4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Sluuuuugish

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sluuuuugish

My 99SE with slop-o-matic is a dog under normal acceleration. Almost like its in to high a gear too soon. Course if I smash it to the floor it takes off, but I shouldn't have to go that extreme. Maybe I shoulda kept my 99SE 5spd (felt like a rocket... bone stock SE).

Read the org and saw numerous references to O2 sensors, KS, etc. causing sluggishness. So I checked codes, but 55 means all is OK as far as the ECU goes. KS is a perfect 550Kohm. I don't really want to spend 2 bills to find out the O2 sensors are fine. What gives?

Jeff's VB mod is on the way, hopefully to save the day. Budget Y arriving as well. Oh, H&Rs with KYB GR-2s and dustboots coming, too.
I'm trying to get it right the first time.

Just wish the snap was similar to the 5 speed. Both cars are 1 owners with 57k miles. On the bright side, I'm enjoying the sunroof, leather heated seats, etc on the way to work.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas on what the probs could be or am I just the owner or an arrgh-o-matic, luxo car?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:42 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

auto magic owns u
Old 10-15-2003, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by bng4bk
My 99SE with slop-o-matic is a dog under normal acceleration. Almost like its in to high a gear too soon. Course if I smash it to the floor it takes off, but I shouldn't have to go that extreme. Maybe I shoulda kept my 99SE 5spd (felt like a rocket... bone stock SE).

Read the org and saw numerous references to O2 sensors, KS, etc. causing sluggishness. So I checked codes, but 55 means all is OK as far as the ECU goes. KS is a perfect 550Kohm. I don't really want to spend 2 bills to find out the O2 sensors are fine. What gives?

Jeff's VB mod is on the way, hopefully to save the day. Budget Y arriving as well. Oh, H&Rs with KYB GR-2s and dustboots coming, too.

Just wish the snap was similar to the 5 speed. Both cars are 1 owners with 57k miles. On the bright side, I'm enjoying the sunroof, leather heated seats, etc on the way to work.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas on what the probs could be or am I just the owner or an arrgh-o-matic, luxo car?
Is it s dumb Q to ask why the hell you bought an auto?
Why did you sell your 5spd 99?

im just soo curious
Old 10-15-2003, 07:50 PM
vsamoylov

i got an auto and i like it. whats wrong with an aut?

Old 10-15-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by VQvroom

im just soo curious
It was white with a permanently scuffed tan interior, stock SE, paint challenged and I made $1700 for owning it for 1 month. Any more questions?

By the way, my arrgh-o-matic is a beautiful Sterling mist with dark tint, black leather and every option minus traction control, and I paid effectively $1700 under market for the car I really wanted. My left leg no longer bothers me after driving the commute (I'm old). At present, I'm praying for salvation from Jeff's VB mod! DAMN I MISS THE 5SPD, but life is full of trade-offs.
Old 10-15-2003, 08:52 PM

It was white with a permanently scuffed tan interior, stock SE, paint challenged and I made $1700 for owning it for 1 month. Any more questions?

By the way, my arrgh-o-matic is a beautiful Sterling mist with dark tint, black leather and every option minus traction control, and I paid effectively $1700 under market for the car I really wanted. My left leg no longer bothers me after driving the commute (I'm old). At present, I'm praying for salvation from Jeff's VB mod! DAMN I MISS THE 5SPD, but life is full of trade-offs.

HEHE i have all that and TCS. Man i own/drive a 99 SE auto. We prefer automagic.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by VQvroom

im just soo curious

some ppl are just jealous when they have to shift like a mother in a traffic jam.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:41 PM
be the change u want2C

Man your crasy, auto is going no where, as soon as I can get my hands on a Stick im doing it, Auto you cant boost or anything, The tranny starts bukleing even @ 5psi, and doesnt even function at 7psi. Your asking for trouble if your gonna do something crasy with an auto. Theres a guy on the forum who got a level 10 tranny or something like that and it still broke under 8 psi. Why did you switch your 5spd to auto, you must have some screws loose or something
Old 10-15-2003, 10:00 PM

Try out the following maintenance if there are no service records with the car you just bought: It is probably ready for the 60K mile maintenance anyway.

