/k