4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NY Laws

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 01:57 AM

anybody from NY, know about the license plate laws here?
i wanna shave off my front liscense plate holder to get that clean look, but whats the local laws say on that?? Anyone know the website where i can look up motor laws? thanks
Old 02-16-2001, 05:00 AM

You must have a front mounted license plate in NYS. nm

nm
Old 02-16-2001, 07:06 AM

Re: You must have a front mounted license plate in NYS. nm

Originally posted by Albertt
nm
Oh really. The How do they sell the Corvette??? No Front Plate... Just a Bumper...

You MUST have a REAR plate..

I will leave myself some wiggle room, I am not a Lawyer ( thank god) and do not have the legal info in front of me. However i have had many friends with Corvettes... No front plate, ( their is just no place to put it)
Old 02-16-2001, 07:55 AM
spyder

you should by law have a front plate , most of the cops wont pull you over for it, a friend of mine doesnt have front plates on his car.... but keeps the plate in his trunk. all you have to do to take it off its take the bolts off and presto ... very clean looking car.....

Old 02-16-2001, 08:46 AM

I believe the law is

well at least here in Canada,

if the car comes with front license plates at purchase, then you are required to always have front license plates

Cars like the Corvette will not normally come w/ 2.

Its a scam i tell you.
Old 02-16-2001, 08:46 AM

Someone ask for an attorney????

Heres the REAL state statute (YOU DO NEED A FRONT PLATE!)> Just b/c your friend's Vettes may not have front plates doesn't make it legal-they just aint got caught yet:

MCKINNEY'S CONSOLIDATED LAWS OF NEW YORK ANNOTATED
VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC LAW
CHAPTER SEVENTY-ONE OF THE CONSOLIDATED LAWS
TITLE IV--REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
ARTICLE 14--REGISTRATION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
Copr. © West Group 2000. All rights reserved.
Current through L.2000, chs. 2 to 277, 279 to 405, 407 to 416

§ 402. Distinctive number; form of number plates; trailers

1. No person shall operate, drive or park a motor vehicle on the public highways of this state unless such vehicle shall have a distinctive number assigned to it by the commissioner and a set of number plates issued by the commissioner with a number and other identification matter if any, corresponding to that of the certificate of registration conspicuously displayed, ONE ON THE FRONT AND one on the rear of such vehicle, each securely fastened so as to prevent the same from swinging and placed, whenever reasonably possible, not higher than forty-eight inches and not lower than twelve inches from the ground; provided, however, that in any registration year for which only one number plate is issued, such number plate shall constitute a set of number plates for the time in which such use is authorized, shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its front, except in case of a tractor, when such number plate shall be displayed on the front of the vehicle and none shall be displayed on its rear. Number plates shall be kept clean and in a condition so as to be easily readable and shall not be covered by glass or any plastic material, and the view thereof shall not be obstructed by any part of the vehicle or by anything carried thereon.
2. [Eff. until Dec. 8, 1996. See, also, subd. 2 below.] Such number plates shall be of such material, form, design and dimensions and contain or set forth such distinguishing number or other identification marks as the commissioner shall prescribe, provided, however, that there shall be at all times a marked contrast between the color of the number plates and that of the numerals or letters thereon, and provided further that no vehicle shall display the number plates of more than one state at a time except where the vehicle is required to be registered in more than one state, nor shall any plate be used other than those issued by the commissioner.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:35 AM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

my boss

has a 00 vette and he has a plate in front, but i do remember him saying that he had to pay a little extra to mount it. the vette's don't come with a front plate because not all states require it.

don't want a front plate? get a pba card and call it a day. it'll get you out of most of the tickets. especially tickets like a no front plate, hiper bulbs in the back plates and reverse lights, corners signals ,etc. tints blah blah blah...

julius
Old 02-16-2001, 11:42 AM

uhhh whats a pba card? =p
Old 02-16-2001, 12:22 PM

Bluefish: Hmmm, according kratz74's post, yes...really. nm

nm
Old 02-16-2001, 01:04 PM
spyder

hmmm PBA card wont get you out of a 120 in a 55 .... you have to know a governor, and a couple of captains, oh and knowing the trooper that pulled you over helps

Old 02-17-2001, 01:41 PM
Finally, A New Status Title...How About Donating Maxima.org Member...Oh wait...NO!!!

umm yeah, ....

but who the hell in their right mind would be doing 120 in a 55? ohh by the way a pba card is a Police Benevolancy Assocoation card which cops give to family member and friends and usually gets them off for petty sh*t. like hiper bulbs, running a light(sometimes) speeding(rarely but sometimes) as long as your not going 120 in a 55...i've gotten off of 70 in a 55.

but it won't save your *** all the time so don't think if you have one, your 100% free from pettty tickets. besides you can talk you way out of alot of situations. i used to use the front license plate fell off bit and its in the trunk, i'm heading to the hardware store right now. but not having the plate is a pain in the *** even if your pulled over for 5 minutes to tell the story or pull out a pba card.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:13 PM

On Deer Park Avenue on Long Island, NY Suffolk County Cops really break ***** about the front license plate... i dont really see the damn importance... cops dont chase us from the front... the only way they see a plate is from the rear.
Old 02-20-2001, 07:35 PM

Cops

Cops most likly won't pull you over for that, unless they're just being real ****s, it'll be like an add-on type of thing, like not wearing a seat belt. You can usually get away with not having a front plate on by say, "some on backed into me and it broke off, I ordered a new one but its not in yet." Or some crap like that. You get the idea. Just make sure the same cop doesn't pull you over with the a reasonable amount of time.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:20 PM
compu_squid

It's funny I live up in Huntington north of the Village, and the oldsters in their Caddy's, monster SUV's and krautwagons pay absolutely no attention to anyone (never using a turn signal, never looking before turning, etc.) But 5 miles down in DPA anyone on a Weekend night under 30 passing wind within 100 feet of an autombile is getting a ticket for any "creative" enforcement the SCPD can think of. At least DPA is the only region of Suffolk that is that bad.

Originally posted by Maxima97GLE
On Deer Park Avenue on Long Island, NY Suffolk County Cops really break ***** about the front license plate... i dont really see the damn importance... cops dont chase us from the front... the only way they see a plate is from the rear.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:56 PM

i think im gonna test the suffolk county police department this friday when i go up to DPA... im gonna take my license plate and holder off and see what happens i'll post up what happens on monday to let u guys kno whats up
Old 02-21-2001, 10:47 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I don't see the big deal about having front license plates

They don't make cars look bad, I don't even pay attention to them...
I bought my car in Pensylvania(sp?) used last year and it didn't even have any holes or traces of plates being mounted in the front.. no big deal to me.
I'm in NY and yes you are required to have them by law.