1. Throttle body cleaning
2. Fuel injector cleaning
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Clean MAF sensor element with isopropyl alcohol. (especially if the car has a K&N oiled air filter.)
5. Do a full transmission flush. (fluid viscosity breakdown will make the tranny run sluggishly.)
6. Change spark plugs.
7. Change oil and filter.
8. Fill up on some good 92 octane gas for a few tanks (maybe the ECU is adapted to the previous owner being a cheapskate on the gas)
Old 10-15-2003, 10:24 PM

i have an auto (selling for 5speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ) and when i got a new throttle body *similar to cleaning* acceleration was much smoother, and throttle response was better. try cleaning the the throttle body.

the the need to "get on it" to go anywhere cant be fixed. its the curse of the 4speed automatic nissan trans. the problem is that you could be goind along and never reach over 20mph but be in 4thgear, thats why it has pick up when you floor it. it downshifts to a lower gear, 3rd or 2nd.

also, try driving with your overdrive off, if in traffic or around town with out reaching speeds of over 35 or so. this locks out 4th gear, and may help a litttle
Old 10-16-2003, 08:42 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
i got an auto and i like it. whats wrong with an aut?

have you ever driven a 5speed maxima?
Old 10-16-2003, 10:18 AM

same problem here...i think it is the torque converter
Old 10-16-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by chris j vurnis
Try out the following maintenance if there are no service records with the car you just bought: It is probably ready for the 60K mile maintenance anyway.

1. Throttle body cleaning
2. Fuel injector cleaning
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Clean MAF sensor element with isopropyl alcohol. (especially if the car has a K&N oiled air filter.)
5. Do a full transmission flush. (fluid viscosity breakdown will make the tranny run sluggishly.)
6. Change spark plugs.
7. Change oil and filter.
8. Fill up on some good 92 octane gas for a few tanks (maybe the ECU is adapted to the previous owner being a cheapskate on the gas)
Thanks for the advice, that's the kind of tips I was looking for. I was about to perform all of the 60K service. The owner of my previous car the 5 speed with the same mileage, said they hadn't yet done the 60k service, (I doubt they did much at all). I believe both cars were in a pretty similar mechanical state, actually better on the auto.

Your reference to the tranny flush is the first I've heard on this site. I was going to do that anyway, based on advice to do so for my Caravan. Dodge autos suck, so anything to make them last is worth the money. I had the full transfusion done at 30K. It was recommended that the filter be done at 60k and another transfusion at 90k. I've read that this removes 80% more contaminants (possible marketing hype). At any rate, I didn't a reference to flushing in the Nissan owners manual maintenace schedules.

That aside, one thing I can never be sure of is what gas the original owner used, but they were thorough about their servicing and seemd to treat it like a valuable car.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the VB mod won't do much for the sluggishness below 4000, which may be money down the tubes in an effort to improve off the line driveability. I'm hoping the VB mod not only changes the crispness of the shifts, but the shift points as it seems to shift up too soon. I don't think the advice to drive around with OD off is really the solution. All it does is disable 4th. My gripe with the performance occurs much earlier than when I get to 4th.
Old 10-16-2003, 10:43 AM

VB mod only gives quicker shifts, u may check it out by using the drop resistor mod, and youll see it does not help down low
Old 10-16-2003, 01:29 PM

ÇΓÄP-▀-má╤îç HαS Ü

▓▓▓▓▓ ▒▒▒▒▒

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▬▄
Old 10-16-2003, 01:43 PM
silver99

Originally Posted by nismos14
have you ever driven a 5speed maxima?

YAH I own one. the 5spd trans blew out on me 2 times. What a joy that was. I now own an auto maxima and love it.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:45 PM

I have 97 GLE auto and had the same sluggish acceleration. It was as if I needed to press the gas more to get to the next level of speed. It was not a gear shift or anything. But recently I had to replace my alternator and since then the acceleration is smooth and faster. Maybe the output of alternator was erratic and that was causing the sluggishness! I dont know how it works into the mechanics of the car. But it sure helped!