4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will these coilovers fit any struts or only tockico shocks Please Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 08:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Will these coilovers fit any struts or only tockico shocks Please Advice

Hello i posted a thread before but i didnt get enough suggestions that would solve my problem my eyes are on these coilovers please people tell me if i buy these coilovers would they fit any struts or no ? thanx
-Sal
Old 10-08-2003, 11:04 PM

i was wondering the same thing
Old 10-09-2003, 12:18 AM
ivelweyz

thing is coilovers suck so buy springs instead. I guess all shocks should work with those...

Old 10-09-2003, 12:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
thing is coilovers suck so buy springs instead. ...
can u explain?

The pic look like Ground Control coilovers. I would ask to see if there's any numbers on the springs. Then call Ground control and reverse-lookup to see what struts they'll work with. The Gen2 GC are more strut specifc. Gen1 GC will work with nearly everything, but are not optimized/tweaked.

Jae
Old 10-09-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
can u explain?

The pic look like Ground Control coilovers. I would ask to see if there's any numbers on the springs. Then call Ground control and reverse-lookup to see what struts they'll work with. The Gen2 GC are more strut specifc. Gen1 GC will work with nearly everything, but are not optimized/tweaked.

Jae
thats a good approach thanx
-Sal
Old 10-09-2003, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
thing is coilovers suck so buy springs instead. I guess all shocks should work with those...
my ten chars
Old 10-09-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by kenji
my ten chars
Even if they don't fit: You can make them fit by cutting off the top metal cap at the top of the strut body. I used a grinder to grind it through on one side then pry it off, takes 5 mins per strut. Some say grind it down but that would take hours so just cut it off completely.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:47 PM

Ya GC's blow - ride is so horrible...especially with Joke-i-cos for struts. Mine are on the lowest setting = 3 inches and I get scared sometimes due to bending a rim, axle, anything else you can imagine, and the air that I get over humps in the road sometimes is really frightening. You have to really take your time when driving.

If you have a stock strut laying around try and fit that threaded sleeve over it - if no fit then it wont fit those tokicos either. But you can see the top collar that needs to be cut off.

By the way, they will fit on the backs fine, no problems there. So you could slam the back end all the way and it releives alot of weight off the fron suspension - making your ride luxurious - but again unsafe due to possibility of hydroplaning and losing control when romping on it, I know this from experience. On the good side you can lift tha back end all the way for track time to get all that extra traction on the launch.

PM me if you really need some further direction.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 PM

I think the negative reviews of GC's are from ricers. For those who do not enjoy the ride quality from GC, did you know you can call GC direct and get softer springs to your taste? I would never buy GC online because you don't know which strut you're supposed to pair it w/ (unless u order from a knowledgable shop).
Get GC if you need the increased handling and wish to play with corner balancing.
Get springs if you've got a soft butt.
Jae
Old 10-10-2003, 03:10 AM

Thank you very much people i appreciate all of your posts and suggestions.. i think i will just buy some adjustable struts with springs.. that will help my problemo i guess..
-Sal
Old 10-10-2003, 08:42 AM

watch who u call ricers.. might po someone
Old 10-10-2003, 08:05 PM

Why would someone buy GC w/o expecting a harsher ride?
Jae
Old 10-10-2003, 08:24 PM

Probably because they have absolutely no idea what they're doing.

Slamming your car all the way down is going to affect the ride. It's the main reason people buy coilovers. They want to slam their cars. And if you slam your car, you're going to bottom out. And if you bottom out, then your car is riding like absolute crap.

GC's are stiffer than any of the lowering springs for the Maxima. Buying the stiffest springs available and then pairing them with stock shocks or Tokicos is going to lead to a horrible ride. Then slamming it all the way down is just compounding things. And yet people complain like it's GC's fault for making a bad product. Trying running them at a reasonable height and with decent shocks, you'd be surprised at how well they ride.

I have GC's. They didn't ride so great with the Tokicos I used to have. Put the AGX's on there, they ride just fine. The ride is stiffer, but that's no big deal.

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Why would someone buy GC w/o expecting a harsher ride?
Jae
Old 10-10-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow

Slamming your car all the way down is going to affect the ride. It's the main reason people buy coilovers. They want to slam their cars. And if you slam your car, you're going to bottom out. And if you bottom out, then your car is riding like absolute crap.

GC's are stiffer than any of the lowering springs for the Maxima. Buying the stiffest springs available and then pairing them with stock shocks or Tokicos is going to lead to a horrible ride. Then slamming it all the way down is just compounding things. And yet people complain like it's GC's fault for making a bad product. Trying running them at a reasonable height and with decent shocks, you'd be surprised at how well they ride.

I have GC's. They didn't ride so great with the Tokicos I used to have. Put the AGX's on there, they ride just fine. The ride is stiffer, but that's no big deal.
Now thats a good advice..
-Thanx
Sal
Old 10-10-2003, 09:10 PM

well it all depends on your roads. If you live in the south or other warm climate where the roads are nice you can manage with a stiff ride. If you live in new england or a big city up north where theres really no such thing as a smooth road, you in for a big surpirse. Get tockico illuminas. They are by far the smoothest and one of the best handling struts.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Boosted?....

Originally Posted by Shadow

How loud are the GC coilovers? I have been shying away from them, since I know coilover are very noisey. I had a friend that had coilover's in his integra and it was just so annoying sitting in it. Klunk klunk klunk over every bump. I am looking to even out my car. Currently it is sitting on Eibach, Tokico fr, AGX rears. The butt sags a lot. 3 fingers in the front and 1 in the rear. So far, i'm considering cutting a coil on the eibachs and deal with the bounciness or get just a front pair of coilovers to compensate for the height difference. Let me know what you think shadow.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:48 PM
Always sunny in philly

my previous setup was GC as well. The main reason i got these were to be able to get the "lowered" look, heard the controlled cornering was excellent, and the ability to raise and lower your car at desire. i live in a weather crazy state, so thats why i went with them.

i was told that only tokico blues would only fit on these bad boys, and honest to god, the ride was really horrible. my first initial drop was about 3 inches...then after the scrapping and bottoming out, i went ahead and raised it up to about 2 inch drop.

i've never had them long enough swap the blues for agx's, but IMO (especially since u are from NY), springs are the way to go.

i love my progress w/agx setup!